Light-O-Rama Forums

Some lights in show wont fade properly?

Kennan

A few channels in my show dont fade properly, if at all. I've tried replacing a controller, data cables, etc, and yet the channels either partially fade or are either on/off.

Could it possibly be from the fact that the laptop running it is extremely old, or is it an electrical problem?

Whats a man to do?

Edited by Kennan

Are you positive that the lights on those channels can be faded/dimmed?  The rope light on one of my channels can't be dimmed.

1 minute ago, Speedster said:

Are you positive that the lights on those channels can be faded/dimmed?  The rope light on one of my channels can't be dimmed.

Yes, I am positive they can dim, for they have in the past effortlessly. I'm really hoping its just due to, like I said, the laptop used to run the show is extremely old and is "faulty" in a way.

edit: clarity

Edited by Kennan

Maybe those lights have gone bad and can no longer be dimmed?  I see you've already tried replacing the controller & data cables...try replacing some of the lights with other dim-able lights.  If the replacements fade properly, then there must be a problem with the original lights.

4 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Maybe those lights have gone bad and can no longer be dimmed?  I see you've already tried replacing the controller & data cables...try replacing some of the lights with other dim-able lights.  If the replacements fade properly, then there must be a problem with the original lights.

Well last night when I replaced the controller for the first time, the show ran near flawlessly for the rest of the night, as in the lights could fade. So I am pretty certain that the lights can still dim. Now, they are back to how they were last night post controller replacement, not dimming.

Edited by Kennan

Just now, Speedster said:

Other than replacing the extension cords/SPT1 wire (most likely not the cause), I can't think of anything else.

The only thing it could be is the computer... Unless, does excessive power draw from an outlet cause unexpected behavior?

What type of controller?

What is odd, is the worked for awhile. If you had damaged the strings, I would guess they would stay sick.

Just now, TheDucks said:

What type of controller?

What is odd, is the worked for awhile. If you had damaged the strings, I would guess they would stay sick.

Both of the controllers that have been used (before replacement and after) are CTB16PC 16 channel controllers.

I truly do think it's from my laptop, because I have no clue what else it could be. Unless it's the RS485 adapter, which I deem to be extremely unlikely, it has to be the laptop the show is ran on. Poor thing can barely boot..

Just now, TheDucks said:

Can HU dim these channels? There is a slider that that affects the tests steady, twinkle and fade

Nope. Can do it on other channels, though.

edit: clarity

Edited by Kennan

Just now, Kennan said:

Nope.

You are frying the TRIACS.  Simple LED strings usually have just a diode (or bridge) and resistor. If your strings use (old school) transformers to drop the voltage, it may have a nasty inductive kick when pulsed

I would not think of laptop, I would think it is only playing the software. I am with Speedster and think Light string, where did the strings come from, I have been using Holiday Light express strings on my mega tree for 4 years now and they still dim and other effects real well. If from one of the box stores I would try a different brand of light strings

But if you want a new laptop this could be just the excuse needed for a new one LOL.

Good luck and let us know what fix's it.

Keith

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

You are frying the TRIACS.  Simple LED strings usually have just a diode (or bridge) and resistor. If your strings use (old school) transformers to drop the voltage, it may have a nasty inductive kick when pulsed

I see what you're saying, but if that were the case, then wouldn't this have happened much earlier? This is our fourth year, and this is the first year this has really happened.. Same controller (besides the replacement), same lights.

1 hour ago, Kennan said:

I see what you're saying, but if that were the case, then wouldn't this have happened much earlier? This is our fourth year, and this is the first year this has really happened.. Same controller (besides the replacement), same lights.

Hard to say. If you keep hammering at something, it may finally work harden and fracture.

It is all a WAG.  Why not plug in a standard 60W Incandescent lamp and see what that does?

2 hours ago, Kennan said:

Have you tried this: reverse the male plug on the strand, take it out, flip it 180 degrees and insert it back in that channel, did that work?

I had a few L.E.D. strands that wouldn't fade, but they had faded all the times before, don't know what caused the issue, but when I reversed the male plug 180 degrees and re-inserted it, they faded just fine, took the male plug out again, just to see if what I saw was really neccessary to get them to fade, yep, no fade, they'd sometimes even stay lit when that channel was INACTIVE or NO SHOW was on, flipped the male plug that 180 again, lights stayed off and they faded.  I had to mark those strands {I had 3 that did this} male plug to show which way they needed to go in the controller to work.

So if you haven't tried this, just a suggestion to see if it helps resolve your issues.

Fortunately it did work for me and I used those 3 L.E.D. strands for another 4 years after that.

Hope this may be of some help.

EDIT: Since I went to RGB Smart lighting, I gave those old L.E.D. strands to my church where they use them.  And now after a total of around 17 years or so, they are still working, just not being used in a controller, but static display use.  I used them for quite a few years before I got into this crazy hobby with a Mr. Christmas 4 Channel wireless set up. {Did I really say and admit I that I used a Mr. Christmas sound box? ROFL}.

Edited by Orville

• The topic was locked