Light-O-Rama Forums

multiple controllers

sjenks

Can someone please help me in setting up 3 controllers.  I have everything connected correctly but i cannot get all the lights to work.  when I refresh in the hardware utility it says 1 unit found.  What am I doing wrong?

33 minutes ago, sjenks said:

Can someone please help me in setting up 3 controllers.  I have everything connected correctly but i cannot get all the lights to work.  when I refresh in the hardware utility it says 1 unit found.  What am I doing wrong?

34 minutes ago, sjenks said:

What controllers ?

To start out - connect one- find it in HU- set the unit ID- disconnect

2- repeat the first step until you have at least 3 dif unit ID's- that brings us back to the first question. Unit ID's will depend on what controllers.

JR

Next question, when all three controllers are connected and the Hardware Utility is running, is the status LED on all three controllers flashing or on solid?

48 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Next question, when all three controllers are connected and the Hardware Utility is running, is the status LED on all three controllers flashing or on solid?

He hasn't answered the important question yet, type of controllers.

Also- Check the number of Controllers box - top right in HU. Ensure it is set to at least more than 1, however the minimum number goes back to the type of controller. If you have 3 AC controllers I would set it at 10. If you have any number of pixel controllers that number will/ may come up.

JR

23 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

He hasn't answered the important question yet, type of controllers.

Also- Check the number of Controllers box - top right in HU. Ensure it is set to at least more than 1, however the minimum number goes back to the type of controller. If you have 3 AC controllers I would set it at 10. If you have any number of pixel controllers that number will/ may come up.

JR

Good point.

All that REDUCING that number does is speed up detection of POSSIBLE devices. I set that for the beginning of the second next HEX block. That allows you to add a controller and to have forgotten the number shrunk.

an extra 16 ID's takes what seconds? 30 to run thru the detect cycle.  Besides, How often do you run the Detect phase?

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Good point.

All that REDUCING that number does is speed up detection of POSSIBLE devices. I set that for the beginning of the second next HEX block. That allows you to add a controller and to have forgotten the number shrunk.

an extra 16 ID's takes what seconds? 30 to run thru the detect cycle.  Besides, How often do you run the Detect phase?

Even at F0 it only takes a few mins.

If I happen to make a mistake in setting the unit ID it will still pick it up.

Just enough time for me to solder a connector on or any number of various things. Get cup of coffee or whatever.

Based in all of my pixies I normally just keep it at F0 unless I am building and just check it. I will normally set it at 1 to get it over with and then add it to my layout.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

ok i finally got the HU to say there are 3 controllers but when I play a sequence only one strand of lights blinks.  oh and the light on the controllers is solid

Edited by sjenks

If the HU is finding all 3 controllers, what does it say their unit ID's are set at?  I would verify that the actual unit id's match the unit id's you have defined in your sequence(s).

Jfuller8400

dont know how to do that. I did every step troubleshooting said to do and still only getting one strand Lighting up and it’s not even the one that’s supposed to light up per the sequence. And yes the numbers match the controllers. 

18 minutes ago, sjenks said:

Jfuller8400

dont know how to do that. I did every step troubleshooting said to do and still only getting one strand Lighting up and it’s not even the one that’s supposed to light up per the sequence. And yes the numbers match the controllers. 

Did you buy the sequence, make the sequence or receive it for free.

Also I’m in my phone and can’t see your license level.

JR

15 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Did you buy the sequence, make the sequence or receive it for free.

Also I’m in my phone and can’t see your license level.

JR

He has a Standard License, and that level should allow for a maximum of 8 controllers and 4 tracks. 

Sounds to me something is NOT configured properly in the SE to match the settings of lights to the proper controller unit.

2 minutes ago, sjenks said:

Most were gotten for free but I remake them my own. There’s a couple that I bought. 

Did the ones you made work correctly? 

Also when you bought sequences, did you buy the ones you can edit and change?  If not on the bought ones, you can't change or edit those.

If your own sequences and the lights are turning on at the wrong time, that sounds like a definition channel configuration issue.

Once we know which it is, we can help you further with resetting the controllers in the Se to match your correct lights and props.

regarding how to test from the hardware utility,  when it shows the 3 controllers found, the list of controllers and their ids will be shown to the right.  It will say 01 - controller type.   To test them, you can select any one of them from the list.   Make sure all 16 circuits are checked and then near the bottom use ON AT 100% or OFF.   The lights should turn on and off.   repeat for each controller.   

Orville they’re not turning on at the wrong time they aren’t turning on at all. All my sequences were used every year with no problem. I started with one controller a few years later added a second and this year I have added a third. Changed all  the sequences to 48 channels. And yes I have the Standard license. Will upgrade if that is what is needed. 

Edited by sjenks

1 minute ago, sjenks said:

Orville they’re not turning on at the wrong time they aren’t turning on at all. All my sequences were used every year with no problem. I started with one controller a few years later added a second and this year I have added a third. Changed all  the sequences to 48 channels. 

Your NW config is wrong, your copy paste is wrong or your cables in the chain is bad. And your firmware on the controller needs update esp if that is the first in the chain.

Or a combination of all 4

JR