Light-O-Rama Forums

Worth repairing RJ45 jack on old Showtime?

Dcroc

I have an old Showtime controller.  Metal case, Blue board, factory assembled....not really sure what model, but clearly an older one.  I managed to snag my foot on the Cat5 cable TWICE, and broke the connection on both RJ45 jacks.  No way I am ever going to repair this myself.  Is it worth sending it into LOR to be repaired, or more efficient to just buy a new unit?  Does LOR even do repairs like this on older units?  Expensive repair?  Thinking I probablu wouldn't get it back from the until after the Holidays at this point?   Figure I can pick up another used controller for around $150.

6 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

These can be repaired at home.    I did several in a few hours.   Not too hard. 

https://vimeo.com/301412627

Bob, 

Is there a reason this couldn't have been reworked. I am meaning with a solder work station I used to repair Xboxes and play station game and could evenly heat the solder and if needed replace a part with the same solder. Your wire you used to retrieve the solder reminds me a solder wick. Great job with that,

I have 1 bad one hoping LOR will send me 2 jacks.

JR

Sorry Dcroc    I glanced right over where you said you were not inclined to do a repair yourself.   

Jr   maybe you could snap in the new one using old solder.    But didnt think that would work because I thought it would get stuck one pin before others and not be seated evenly.   It did take some time with the improvised solder wick.  But that made all the pin holes open for a good insert.    LOR will certainly send you several jacks at no charge.   

• The topic was locked