Light-O-Rama Forums

16 Ribbon CCR (Totally Lost)

rickatnyte

Greetings,
I bought a 16 CCR plug and play for this Christmas season.
I bought 6 sequences with .SUP files
I cannot get the sequences to load on my SD card. I keep getting an error that says there is no data in the file.
I have previous LOR experience but so far I'm totally lost.
When I bought the CCR ribbon set it said plug and play.
Do I use my previous LOR set up to make it go?
I've constructed the mast for the ribbons and I'm ready to test it but I have NO IDEA where I am anymore.
I need help and I need baby steps help PLEASE.
I'd like to make this thing go on Friday so, I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.
I'm grateful for any help or assistance.
Thank you for your time...
Rick Stanley

1 hour ago, rickatnyte said:

Greetings,
I cannot get the sequences to load on my SD card. I keep getting an error that says there is no data in the file.
I have previous LOR experience but so far I'm totally lost.
When I bought the CCR ribbon set it said plug and play.
Do I use my previous LOR set up to make it go?
I've constructed the mast for the ribbons and I'm ready to test it but I have NO IDEA where I am anymore.
I need help and I need baby steps help PLEASE.
I'd like to make this thing go on Friday so, I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.
I'm grateful for any help or assistance.
Thank you for your time...
Rick Stanley

Have you set up your controller?

What controller did you get , pixie or pixcon16?

And what is your license level since I can’t see in my phone?

If Pixie16

Go to my writeup/ video

General Hardware section at the very top- first thread and read and watch my video.

It will also work for the pixcon if you set it up in the LOR Network.

Technically they are plug and play but you still have to set things up.

And hopefully you purchased the red RS485HS adapter, without it you may have no tree.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

JR,
Thank you for your kind offer of assistance.
I got the PixieCon16 controller.

License information
Feature Level: Basic Plus
SuperStar Feature Level: 2_CCR
Seats: 5
Max Version: 4.9.*

When I try to build a show, I get the following message.
The error message is as follows...Cannot Download File:
There are no events found in the file.

Am I using the wrong part of the software?
Lost...
Rick

28 minutes ago, rickatnyte said:

JR,
Thank you for your kind offer of assistance.
I got the PixieCon16 controller.

License information
Feature Level: Basic Plus
SuperStar Feature Level: 2_CCR
Seats: 5
Max Version: 4.9.*

When I try to build a show, I get the following message.
The error message is as follows...Cannot Download File:
There are no events found in the file.

Am I using the wrong part of the software?
Lost...
Rick

Basic level plus is first problem. Will need pro for pixels, for the pixcon16.

Update license and see if that fixes it.

JR

The reason you need Pro is the Pixcon requires enhanced mode (AND A red dongle). (A pixie would have allowed you to sneak by with Advanced. but Pro is the way to go 👍)

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

The reason you need Pro is the Pixcon requires enhanced mode (AND A red dongle). (A pixie would have allowed you to sneak by with Advanced. but Pro is the way to go 👍)

A pixie16 or pixie anything also requires Pro license, no sneaking by. “Enhanced mode” is required. Doesn’t matter what it says in the old manual, it was an error.

Also the red adapter.

JR

No such thing in LOR as Plug and Play especially the Pixcon16. The Pixcon16 is the most advanced pixel controller LOR has and network experience is a plus to make it work.

Here are the steps you need to follow to configure the Pixcon16:

Please ensure that you have AT LEAST S4 V4.3.14 Or Higher to configure the board. Some older versions may not be able to properly detect the Pixcon16. You will also need a Pro license as the Pixcon16 requires an enhanced LOR network (ELOR).

