Light-O-Rama Forums

Added Pixel Trees...need configuration help.

Raine

I updated to a pro license this year, and I am using S4. Last year I had a very typical LOR setup: unit IDs 1-8 all on a regular network. Controllers are ctb16g3 and cmb24s (for units 7 & 8). I have been using the black adapter in the com3 port of my laptop. Everything works great to this point. This year I purchased 2 50x16 pixel trees and 2 pixie16s. I changed out the black 485 adapter for a red high speed adapter and changed the network to an enhanced protocol in the network preferences. Programming the song went great and the pixel trees all tested perfectly in the garage. Now everything is setup in the yard and there is a lot of random lights going on (unit ID 2 curiously) when they arent supposed to. I ordered a brand new controller to replace unit ID 2, but the same interference is happening. I think the problem is that the pixie16s need to be on a separate network ie. com4 or com5? Question...

Do I need to run the Pixel trees on their own networkwith the red adapter, and the rest of the show separately on the black adapter? If so...how do I add an additional com port so I can use both usb outlets on my laptop?

Thank You!!

Yes, run 2 (or more) networks (16 port Pixies need the speed) of the Red kind for Pixies.  You have 2400 channels PER. Pixie. You might get away with 1 Red if you don't do really rapid/effect changes

Use your old black as before.

Who is 'Regular' is just what you set. the New one will probably be AuxA,(AuxB)  The network configuration tool MAPS Con# to LOR Networks. (We really don't care what Com gets used as long as it maps to the LOR Network connected to the controller assigned)

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your response. I follow what you are saying with 2 separate networks, but I still have a question of how to put the pixie16s on a different Com? My laptop has 2 usb ports, but I'm only finding com3. 

I currently have both networks plugged in, but when I run sequences they only control 1 port or the other. I cant seem to figure out hoe to run both com ports at the same time?

Edited by Raine

5 hours ago, Raine said:

Thank you so much for your response. I follow what you are saying with 2 separate networks, but I still have a question of how to put the pixie16s on a different Com? My laptop has 2 usb ports, but I'm only finding com3. 

I currently have both networks plugged in, but when I run sequences they only control 1 port or the other. I cant seem to figure out hoe to run both com ports at the same time?

2 Steps that I do with both adapters connected (USB )

Use the HU to search for adapters (on the Left top). Note the COM ports found.

Then Unplug the RED ONE. Search again Use for show will set that one to REGULAR   (NOTE do not ever click use for show again unless you are into grief . HU will allow tests on any com selected)

Close HU. On the red bulb in the tray: select Network configuration: Set AUX A to the com you noted for RED. Set the speed to 500.

That sets all the networks

I only know SE: In your sequence with Pixies. Tools: Channel Configuration:  Click the Change controller button at the bottom:  Select the Pixie channel (you will do this 16 times, 1 for each port. Port1 is the base address, and so on) Now change JUST the network from Regular to Aux A, OK. Repeat for the other 15 channels. Ok to end the channel utility.

Repeat for any other Pixie sequences  <<<

• Like 1

This has been a big help! I followed those steps in the SE and the PE and it seems to have corrected the issue. The only question now is whether or not I can couple two cat5 cables together, as my pixel trees are more than 100ft apart. Thank you soooo much for your speedy assistance. Happy Lighting!!

24 minutes ago, Raine said:

This has been a big help! I followed those steps in the SE and the PE and it seems to have corrected the issue. The only question now is whether or not I can couple two cat5 cables together, as my pixel trees are more than 100ft apart. Thank you soooo much for your speedy assistance. Happy Lighting!!

I used a coupler when I accidentally ran out of cat5 cable. That will never happen again.

It was one of those cheap ones beige in color, probably not rated for outdoors but I had no problems. I used several of them to get me 300' LOL

Also I have a pixie thread if you need to watch the video it located at the very top of the general Hardware section

JR

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Raine said:

Awesome, thanks again!

Just dont couple the 2 NETWORKS together..

I build my own CAT5/6 so I custom lenght many, But I also buy 100' from Amazon.

💡 Different colors, so you know exactly what and where. In on Black, out on Blue to controller 2 (rhymes 😛 )

(The PC gets Red and Black... :)..  Label you red with the Network name, so when you add anotheryou will know which is which. Windws remembers which COM the red an black are using

• Like 1

• The topic was locked