Light-O-Rama Forums

WS2811 strips flashing when not supposed to.

kj11856

I have a string of 32 China wS2811 strips. Using a pixie16 controller. Each channel is 2 strips, each strip is connected ton one another following the arrows. The strips are connected the the controller by common 3 wire wire that you can get on eBay. Some strips are around 50ft from the controller. Some are only 5ft. (It’s a roof). Some strips are the wrong color. Some are flashing when they are not supposed to. I can provide a link to the eBay listing so you can see the specs of the strips. I did setup the pixie16 to 100 pixels per port with wS2811 800khz. My question is, is there any other settings on the pixie16 that I need to change. And other suggestions you could provide. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264347640998

What is the network speed setting? Are you using the red USB485HS adapter and are you on a enhanced network? Also, are your issues only on the long runs such as where the lights are 50' away?

Edited by Mr. P

Yes. I am using the red network adapter at 500k enhanced network. So far yes on the strips that are the furthest away from the controller. I am also using the connectors in the line that are for the strip. One connected the the controller. The connectors are soldered onto the wire extensions. 

I’m new to these smart pixels. I have a grid with 3 pixcon controllers I been using for years. The pixel were bought though light I Rama

Distance is the enemy of pixels as the data is very limited in range and needs to be regenerated. The older controllers would need a null pixel after about 15-20 feet but the new controllers extend that range a bit. A null pixel is just a pixel place in the extension to regenerate the data signal and send it down the line. The null pixel isn't used for lighting and I am not sure if the Pixie controllers have a way to identify a null pixel.

I always recommend a few smaller controllers instead of one large controller to cover a large area such as a house. This lets you spread the controllers out to cover a larger area and keeps the runs shorter.

I will try it if anyone knows how to insert the null pixel into it.  I believe the hardware utility has a option to add a null pixel in the setup but I’m not sure. 

I found a site that has Falcon F-AMP signal boosters you can use to insert into the line. I’m gonna see if that solves my problem. 

34 minutes ago, kj11856 said:

I found a site that has Falcon F-AMP signal boosters you can use to insert into the line. I’m gonna see if that solves my problem. 

The Falcon F-Amp does exactly what you need.  It does not appear to be be a pixel as far as pixel count is concerned, so you don't need to account for a null pixel.  And I agree that long distance is likely your problem.

My question now is can the data cable be hooked to both ends of the strip as long as it follows the direction of the arrows. For example 2 strips beside each other. Can the green data line be connected to from the beginning of the first strip to the end of the second?

Boy that question is hard to read.  I think what you are asking, is if you can have the data from the controller connect to one strip, and at the end of the fist strip, then connect to a second strip (paying attention to the directional arrows).  If that is what you are asking, then the answer is yes..  If that was not the question, please re-state.

Yes. That’s what my setup is. I need to connect like this. 

/—-s1

ctrlr———booster(if needed)<

\——s2

16 minutes ago, kj11856 said:

Yes. That’s what my setup is. I need to connect like this. 

/—-s1

ctrlr———booster(if needed)<

\——s2

IMHO Not a good plan. S2 is a duplicate of S1.

It might work with a strong drive (and a very short cable)., but, then it might have difficulties.

Best is to use 2 ports, even if the second port just runs a copy of the other track

Let me redo that. 
                                        /<<<<<s2

ctrlr——-booster——-

\>>>>>>>s1

The only thing you can supply at the far end is Power and Ground (AKA power injection)

Data flows 1 way only. (and also needs the ground) to be continuous between strings 1 and 2

There is no address in the data. It is a 'take mine off the top' and forward out the rest of (bit) stack

• The topic was locked