1. Pixels have a front and a back (IN and OUT). Ensure you know which side data goes IN to. Pixels from LOR are plainly marked, or are correctly pre-wired. if your pixels have an arrow, that arrow points AWAY from the board.
  2. Pixels have a voltage. Ensure you have the proper power supply. LOR Pixels are typically 5v or 12v. If your pixel package from LOR included a power supply, you do not need to worry about this step.
  3. Pixels have current draw (amperage). Ensure you are not exceeding the amps per channel/power supply/etc. Pixels from LOR will draw 3A per 50 pixels at 5V (15 Watts), 3A per 100 pixels at 12V (36 Watts). If you pixel package from LOR included a power supply, you do not need to worry about this step.
  4. Wire power supply to PixCon16, if not already wired.
  5. Remember – never connect or disconnect anything from PixCon16 with power applied.
  6. Power up board. Follow instructions in "An Introduction to DMX and E1.31 for Pixel Control" document if needed (linked below). Open Network Preferences/Find Configure PixCon16/Click on PixCon16 in list, and open the PixCon16 configuration window. 

Only work with a SINGLE PixCon16 connected to your network at one time until properly configured -- IP address conflicts can occur if you attempt to configure 2 or more. 

Do not continue until you are able to reliably talk to the board and configure it.
    If you are having difficulty reliably talking to the board, read:
    http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/IntroductionToDMXandE131.pdf
    Pay particular attention to page 8.

7. Firmware will NEVER fix connection problems you are having at step 6! Connection problems are ALWAYS CONFIGURATION ISSUES between your computer and the PixCon16! 

Never attempt to update firmware on a board that you can NOT reliably talk to and configure.  Attempting to update firmware on a PixCon16/Computer combination that is NOT configured properly WILL BRICK THE BOARD.

There are TWO different versions of the PixCon16, and each requires different firmware.  Please carefully look at your board.  If next to the name you see "MkII" or a small round white sticker that says "ECO", you have a MARK II board.  If you do not see MkII or ECO, then you have an ORIGINAL board.  Both boards work identically, but require different firmware versions.  On Tab 3 (Misc) you will find the current firmware version of your board.

For ORIGINAL boards:
    Ensure board firmware is AT LEAST 1.4.8 (or higher)

For MARK II boards:
    Ensure board firmware is AT LEAST 2.0.13 (or higher)

WARNING! Do NOT downgrade if you have a higher firmware version! 
    WARNING! When applying new firmware ensure you have the CORRECT firmware.  DO NOT USE MKII firmware on an original board (or vice versa).

Incorrectly updating firmware will brick the board requiring special software to recover! 

Do not continue until firmware is at least this version or higher.  If you need to update the firmware, please reply to this ticket with the version of your PixCon (Original or MKII) and we will send you the correct firmware.  You will need to confirm that you are ALWAYS successful at step 6!
  8. Properly set up Pixel Type and Pixel Speed in configuration. Ignore all other parameters. LOR Pixels are WS2811. Most are high-speed.
  9. Properly wire 1 pixel string to a 4 wire connector. Follow pin-outs in the manual. Note -- Some pixels do not have/require the clock signal.
  10. Connect pixels to a single port, and power up. Pixels may briefly flash. Pixels that stay ON indicate incorrect pixel type or speed selected in #8. For LOR Pixels, ensure that you selected 'High Speed'. If High Speed does not work (it should in almost all cases), select slow speed.
  11. Run hardware test on the pixels as documented in manual by using the buttons on the PixCon16. If pixels do not work, problem is most likely #8. Go back there. 
    Do not continue until the Hardware Test works properly.
  12. Wire the rest of your pixels to the 4 wire connectors. Connect them to the PixCon16. Run the hardware test (step 11) again. Ensure all pixels are working correctly. Pixels that are not working indicate a problem with the pixel itself, or an under-rated power supply.
    Do not continue until the Hardware Test works properly for ALL pixels.
  13. Again bring the PixCon16 configuration up. On the first tab of PixCon16 configuration, ensure you have the correct option specified for J3/J4. If you will use the board in ELOR mode, turn this option ON. For E1.31 ensure this option is OFF. If you have not done so yet, install the drivers for the USB adapter and ensure the USB adapter is working properly.
  14. On the Second tab set up each port of the PixCon16 properly. You can use simple mode or advanced mode. All options are documented in the help file for the software or in the manual for the PixCon16. Remember, for E1.31 universes must also be set up in Network Preferences (the software will offer to do it for you), for ELOR, 500K speed and Enhanced Light-O-Rama network (done in step 16). It is best to write down the settings.
  15. Ensure you have the LOR Control Panel loaded (which will load the LOR COMM Listener). The COMM Listener is ALWAYS required to control pixels.
  16. Properly configure your network preferences:

E1.31: Ensure Universe matches universe on the board & Set IP address correctly (multicast or unicast/specify). It is easiest to use multicast.

