Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 Channel with two separate strings

Denny

Does anyone see a reason that two sets of leads could not be run from a single plug to two different sets of pixels?  Fire dept. is doing a truck for the parade which will be identical on each side.  They want to run pixels down each side of a boom that will be exactly the same on each side.  Rather than use two different channels, it would make life easier with this short notice just to tap each set of pixels off one channel.  Each side would be 100 pixels of 5VDC.

100 5V pixels on ONE side is too much without power injection

100 12V ones would be barely doable (current wise) stand alone.

No way you could have 200 pix attached without power injection  150 of them

You did use the word easier 😛  Since most vehicles us 12V.... why 5V choice?

and AFAIK the Data and ground could be used as you said

Edited by TheDucks

4 hours ago, TheDucks said:

100 5V pixels on ONE side is too much without power injection

100 12V ones would be barely doable (current wise) stand alone.

No way you could have 200 pix attached without power injection  150 of them

You did use the word easier 😛  Since most vehicles us 12V.... why 5V choice?

and AFAIK the Data and ground could be used as you said

I am doing power injection every 50 pixels, guess I should have said that.  We are using the truck's on-board, full wave generator to power the lights since we are using the CTB 16 for control of regular 120 volt lights.  We did a 12 strand X 50 pixels pixel tree at the rear of the truck and ran a test show last night off of the generator last night and everything ran well.  They just want to make a last minute change and add pixels along the boom.  Went with 5 volt pixels since I had 30 strings of them that I could donate to the cause.  This is my first time using the Pixie 16D, having always used SanDevices and JSys controllers for my own show.  I wanted to keep everything uniform for them since they are just learning and figured the LOR system was the easiest way for them to go since it all works seamlessly together.  After the holidays, have to give them some lessons in sequencing so they can do next year's show on their own.  I did advise them to use 12 Volt pixels in the future, though.  Thanks for the input, though.  Going to try sending the signal from a single Pixie port in two directions tonight and see if it works.  First of four Christmas parades is this Friday; they have to stop adding things!

• The topic was locked