Light-O-Rama Forums

PixCon16 not found

Ag99JYD

Joe White posted 11/30/19 2:09 AM  
I can not find the PixCon 16 under Network preferences. When selecting "Find PixCon" it comes back with no devices found. I have tried connecting PixCon to PC via Cat5 and USB485B; PixCon to Router; PixCon to 485 High Speed. Checked COM port 3 & 5, restarting each time. Device Manager has COM Port 3 and 5 as good and drivers checked. I have a USB Hub connected that shows as Com Port 5. COM3 listed at 1000k, Enhanced LOR. I have reset the factory IP, and also a factory reset. Randomly, the connected pixels after factory reset and changed the port in Network Preferences to Com 3, did come on as static blue, but still PixCon cannot be found. Although not all lights come one. On one string, only the first light comes on. This one is connected to the PixCon with 3 sets of extensions - 25', and 2 5'. On another (2 50 pixels strings connected), about half of the second string comes on. This one has 2 25' extensions. 

I was able to connect a few days ago, but had trouble connecting PixCon and CTB16, learning then that I needed 2 networks. 

I have available: USB485B; USB485HS; G4 Director; PixCon16; CTB16; 2 ELL's; 2 CC2's. I've attached my notes from the previous test where I did get the PixCon working.

PixCon System test.txt

I don't have a Picon16, but I have a few recollections from other people's posts about them.  As you know, the Pixcon16 can be controllers either via LOR commands via an Enhanced LOR Network OR via E1.31 over Ethernet.  Configuration needs to be done via Ethernet, but here is the part that may help.  If I recall, you can't have a LOR network connected while doing the configuration, nor can you have an Ethernet network connection when controlling the card via a LOR network.  I don't know if this is 100% correct, but I seem to recall something along those lines.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:32 AM, Ag99JYD said:
Joe White posted 11/30/19 2:09 AM  
I can not find the PixCon 16 under Network preferences. When selecting "Find PixCon" it comes back with no devices found. I have tried connecting PixCon to PC via Cat5 and USB485B; PixCon to Router; PixCon to 485 High Speed. Checked COM port 3 & 5, restarting each time. Device Manager has COM Port 3 and 5 as good and drivers checked. I have a USB Hub connected that shows as Com Port 5. COM3 listed at 1000k, Enhanced LOR. I have reset the factory IP, and also a factory reset. Randomly, the connected pixels after factory reset and changed the port in Network Preferences to Com 3, did come on as static blue, but still PixCon cannot be found. Although not all lights come one. On one string, only the first light comes on. This one is connected to the PixCon with 3 sets of extensions - 25', and 2 5'. On another (2 50 pixels strings connected), about half of the second string comes on. This one has 2 25' extensions. 

I was able to connect a few days ago, but had trouble connecting PixCon and CTB16, learning then that I needed 2 networks. 

I have available: USB485B; USB485HS; G4 Director; PixCon16; CTB16; 2 ELL's; 2 CC2's. I've attached my notes from the previous test where I did get the PixCon working.

PixCon System test.txt 3.3 kB · 1 download

I was going thru some notes from last year and figured out that I had to run my Pixcons on their separate network.  They also had to be on the Regular, not Aux network.  I terminated the last unit on the chain.  

I did not mix in any other controllers with these.  I'm resetting my network to this configuration today.  Maybe it will help you.

5 hours ago, pouterson1 said:

They also had to be on the Regular, not Aux network. 

That part is not correct.  Assuming you are going to be controlling the Pixcon16 via LOR networking (as opposed to E1.31), the only requirement is that it be a 500K or 1000K Enhanced network.  It does not care if it's your Regular or one of the Aux networks.

Interesting, Jim.  Support told me they had to be on a regular network.  I'm moving over to Pixie16s anyway.  The Pixcons are too finicky for me.  Question, once I get them configured, how do I manage them?  I'm assuming the HU doesn't work or recognize them.  Do I do it thru the Network utility?  I'm also using them in the LOR protocol.  Thanks.

Paul

Don't know as I don't have any.  I can only echo what others have comments about them here.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:57 PM, k6ccc said:

you can't have a LOR network connected while doing the configuration, nor can you have an Ethernet network connection when controlling the card via a LOR network.

Great point, thanks.  

A few updates.  The two strings mentioned with issues appear to be dead/faulty.  I had 1 extra and did some testing and confirmed.  So I will contact LOR as those came part of a package. 

I was able to 'find' the PixCon, but ran into some errors.  Attache are my notes, but essentially connecting the PixCon to my Surface throught the Ethernet port on the controller (silver) and a Cat5 adapter into the USB port with Wifi off on the Surface, I can find the PixCon.  However I then get an error message that device config could not be loaded.  I've tried a factory reset - nothing different.  I have an old E1200 Linksys router that I will turn off wireless and try again.  

System test_compressed reduced.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the assistance.  Circling back and to close out, it turns out there was a bad port on the router.  I swapped with a netgear switch and everything worked.  

Thanks again!

• The topic was locked