Light-O-Rama Forums

Show setup

Dennis Laff

Bad start of setup     only a few props setup yeasterday (Sunday ) woke up this morning snowing like crazy. 6 inchs of snow expected  Merry Christmas in November .in Chicago IL 

That does not help!  Supposed to be 83 and severe clear today.  Headed to the roof to finish everything there (I hope) before it gets too hot up there...

Enjoy the snow....

Edited by k6ccc

Same snow estimate here in Fenton, MI. Wish I had gotten more done Saturday/Sunday. Though next Saturday is supposed to be a blazing hot 41 degrees. Looks like I'm waiting a few days to do more outside work. Good thing I have plenty of inside work to get done!

Dugh, I am behind the eight ball !  Haven't felt well for weeks. Last saturday I ended up in the ER,  high fever and riggors.  EKG,CAT scan, sonogram on my left leg which was very swollen and red.  Staph infection which was creeping up my leg went septic.  I was in a room till last wed with bags of meds pouring in . Now home with home IV treatment twice a day for two hours till the 16th.   Did that  stop lighting prep, nope , but slowed me down.  I took 15 sets of multi color nets one at a time streached out on the dinner table and layered a set of solid blue nets(walmart) on top and wire tied them together while the IV is pumping . All 15 are done !  Feeling better but tired.  I have been banished from the roof, so our neighbors Brian and David will get the 6 foot snowflakes up there .  I did hang three snowflakes over the garage today . Tomorrow , the lights around the garage door and front door . I will get this done ,I have been at this since take down last  year . Some new songs and this year 32 more channels .  I look in the mirror and say --GETER DONE . My 70th birthday is Dec 10th this is my present from me to  me .

Put it up ,play it loud makem smile!

David

• Like 1

Hey know how feel just started gel injections in both knees last week could hardly walk till injections  that's why I was out Sunday.   I turned 70 in May  great age !    Dennis

Thanks Dennis , glad to here thats working for you .   My outside will be 70 shortly , but my other half says there is a wide eyed nine year old on the inside.

David

19 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Well the snow stopped and now it's ice and 10 degrees outside no setup today 

I'm with you. It's up to whopping 15 degrees right now before the wind chill, and there is 12" of new snow on the ground. Welcome to November.

36 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Well the snow stopped and now it's ice and 10 degrees outside no setup today 

I'm in the same boat with everyone in the upper Midwest.  A balmy 7 this morning, but we have sun!  I dreaded taking down the display in weather like this - no way can I put it up.  Managed to get all the 1/2" EMT supports for props stuck in the ground over the weekend, had basically mud from the last snowstorm.  Normally needed a sledge to pound them in, was able to push in with my hand.  Did get some of the big props up.  Last year got everything up for Thanksgiving, then the Sunday after had an ice storm that took down half the display.  Worked with a new neighbor joining the show this year - so their house is done with 3 to go. Never in my life had I seen so much snow on Halloween.  If this weather becomes the norm, the display may be coming to an end.  Getting too old for this junk.

I'll take 40 degrees, a little rainy and blustery today. But it's supposed to drop into the 20s overnight. They WERE calling for that snow to get here, but I think we'll miss it. It was 50 at 6 am this morning when I walked the dog. I've heard of a 3 Dog Night but io there a three coat day? It was almost 70 two days ago, high 50 yesterday and supposed to be in the low 40s by late this afternoon and the 20s by tomorrow. 

In the same boat as everyone else here up north in the Arctic cold.  My thermometer said it was 3F this morning. Brrrr!

Lucky for me, the division of work says I'm software and husband is hardware, so he does most of the outside setup.  (I do help some here and there, but its mostly him!)  He did get the upper icicles up on the house this weekend before the real cold and bad weather came in.  That's the part we worry about the most since it is waaaay up there.  He still has plenty to put up, but the only part that needs the big extension ladder now is the peak of the garage.  Everything else off the ground can be reached from the "short" ladders and that's at least reasonably safe even if the snow doesn't melt.  He is sticking to indoors projects for the next few evenings and when it hits that balmy 40 on the weekend, he'll rush around getting outside stuff ready.  He definitely envies those of you in warmer climates and/or those who are retired and aren't stuck with just working on setup mostly on the weekends.

I did get most of my high up stuff on the house Saturday and Sunday before the cold got here in N.E Indiana. But I am on vacation next week and the weather looks dry and in the 40's, so should be a good week to get stuff done.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:18 AM, k6ccc said:

That does not help!  Supposed to be 83 and severe clear today.  Headed to the roof to finish everything there (I hope) before it gets too hot up there...

Enjoy the snow....

Low 80’s or high 70’s here. Took off 2 weeks Vacation to decorate, thanksgiving night, show ready. Next 3 days is decorating in the rain. Phoenix. Valley of the sun. Ugh. No rain all year until I need to decorate. 

2 hours ago, james morris said:

Every thing is up but the hard part today have to plug all the extension cords in will take all day to do

James

I feel for you. I spent the majority of yesterday hooking cords up on the house.

Wayne

It's dark and dreary here today and some of the snow is melting making the yard a bit slick and mucky, but it will be over 40 degrees, so my hope is to get at least two of my four arches set into the ground today during my lunch break. If I can get the other two and a couple of other items during my lunch break tomorrow I'll be feeling pretty good.

Lordy, I dont see how you folks do this in all the snow.  I got tired of that in Ny so we moved here 15 years ago . Last week I was sweating like crazy putting props in the front yard . A little behind this year with a short stay in the hospital, but even with a pik line in my arm for Iv drugs twice a day I was out there pullin wire .  Taking next week off and hope it is all working by Thanksgiving night. Still have the five  big LED snow flakes to put on the roof mounts , plus hang the roof line ice lights . Bushes that need to be trimed before the lights go on. Guess I will be a bizzie boy   ,  Yall be careful out there. It has cooled off here in Fort lauderdale thank goodness , in the upper 70's   so it wont be so hot on the roof ! I do have some help from my neighbors across the street, and my husband who walks with a cane is good at pointing his cane where he thinks I need to work hehehehehehehe!

David 

• The topic was locked