Light-O-Rama Forums

The Great Christmas Light Fight TV Show 2019

Orville

5 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Might as well put TSO on there. THAT would be worth watching. 

Yes that would!  That's a light show all right!

6 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Similar budget too.......

I guarantee that I don't have enough audio amplifier to equal TSO either!

5 hours ago, tlogan said:

Overall, I feel the same about the show. There is NO WAY I could compete, I simply don't have the yard. I think it would a good idea to create "tiers" of sizes and types of displays. And I'd like to see more about the setup and what really went in to setting it up. But most of the home improvement type shows have gotten away from that and only want to show you the finished product.

And don't get me started on what America's Got Talent has become.

I think tiers would be great. Also would like to see more behind the scenes. This show actually got me started into this money pit hobby when I saw Blue blue Christmas on light fight. As for America’s got talent, it should be named world’s got talent cause 90 percent of the show isn’t America. Don’t get me started on this one. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tlogan said:

Do you have an outdoor antenna? My in-laws in Wisconsin (well north of Green Bay) were having the same problem when the changeover occurred. My wife and I decided to pay for a new antenna. it turned out the Antenna was fine, there a break in the cable from the roof, and some of the connections corroded. They ran a new line and everything has been FAR better. If you have an outside antenna, it's worth checking. And you should be getting a better picture as the over the air signals are not compressed the way cable companies do. We pay for cable and get a compressed signal. Although lately it doesn't seem quite as bad as it has been. My guess is they are feeling the effect of cord-cutters and need to compete on quality.

Nope, indoor antenna's mounted to the roof inside.  No outdoor antenna allowed where I am.  An outdoor antenna would probably be much better, but seeing the home park doesn't allow them, can't have one.  I'd prefer one, they allow Satellite Dishes, and to me they are just as "unsightly and ugly" as any TV antenna is considered by this bozo's!

Cable is just too dadblasted expensive, had it for years, and it's just not worth the expense.

4 minutes ago, Orville said:

Cable is just too dadblasted expensive, had it for years, and it's just not worth the expense.

It might be worth checking/replacing the cable anyway. Maybe a critter gnawed on it just enough to cause a problem. Maybe add a signal booster.

If it wasn't for the fact that they bundle everything now, I would probably drop cable TV. The whole original idea (HBO) was you're PAYING for it so there shouldn't be any commercials. Now look what it's become! I get a hundred+ channels and probably watch the same 10 or 12 and 4 of those are the networks that I could get for free anyway. And the only way to watch the Nationals is through cable. 

16 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

I recorded the first nlghts show and fast forwarded thru really fast after doing Lights for 13 years I don't really think it's what's most of us on this forum do maybe wrong but I won't watch anymore .

There was one home on there that had some animation to it, and I thought that was pretty cool the way the brothers came up with animating a set of lights to twinkle like a flowing river using a simple motor and 4 contacts to do the switching{twinkling/shimmer effect combined}.  As well as using windshield wiper motors to animate other things in their display they built together. 

And to me, that was the one that should have won.  Because these guys hand made EVERYTHING that was animated, including the components that animated them, and then added lights to them.  It was simple and cheap in what they built to do the animations.  I was surprised at what they came up with that actually did some things {to me} better than what some of our expensive controllers and RGB lights can do. 

So to me that was the most interesting display from the 2 back to back shows I watched.  I couldn't believe they weren't a winning house!  

To me, the best displays are those that folks actually have the talent {wish I did} to create this stuff and make it look good, then animate it too.  Definite winner in my book.

1 minute ago, tlogan said:

It might be worth checking/replacing the cable anyway. Maybe a critter gnawed on it just enough to cause a problem. Maybe add a signal booster.

If it wasn't for the fact that they bundle everything now, I would probably drop cable TV. The whole original idea (HBO) was you're PAYING for it so there shouldn't be any commercials. Now look what it's become! I get a hundred+ channels and probably watch the same 10 or 12 and 4 of those are the networks that I could get for free anyway. And the only way to watch the Nationals is through cable. 

Cable to the antenna is hard wired directly into them.  They're a flat flimsy weird looking antenna that sort of looks like a wing.  I know the cables aren't gnawed, no critter would be able to do that where they are, they are directly tied down with screw down cable clams on the roof, just above our bed and I check them for tightness and damage at least every 2 weeks or so.  Just checked them a few days ago, no issues found.  It's probably because they are indoors, but some of these stations have RE-ORIENTED their antennas, and now the signal is worse, whereas it may not have been bad or not as bad, but since there moving their antenna, some channels that we got just fine are now really worse.

