Light-O-Rama Forums

Repeater setup

pouterson1

I'm trying to create a star network using the LOR repeater.  I'm separating my pixel controllers from my standard LOR controllers into two networks.  Both run off of the high speed RS-485 adapter.  I run the main cable from the USB adapter to the first of the two port side of the repeater.  I run one spur to the right side of my house to the pixel controller.  I have two controllers on that side.  I rim another spur off of the back single port to the right side of the house.  That's connected to a pixel controller and dumb RGB controller.  All controllers are LOR.

The repeater has a blinking red light which indicates that it's getting power.  When I poll the port, I can only see the dumb RGB controller on the right side of the house.  I can't see the other pixel controllers.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?  Thanks.

Paul

I'm guessing the LOR RS485-REP.

With the disclaimer that it's been a year since I did this, and I don't 100% remember how the repeaters are connected ... You would want to terminate the run via jumpers located inside of the Pixie. Also .. how many RS485's do you have? You can't run multiple networks through a single RS485.

I could make a case for either or ... 1) You are trying to use a single RS485 or 2) You don't have terminators in place on the Pixies, and that's causing a problem.

Just now, Don said:

With the disclaimer that it's been a year since I did this, and I don't 100% remember how the repeaters are connected ... You would want to terminate the run via jumpers located inside of the Pixie. Also .. how many RS485's do you have? You can't run multiple networks through a single RS485.

I could make a case for either or ... 1) You are trying to use a single RS485 or 2) You don't have terminators in place on the Pixies, and that's causing a problem.

I'm running separate networks, i.e., one for the pixels and one for the non-RGB props that I have.  Should I terminate the last Pixcon or all of them?  I'm thinking the last one but you never know! :)  Thanks for the help on this.  I appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Don said:

And yes, it's the RS485-REP.  All of my hardware is LOR only.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, pouterson1 said:

I'm running separate networks, i.e., one for the pixels and one for the non-RGB props that I have.  Should I terminate the last Pixcon or all of them?  I'm thinking the last one but you never know! :)  Thanks for the help on this.  I appreciate it.

The following is not my original content... but I know it works because a) I followed the instructions last year and b) the person who wrote it should know how his stuff works. :)

The pixie 16 has a jumper on the side of the RJ45 connectors that is used to terminate the network. You would put the jumper on only the last one in a chain. In the manual it mentions the name of the jumper but it is on the side. There is one that is under the RJ45s but it is for aux power. ( they should be labeled other than JPx ... but are not )...  

In any case when you put in a repeater, you will see the repeater has one side with two RJ45s and one side with a single RJ45. Put the repeater in with a Pixie16. Have the cable coming from the computer plugged into one of the RJ45s on the side with two connectors. Plug the other connector on the two connector side with a short cable into the Pixie Card. 

On this pixie card you will want to put both jumpers on. One for terminating the network and the other will be for aux power to power the repeater.  For all the pixie cards without repeaters do not put on any jumpers. 

The cable coming out of the box and going on to the next Pixie controller will come from the side of the repeater that has only one RJ45 connection. 

For the final pixie in the network put on just the termination jumper. 

3 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Is that repeater capable of working in a high speed red adaptor network?

It will depend on the speed you are running. I'd have to go dig up the emails, but can handle some of the "lower end if the higher speeds" (if you know what I mean.) but not the higher of the highs.

5 minutes ago, Don said:

It will depend on the speed you are running. I'd have to go dig up the emails, but can handle some of the "lower end if the higher speeds" (if you know what I mean.) but not the higher of the highs.

Do you think it will handle the 500k speed?

23 minutes ago, pouterson1 said:

Do you think it will handle the 500k speed?

I honestly don't recall. I'm in the middle of last minute crush, and can't quickly locate the info.

1 hour ago, pouterson1 said:

No.  That is all on the same LOR network.  You are running on a single USB to RS-485 adapter, and therefore, it is one network.  Doesn't matter how you split it with the repeater, it's still one LOR network.

And to answer the other question, if the repeater was bought prior to 2017, it will only go up to 115K speed.  If bought in or after 2017, it will go up to 1000K speed.

• The topic was locked