Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel resolution

Lexlawgirl

My husband has been doing LOR for 5 years. This is the first year he has let me try my hand at sequencing. I have a newbie question about pixel resolution. 

We have a 16x100 Pixel Mega Tree (S5/SS). Will a premade 16x50 sequence work if I change my settings to 100 pixels at 50 pixel resolution?

We have a holiday party this Saturday. We have our regular sequences/MT doing boring things ready to go, but I found a “Grama Got Run Over By a Reindeer” sequence for sale that I am totally in love with if I can make it work. 

Edited by Lexlawgirl

10 hours ago, Lexlawgirl said:

My husband has been doing LOR for 5 years. This is the first year he has let me try my hand at sequencing. I have a newbie question about pixel resolution. 

We have a 16x100 Pixel Mega Tree (S5/SS). Will a premade 16x50 sequence work if I change my settings to 100 pixels at 50 pixel resolution?

We have a holiday party this Saturday. We have our regular sequences/MT doing boring things ready to go, but I found a “Grama Got Run Over By a Reindeer” sequence for sale that I am totally in love with if I can make it work. 

If you have SuperStar you can easily change the size.

Trust me when I say "leave the resolution in HU at 50". Everyone I have helped that changed it to 100 experienced all sorts of problems.

Takes 30 seconds in SuperStar to change the size. Some people have reported they have also had to adjust the image sizes in SS, not sure is its an S5 thing but the only time I have had to adjust pic size in SS was when I changed a matrix to ccr tree or visa versa.

Also - not sure where you are buying the sequence however, if you email them and ask nicely they will probably edit it to your size. (I know my friends at HS will)

JR

The old CCR macro channels work like this.   Resolution means "how many pixels control 50?"    50 controlling 50 is normal which means you are not multiplying at all.   The macros were never upgraded to work for strings longer than 50.   And S5 does not preview macros.   I have used them extensively in S4 so this is a barrier for me to move to S5.

If you set the resolution to 1   that means the first pixel in your sequence will control all 50 pixels on the lights.  This is a short cut: when your want your entire string to be white.. you set pixel 1 white and resolution to 1.      Setting resolution to 2 means first 2 pixels of the sequence control first 25 and second 25.   My friend JR refers to resolution in HWU.   In your sequence you do not need to specify 50 in resolution  all the time to control 50 pixels of string with 50 pixels in your sequence.   You just leave it blank/zero.   The HWU value is used when the sequence does not have a value which is a good multiplier.   Blank/Zero is not a good multiplier so 50 takes its place.   

The only possible values which work in sequence and in HWU are  

Resolution 1 controls 1 group of 50  using pixel 1 in the sequence

Resolution 2 controls 2 groups of 25 using pixels 1-2 in the sequence

Resolution 5 controls 5 groups of 10 using pixels 1-5 in the sequence

Resolution 10 controls 10 groups of 5  using pixels 1-10 in the sequence

Resolution 16 controls 16 groups of 3  using pixels 1-16 in the sequence (end groups are one long)

Resolution 17 controls 17 groups of 3  using pixels 1-17 in the sequence  (center group is one short)

Resolution 25 controls 25 groups of 2  using pixels 1-25 in the sequence

Resolution 50 controls 50 pixels using pixels 1-50 in the sequence

This S4 sequence, still in use, is about 7 years old.   It has resolution 1 and moving blocks of pixels.

macroExample.jpg  

How this macro looks is here in a really old video

https://vimeo.com/96427319

Edited by ItsMeBobO