Light-O-Rama Forums

Two Controllers not Communicating

sawyer1206

I have 6 controllers daisy chained together and my hardware utility is only picking up 1,2,4,&5. Controllers 3 and 6 will not communicate at all. I have plugged in directly two both controller, the LED stops blinking when I plug in but the Utility can't find them. I had all 6 controllers working 6 months ago and now I can't get 3 and 6 to respond, What am I doing wrong?

I switched all the patch cords several times and still got the same problem. I can't reassign the controller address if the Utility doesn't list it right? How do you reset a CTB16PC board?

Sorry I did not state how to do a reset in my previous post. I was trying to recall.

Disconnect the comm cables, unplug the power. Set the Unit switches to "00" then plug the unit in for about 10 seconds. Unplug, reset unit switches to the correct address, connect comm cables and plug in.

You do not say if your have the unit with the switches or not.

If you don't have the unit with the switches, then you will remove the jumper on the 18 pin header, then plug it in with the comm cables disconnected. Unplug, reinstall the jumper between the pins second row down. Then to set the unit id, you will use the hardware utility with ONLY this board connected, select any and then set the address.

Chuck

If the reset does not work then read on...

As far as 06 is concerned, make sure that you "Max Units" (Top right of screen) is set to a value greater than 5 or it will not locate that unit. The fact that the LEDs all stop blinking is good as it indicates you do have commuincation throught the entire daisy chain.

To reset the unit ID, plug just one of those controllers into the PC. With only the one controller attached, start the hardware utility. You are going to "Change Existing ID" (bottom left) Where it says "Old Unit ID" select "Any". Where is says "New Unit ID" Select the value you want to set the ID to 03 or 06. Then click "Change Unit ID".

• 1 month later...

cmoore60 wrote:

Disconnect the comm cables, unplug the power. Set the Unit switches to "00" then plug the unit in for about 10 seconds. Unplug, reset unit switches to the correct address, connect comm cables and plug in.

Chuck

Just wanted to say "Thank you" also!! I had this same problem tonight. I tried everything until I read this forum and it solved my problem.

FYI. Don't change your Unit # after you've connected them all to the PC and ran the Hardware Utility. I did this and I feel that's what caused my problem. Thanks again to all those who helped.

Tim