Light-O-Rama Forums

hdpe 2 inch arch- how to properly bend without denting

notredameforlife

I am building 4 leaping arches. I have 2 inch hdpe pipping. Usually I would bend the pipe manually and force it into shape until last year the pipe dented. Without having to make a jig what is some ways to bend the pipe without denting the pipe?   I bought the lengths precut from mcmaster car 10 foot lengths. 

I found regular old PEX from the big box store worked fine for me. I was able to bend it without kinking. How short did you make the span? 

I also used 10 ft sections from McMaster Carr  I used a small racthing tiedown with hooks on the ends to pull the ends together to form the arch left in the sun for a day or two and it stayed close to the desired shape .

n

I know it will not help this year but for next year, might help someone.  Several years ago, during the heat of the summer, I put the pipe on the roof (asphalt) when it was 100 deg outside.  Used a rope threaded through the pipe and pulled the ends together.  Each day, pulled it more and more until I had the shape I needed.  Amazing how soft it would get.  And they are still holding their shape.

Thanks all, i will take some pics. I got 2- 3/8 fence brackets and 3/4  -5 foot conduit. I beat the conduit end flat on both ends, drilled a 1/4 hole and wrapped the fence bracket around my hdpe pipe. I then was able to bend the pipe and secure it together with bolts. I was worried it would kink but the last time It kinked I guess i was bending it to much. I love the way it looks as I can store it and reuse it every year.

• 4 weeks later...