ELOR: Ensure the COM port is set to at least 500K and ELOR mode is turned ON.
  17. Properly connect networking:

E1.31: Do not make any changes.   Both LEDs should be SOLID ON. 
    Do not continue until they are. NOTE: Your computer may need to be rebooted. If you reboot go back to step 15.

ELOR: Disconnect Network cable, ensure jumpers on PixCon16 for J3/J4 are set to LOR. Connect HS USB adapter to computer, CAT5 from USB adapter to J4 of PixCon16. NOTE: You must have previously installed the drivers for the high speed USB adapter. Use another non-PixCon16 unit to test if you are unsure the USB adapter is working properly. Both LEDs should be SOLID ON. 

Do not continue until they are. NOTE: Your computer may need to be rebooted. If you reboot go back to step 15.
  18. Start Hardware Utility. If asked if the HWU should take control of a port say NO. Open the pixel console. Set Pixel Console params correctly and test pixels with sliders.
    Do not continue until you can successfully control pixels.
  19. Your board is now ready to use.
  • Like 1

Mr. P. Is the man for the pixcon16. Bailed me out when I was trying to help someone.

Even though I still have his PM’s I am subscribing to this for future reference.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Mr. P. Is the man for the pixcon16. Bailed me out when I was trying to help someone.

Even though I still have his PM’s I am subscribing to this for future reference.

JR

Just to clarify, the step by step is DevMike's that I am just reposting. Why write it again when it is already out there.

Just now, Mr. P said:

Just to clarify, the step by step is DevMike's that I am just reposting. Why write it again when it is already out there.

Oh, so my pm’s we’re more precise for my situation. So now I have both.

Either way, still the person that saved the day for me any the only pixcon I ever touched.

Was great to get it back to its owner and get my pixie16 back.

Thanks again

JR

8 hours ago, rickatnyte said:

Greetings,

His third line is the key.  The sequences are in .sup file format.  Those are SuperStar files.  The only way to use those it to load them in SuperStar and then export them to Sequence Editor.  Depending on where you purchased them from, they may have also sent you .LMS file which is what you need.  You said that you have a 2 CCR SuperStar license (also known as 100 pixels or 300 channels).  That is likely not enough channels for you to be able to export your purchased .sup files.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

His third line is the key.  The sequences are in .sup file format.  Those are SuperStar files.  The only way to use those it to load them in SuperStar and then export them to Sequence Editor.  Depending on where you purchased them from, they may have also sent you .LMS file which is what you need.  You said that you have a 2 CCR SuperStar license (also known as 100 pixels or 300 channels).  That is likely not enough channels for you to be able to export your purchased .sup files.

Unless they purchased from the SuperStar website then no license is needed. OP never mentioned where the .SUP files were purchased.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Unless they purchased from the SuperStar website then no license is needed. OP never mentioned where the .SUP files were purchased.

Good point - I had forgotten about that exception.  However in any case he would need to load the .sup files in SuperStar and export them to Sequence Editor.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:54 AM, dibblejr said:

Have you set up your controller?

What controller did you get , pixie or pixcon16?

And what is your license level since I can’t see in my phone?

If Pixie16

Go to my writeup/ video

General Hardware section at the very top- first thread and read and watch my video.

It will also work for the pixcon if you set it up in the LOR Network.

Technically they are plug and play but you still have to set things up.

And hopefully you purchased the red RS485HS adapter, without it you may have no tree.

JR

Where is this write up you speak of. Sir 

I have a sequence I bought but the tree is on channel 7 in the sequence and my pixie 8 out in the yard is unit 3 

How can I change the channel in the sequence from 7 to 3 so the tree works?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CMcDPWr3EXdw2Co8G9e0CTsyWTHfPjcj

Edited by glossyhalothane