Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB-16D Power Supply

schristi69

What I am looking for is a general, all around power supply for my board. I am looking for something in the 12VDC, 20amp range. This would allow me to power the maximum amps per side. I did find this one that puts out 10amps. Can anyone recommend one or has anyone built a kit? I was looking at transformers, but they started talking about rectifiers and such and I got really confused. I have a Malibu transformer that I ran my MR16's off of last year and was considering using that. It is kind of big and was wanting something in a smaller package that I can put in an enclosure with the card. Any kits or plans with parts list, and lots of pictures for the electronics deficient person?

Scott

Went and looked up on the Malibu site. You are right. They put ut 12v AC, not DC. Always thought low voltage lighting was DC. Interesting that they did drive my MR-16 lights just fine and did not burn them up. All of the power supplies I keep finding are low amperage. This is going to require some more thought.

schristi69 wrote:

They are AC powered, but they put out DC to the lights, which is the type of power system I am looking for.

Really? The Malibu transformers I have definitely put out AC.

Here's what I used:

http://www.plymouthlights.com/mr16howto.htm

EDIT: Actually http://www.plymouthlights.com/mr16howto2.htm deals with the power supply, if you want to skip over the MR-16 lampholder stuff)

-Tim

Thanks for the links. Good articles. Might have to look around for an old power supply. I might have one or 2 of those. Thanks

schristi69 wrote:

Went and looked up on the Malibu site. You are right. They put ut 12v AC, not DC. Always thought low voltage lighting was DC. Interesting that they did drive my MR-16 lights just fine and did not burn them up. All of the power supplies I keep finding are low amperage. This is going to require some more thought.

From what I remember, Wirekat's MR16s run on either 12VAC or DC; it's the DC card that requires the DC voltage.

Denny wrote:

schristi69 wrote:
Went and looked up on the Malibu site.  You are right.  They put ut 12v AC, not DC.  Always thought low voltage lighting was DC.  Interesting that they did drive my MR-16 lights just fine and did not burn them up.  All of the power supplies I keep finding are low amperage.  This is going to require some more thought.

From what I remember, Wirekat's MR16s run on either 12VAC or DC; it's the DC card that requires the DC voltage.

That is correct. Wirekat's MR16's work on both. I actually put the bulbs in my landscape spotlights this year and they looked great!

Ponddude wrote:

That is correct. Wirekat's MR16's work on both. I actually put the bulbs in my landscape spotlights this year and they looked great!

I've been considering doing that as well, although I'd have to buy new fixtures (or make them).

-Tim

Yeah, I couldn't put them in all my lights because they don't all except MR16's. I just used them in the spotlights and some decorative type lights. They worked out great.

I picked up an ATX power supply from Micro Center

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0255735

for $25 that puts out 12V/14A on one rail and 12V/16A on the other, so plenty of power to light up a bunch of MR16s. I did have to modify it following Wirekat's directions for converting an ATX power supply to a lab power supply. Works great.

Tim

Here is a picture of my CMD16 mounted on a switching power supply that I had kicking around the house. The power supply is 320 watts, and will produce 15 amps on at +12 Volts. The power supply is a AT type supply that had to modified. to work in this configuration. I only have sixteen MR16s, this set-up works great for them.

Attached files 159208=9229-DSCN0146 edited.JPG

morrisonri wrote:

This picture was taken during testing of the power supply. All sixteen MR16s are truned on at 7% for the picture.

What kind of enclosures do you have your lights in??

What I finally ended up with is a few Viewsonic monitor power supplies. They are 12V, 5A 60W units. Should meet my needs for this year. Thanks