Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16-PC gen3 and the semi-cold?

MichRX7

We are supposed to get a lot of rain tonight until around 10am tomorrow and high winds. I normally have my power strips on my front porch where they are protected from normal rain, but might possibly not be so great with sideways rain. It is going to get down to 47 degrees tonight (actually pretty warm for here) and was thinking of unplugging everything just to be cautious, but can't find the temperature range for the box. I mean I have it outside in -10 weather before, but they always stay on. Does anyone know that range? I want to be sure before unplugging them.

I would protect the power  (Upside down buckeT with strip sitting up on a brick under it. 2 bricks ON the bucket) and leave things on (warm).

• Thanks 1

I've been running a show with an assortment of LOR controllers since 2013 in temperatures down to minus 27F without any problems. All connections waterproof and raised up above ground level with power cord ends treated with dielectric grease. Never had an issue with wind or rain/snow/ice although a hard wind tore up my singing faces and flung them across my yard during the Halloween show. I purchased the dielectric grease at an automotive supply house for a few bucks, one tube lasted three years for my stuff, YMMV.

Bare in mind that those plastic power strips are cheap, they are cheap for a reason...they are also susceptible to internal shorting/failure due to cracking and breakage of internal plastic supports and definitely NOT weatherproof. They are also a fire hazard when easily overloaded. I have found that some home improvement stores have a better solution with a short, 10-12", 3 way pigtail that is easily greased and made weather resistant thus avoiding those cheesy plastic power strips. The triple outlet pigtails  cost about the same as a power strip without the hazard.

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

I would protect the power  (Upside down buckeT with strip sitting up on a brick under it. 2 bricks ON the bucket) and leave things on (warm).

Bucket power engaged... Thanks for the tips. 

12 hours ago, MichRX7 said:

Bucket power engaged... Thanks for the tips. 

That’s a lot of bricks.

I have used buckets to protect power strips for a long time.

I drive a 12” stake in to the ground and zip tie my power strips or whatever to the spike.

I notch the buckets for any incoming and outgoing cables/ cords.

Where the 5 gallon buckets have that double lip ring I drill a hole large enough to get a 12” spike through. Spike them down.

For any props that have excess lights I take buckets and make trap doors in the sides by cutting three sides. 

I then drill 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of the bucket.

Hang the bucket on the prop. Using the top of the bucket with one hand and the other hand tucking the excess lights inside the bucket.

Once most lights are in, replace the lid.

My excess light are always safe and have always been dry on take down day.

JR

• Thanks 1

I just use them as a Bucket tent over the strip. No lid needed

I like the idea of zip tying the strips to a stake to keep them up out of the puddles 👍

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I just use them as a Bucket tent over the strip. No lid needed

I like the idea of zip tying the strips to a stake to keep them up out of the puddles 👍

yeah, no lid on upside down buckets, let mother nature keep it dry.

Tops only for buckets hanging on the prop for excess lights.

The ground here is to hard for the power strips with those plastic stakes so I use spikes and ziptie the plastic stake and power strip to it. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• The topic was locked