Light-O-Rama Forums

Missing tracks on saved sequences

wookiemouse

I recently pulled up my sequences to check before adding to the show builder and all my secondary tracks are gone! I have 2-3 tracks per song where I grouped my channels, and only track 1 is showing up. This is on multiple songs, some of which were accessed last week and were fine. I haven’t changed anything in the software suite and I’ve rebooted the computer. Any ideas what happened? Can they be recovered?

Do all of your songs have the same config?    I have never heard of them disappearing.   They can be collapsed to a single line which I am sure you know if you are a track user.   

If you open the .lms file in notepad you will see a section like this for EACH track.

<tracks>
        <track totalCentiseconds="23839" timingGrid="0" name="16x60 RGB strings">
            <channels>
                <channel savedIndex="3900"/>

... more lines here..
                <channel savedIndex="4285"/>
            </channels>
            <loopLevels/>
        </track>
    </tracks>

Yes, they are all the same. Tracks are not showing up at all on notepad, just channels. The tracks are completely gone.

There must be at least one.    Are you using version 4.4.4 ?            I dont see how they could be removed.   Do you have older versions  or backups you can compare to?

Yes, track 1 shows up on all of them. But that’s all - ALL my sequences have 2-3 tracks, I cannot program without them. I have older versions that are on a single network (my newer ones are split to 2) in a different folder and those seem to be ok. I’m using version 4.2.6.

I am getting confused.   How can they all have 2 or 3 and all be the same config?     

Have you done an import config on any of them lately? 

I group my channels in a second track - copy them over (I have over 1000 channels). It’s the first thing I do when I start a new sequence. I haven’t touched these files since I moved them from my 2018 folder to my 2019 folder back in October. They were fine back then.

So you customize the config for EACH song.   You dont use import config at all?      I am a big track user having around 20.  But every single song has the same arrangement of tracks because I make changes to a track on a sequence then export it.  Then import that exported config into every song so each has the same config. 

Import config will replace the tracks but you wont lose any of the effects.   if you did an import config in 2018 and played the song, you would not notice any visualization or on the actual lights to be missing.    It would play just fine without the tracks you used to create an effect.   As you know, a track is just rearrangement of the channels in track one so deleting the track would not lose any blinks.

I import config initially so every song has the same track 1. I then group all the channels, create a new track, copy the group to the new track and ungroup. From there, I group my channels by prop. But once I have that set up I don’t touch it. None of the sequences missing tracks have been touched other than basic programming and saving files. That’s all. 

Edited by wookiemouse

I have to break it to you the tracks are gone from the sequences.       The process you explain will make it very easy to lose your work.   Changing the config (adding a track) to a song which is intended just for that song will mean you can then never import a config for that song.  If last year, you added a controller and imported a common config it would wipe the tracks to look like the sequence the config was made from. 

Hopefully you have some backups you can refer to which may have the tracks.   

Here is what I do..   I have a particular song I always make config changes to.   Every time a change is made I also change the name of Track 1.   Like "V7 moved tree to controller 06"   and export the config.    When working a sequence I can see on the top line its on V6.  I will import it and see at the very top it is now on V7.  

This has not been my experience - last year I added a second network and updated my master file with the new controller settings. I imported this config into my 2017 sequences and none of the second or third tracks were affected at all.

How do you ever keep up with different configs in songs. When I was using S4 I had 16 tracks, and every time I made a change to tracks or other config changes, the config got saved, and re imported to EVERY song, so they are all the same, and I have over 50.

It sounds like you have imported your single track config into your sequences replacing the multiple tracks with one.

Your config is not just a once a year thing. I updated mine probably 30 times last year, still have them, could backtrack if needed. If I add a track, save the config ang update every other sequence.

I never EVER import a new config unless it’s at the start of a season and I’ve made changes to channels or added controllers. I did neither this year - these are untouched sequences I ran from last season. 

Well, there's your problem then. Tracks are saved as a config export.  You do NOT make changes multiple times, Add a new track, export the config, and import into everything else so they are all the same.The good news is that the contents of the original channels is unchanged.

You will either have to go through your backups to find the tracks or recreate them.

Once you have them the way you want, then export the config and apply it to the rest.

I will try this. This makes ZERO sense to me tho - I have been doing it this way for YEARS and never once has a track disappeared on any of my sequences! All my track 1s are the same, I only change the copied tracks and ONLY on the song I’m working on - never on the master file and I never export any tracks from any song sequence, only from a master sequence file I created. I just can’t see how only SOME of my files all of a sudden have lost their 2nd and 3rd tracks when all I’ve done is open that file, add programming, and save. I’ve been doing that for years and this has never once happened!