Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon16 DMX E1.31 and D.C. Injection

downing360

58 minutes ago, downing360 said:

resolved

Not a good way to use this Forum. You ask a question and if you figure it out yourself you post what was done to correct the situation. This will help others who may run into the same problem in the future as they may come across this thread.

Sorry Mr. P, I was trying to remove the post before it published, but your response is well taken.

The original problem came up in the hardware application as I was using the pixcon16 to run 300 pixel nodes per channel. I was using an auxiliary power supply to D.C. inject at pixel node 101 and 201. I had isolated the 12 volt positive (+) and 12 volt negative (-) at pixel 100, leaving the data wire intact. I had bonded the 12 volt negative from the pixcon16 to the 12 volt negative at the power supply, and wired from the power supply to node 101, and from the power supply to node 201.

The problem was that when I ran the hardware test from step 11 on the pixcon16 setup, the first 100 pixels worked, but the next 200 just remained on white. When I ended the hardware test, the first 100 turned off, the next 200 flickered on.

I removed the bonded negative from the panel, and  instead moved it to the pixel 101, and 201 (tying the negatives from the pixel node, and power supply together, leaving the positive isolated from each other), and the problem is fixed. All 300 lights work correctly in the hardware test, and from the sequence playback.

I hope this post sheds light on any similar issues.

• Thanks 1

Yes, you absolutely want data and power negative connected between 100 & 101 and again from 200 & 201.  Also, your power injection wants to inject both power positive and power negative at each inject point.  I have a drawing that explains that, but need to get back to hooking up my pixel tree before it gets dark in about three hours.

IMHO it does not hurt to bond ONLY the negative leads of the PSU's (if multiple) together.  But Yes, you need both Data and negative connected all the way thru

Thanks everyone. Good to know that the negative (-) also needs to be connected all the way through. I figured bonding it to the P.S. at the box was sufficient enough, but not so. I am leaving my P.S. (-) only bonded to the controller it supports, due to the multiple A.C. feeds I am using. I want the P.S. A.C. feed the same as the Pixcon16 A.C. feed, this way if the GFI trips, it takes out the controller and P.S. feeding the same pixie nodes.

• This topic was locked, unlocked and locked