Light-O-Rama Forums

G3-MP3 - How many pixels per network, How many pixels can a pixie16 handle

stevej_1

Hi all,

This question is both software and hardware related.

I am wondering if there is a methodology or way to squeeze the most out of the 2 networks on a G3-MP3 director?

I am running 3 x pixie16's 1 x pixie 4, 3 x CMB24D's, 1 x CTB16PC using a G3-MP3 to run the show over the regular and aux network as ELOR at 500k.

Regular network has 2 x pixie 16's, 1 x pixie 4 (850 pixels total), 3 x CMB24D's and 1 x CTB16PC - it isn't missing a beat! - note I am only utilising 19 out of 24 pixie16 channels.

Aux network only has 1 x pixie 16 (1300 pixels total) -  it is problematic - utilising 15 out of 16 pixie16 channels

Some motion effects are entirely missed during the show. Usually the grouped whole house effect utilising the 1300 pixels. These effects are playing in the S5 preview window, no conflicts.

Should I try to get the pixel spread even across both networks? or should a fully loaded pixie16 be fine on its own network? That was my original assumption and reason for keeping that one unit loaded up.

It would help with troubleshooting if someone can confirm that a network dedicated to one pixie16 with 1300 pixels should be fine.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

The 16 in Pixie 16 means 16 ports. each node is 3 channels.

Are you confusing the dumb, CMB 24 with a pixie?   IMHO you would have to work very hard to max out a Dumb only network

OTOH a real Pixie16 with all 16 ports with 100 pixels is really close.

If your show is slow and simple, you probably can go further and share with the Pixie4  It is all about thruput.

Thanks Ducks..

Yes I confused the issue - writing the post at 1am didn't help me ;) It is indeed Ports not Channels.

Aux network only has 1 x pixie 16 (1300 pixels total) -  it is problematic - utilising 15 out of 16 pixie16 ports

Regular network has 2 x pixie 16's, 1 x pixie 4 (850 pixels total), 3 x CMB24D's and 1 x CTB16PC - it isn't missing a beat! - note I am only utilising 19 out of a possible 24 Ports on the 2 pixie16's

The troubleshooting I'm going to try is..

Step one.. Replace the Cat5e cable to the troublesome Pixie on the Aux network.

Step two.. Reconfigure the layout/configuration so each network has around 1075 pixels

Step three.. Start saving for a G4-MP3 or run the show from a laptop

Ok so not the Cat5..

I am wondering if it isn't a power supply issue?

Just a guess, but if only 1 Pixie16 out of 3 is not playing the motion effect for a section of a song could it be the power supply for that unit is not sufficient? This is only happening when it's a full house effect with yellow and white etc..

It could for sure be a power issue if it's  only happening with white and yellow, if other colors are fine, it's power. Can you lower the intensity on the controller or doesn't LOR give you that option? I notice a lot of pixel folks running at 100% intensity and that's not necessary, they look better lower and save you tons of power. I run my entire show at 20%.

Thanks Sully..

Sorry for the late reply but yes the problem was indeed a power supply issue.

I have IP rated 12V power supplies (30 Amp) but didn't realise the pixies can draw up to 60 amp.

Added additional supplies to 2 controllers and the problem is now solved.

From my understanding  LOR will allow you to lower the intensity but it's per channel and done during creation of the sequence so I might try that trick next year with some new songs.

Cheers

I am picking Nits. Pixies do not USE 60A, They CAN DISTRIBUTE up to 60A (30A per bank). It is the Strings (the load) that suck power. White is the worst case with R,G&B all on

just a string power WAG: 100 White: 15*5= 75A  :o   (and they could be a bit higher. My HC bullets run 3A/50)

Not only do you have that poor 30A gasping, you have overloaded BOTH buses.

You need to:

Get 3 more 30A supplies (1 for the other bank feed) PLUS use the other 2 (1 per banks members) to  Power inject the .ALL the 100 node strings

Avoiding a high percentage of White nodes , keeps the demand lower.

• The topic was locked