Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel Usage

SoonerChris

So due to some budgetary issues I wont be able to wire everything individually as I want.  I'll only be using 6 or 16 channels this year.  IF I buy a pre-programmed sequence how do I tell the software I only want to use 6 channels?  Or do I even need to do anything at all?

You don't have to do anything really, if nothing is connected to those channels the controller will act the same. That way you can add during the season as you get time and then that channel will come into play if you want it too.

Does not even matter if there are entire controllers that are not there.  The show player couldn't care if there is anything actually there.  This applies to LOR network, DMX network, or E1.31.  I have had stuff that was sequenced, but never built for years.  I think last year there were about 19,000 channels that were sequenced, but not actually in use (most of that was a P5 matrix that was operational, but I did not get an weatherproof enclosure built, so it was not used).

10 minutes ago, Kapkirk said:

You don't have to do anything really, if nothing is connected to those channels the controller will act the same. That way you can add during the season as you get time and then that channel will come into play if you want it too.

Will I be ok just using 6 channels of the pre-programmed sequences from the Sequence Store.  I guess what I'm saying is will the show still look ok?

1 minute ago, SoonerChris said:

Will I be ok just using 6 channels of the pre-programmed sequences from the Sequence Store.  I guess what I'm saying is will the show still look ok?

Kinda depends on how it was sequenced and which channel you use.  Depending on what channels you use, you should be able to get something that looks OK.

42 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Kinda depends on how it was sequenced and which channel you use.  Depending on what channels you use, you should be able to get something that looks OK.

Thanks.  This is going to be my first year with LOR and I'm kinda overwhelmed.

2 hours ago, SoonerChris said:

So due to some budgetary issues I wont be able to wire everything individually as I want.  I'll only be using 6 or 16 channels this year.  IF I buy a pre-programmed sequence how do I tell the software I only want to use 6 channels?  Or do I even need to do anything at all?

I still use S4, so might not be much help to you in S5 - I live in Mustang, OK. Whereabouts in OK are you? With a name like "sooner" - thinking you're central.... We have many users scattered about in OKLA that would be glad to help get you running.. If you are on FB - check out "Oklahoma Christmas Light Enthusiasts".

55 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

I still use S4, so might not be much help to you in S5 - I live in Mustang, OK. Whereabouts in OK are you? With a name like "sooner" - thinking you're central.... We have many users scattered about in OKLA that would be glad to help get you running.. If you are on FB - check out "Oklahoma Christmas Light Enthusiasts".

I'm in Ada.  I'm going to start small and just do two or three songs.  I've watched some videos and think I have a handle on getting my first show up and going.  As well, I have a friend who just started with LOR last year who can help.

• Thanks 1