Light-O-Rama Forums

Power

Guest guest

OK, I am trying to figure out my power needs for 2006. I will be getting a LOR 16 channel Controller (LOR1602W 30 amp capacity)

~How much can each channel hold (amps)

~It says the Controller has a 30 amp capacity. (What dose that mean exactly)

~How do I figure how many strings can go on one channel

Please List Anyother info that you think Will be helpful.

If I can think of any other questions I have I'll post them here

Thanks, Richard :tree:

Controller can hold up to 30 amps altogether. It can hold up to 8 amps per channel, but the amps per channel have to combine to equal under 30amps. so max you could run is 3.75 channels at 8 amps each or 1.875 amps on all 16 channels at once.

"Channel Capacity: 8 amps per channel with heatsink installed( 16 amp triacs are used.) Controller Capacity: The LOR1600W: 15 amps (about 4500 mini lights) The LOR1602W: 30 amps (about 9000 mini lights)"

To figure out how many strings per channel, you take 8 amps and divide by 0.33 if you were using 100 light strings. which is about 24.

But at max on the controller you can run 121 strings. But, you can have a total of 287 strings of lights on the controller if you NEVER have more then 121 on at any time.

Now after confusing you ALOT, to simplify, you have alot of amps available, so it depends on the type of lights. You can run many mini lights off of one.

Also it is good to only use up to 80% of your controllers capabilities.. prevents problems.

Hope this helps..

Zac

The real answer to how much power a controller can handle is 'Not Enough'. Which is why Dan sells more controllers. More options. More of everything. Feed your addiction! :)

MORE POWER!

Ken