9 minutes ago, Orville said:

Cable to the antenna is hard wired directly into them.  They're a flat flimsy weird looking antenna that sort of looks like a wing.  I know the cables aren't gnawed, no critter would be able to do that where they are, they are directly tied down with screw down cable clams on the roof, just above our bed and I check them for tightness and damage at least every 2 weeks or so.  Just checked them a few days ago, no issues found.  It's probably because they are indoors, but some of these stations have RE-ORIENTED their antennas, and now the signal is worse, whereas it may not have been bad or not as bad, but since there moving their antenna, some channels that we got just fine are now really worse.

Not much you can do when they re-orient theirs except try to re-orient yours. Sorry it's such a problem for you.

17 minutes ago, Orville said:

To me, the best displays are those that folks actually have the talent {wish I did} to create this stuff and make it look good, then animate it too.  Definite winner in my book.

Agreed 100%! I thought that was pretty clever contraption they built.

Anyone else put out a Pirate Ship (with a suspicious Disney looking influence) at Christmas? Just curious.

24 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Agreed 100%! I thought that was pretty clever contraption they built.

Anyone else put out a Pirate Ship (with a suspicious Disney looking influence) at Christmas? Just curious.

Well he did say it was inspired, and taken from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney! LOL  But he did build it completely himself.  That was pretty awesome.

12 hours ago, DougP said:

I think that if something isn't in your display every night it should not be allowed.

If you referring to the folks that take in their figurines every night, I totally agree.

Who in their right mind would create such beautiful figurines and then NOT USE WEATHERPROOF material for them?  30-40+ minutes every night to take them down and inside, then another 30-40+ minutes to put them back out every day.  That's just insane!

And another thing that gets me with the show, every show I've seen thus far starts out with a really great RGB Animated to Music Display, and all the rest are usually STATIC Displays, how can you FAIRLY JUDGE that RGB Display against those that CAN NOT EVEN COMPARE to that?

I'll watch the last 2 shows of this season, but next year, I believe I'll forgo this show.   It just doesn't seem really fair in how they set up the competition to each house.

If it were ALL static type displays in competition, no issue, or if all were animated lights to music that could be judged against each other, that would make more sense.  But this show has, too me, gone completely off it's rocking chair in how they set up the homes for each show and judge them, when more often than not, there really isn't a true or fair competitiveness to the show or the homes on each show that are portrayed.

We get one WOW factor at the start, but then the rest are, most often, a let down after that first home that really had the WOW factor to it.

48 minutes ago, Orville said:

If you referring to the folks that take in their figurines every night, I totally agree.

No, at least their show is the same every night. I'm talking about the ones that have real people dancing, singing in their display for the show. I bet if you go see their display the next week they are not there.

7 hours ago, DougP said:

No, at least their show is the same every night. I'm talking about the ones that have real people dancing, singing in their display for the show. I bet if you go see their display the next week they are not there.

That may or may not be true.  I have seen some local displays that have live dancers or folks doing things in them, and they've been there every night the display was in operation, until after Christmas, then they were no longer there.  But that would make sense to me.

Others, I have seen this happen where opening night, or for a few days, they had live actors/dancers, but, like you said, they weren't there every night.  Some I've seen only have them on weekends {Friday/Saturday}.   So I'd say it's definitely a hit or miss situation.

Did you guys see last episodes large venue winner. It cost 21 dollars to get in while the other one gave food and hot chocolate for free. Also the nut case robo guy was amazing. I could watch him without a light show. Paid venues should not be able to compete in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Euro92 said:

Did you guys see last episodes large venue winner. It cost 21 dollars to get in while the other one gave food and hot chocolate for free. Also the nut case robo guy was amazing. I could watch him without a light show. Paid venues should not be able to compete in my opinion.

I missed that one where a person was charging $21 entrance fee to gat in.   To me, that is just downright appalling for someone to do.  Asking for donations is one thing, but demanding a fee to see YOUR display is a bit outrageous too me.   But I totally agree, if you have to "pay to see it", then it SHOULD NEVER be allowed in the competition.   Only shows OPEN TO EVERYONE {at NO CHARGE!} should be allowed to compete!  So totally agree with you on that.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked