Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding new channels to a sequence with tracks

Tim Fischer

Hi all,

I did a few sequences in LOR II/S2 last year that made extensive use of tracks. This year I'm adding 2 new controllers.

From what I can tell, the only way I can get these 32 new channels onto each track (all tracks contain all of my channels) is to laboriously right-click each channel, and add it, one at a time, to each track. On my one sequence with 4 tracks, this took me about 20 minutes, including some missteps and then verifying I did everything correctly.

Is there not a way to say "select these channels asa group, and copy them to another track"? If not, consider this a very high priority (for me) feature request...

Thanks,
-Tim

Tim,

Have you tried making the changes in one sequence and then exporting the channel configuration. (Edit menu) Then open another sequence and import the configuration you just saved?

George

I click on all channels track then duplicate that track with a track name of All Red for example. Then open channel properity grid and select my new 'all red' track and delete the channels out of it that I do not need.

I park the mouse pointer over the first channel "X" to be deleted and hit Return twice. This deletes that channel and moves the channels up one line in the window. I keep doing this until I get to a channel that does not need to be deleted. Then move the mouse pointer to the next channel needing deleted. You have to watch out though because when you delete enough for the window to be scrolled to the bottom it will start moving up a channel instead of down.

Not sure it is the best way, but I think it is quicker than the way you describe above.

Sorry about the long explination.

It would be nice to select a group of channels and move or copy them to another track.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I click on all channels track then duplicate that track with a track name of All Red for example. Then open channel properity grid and select my new 'all red' track and delete the channels out of it that I do not need.

I park the mouse pointer over the first channel "X" to be deleted and hit Return twice. This deletes that channel and moves the channels up one line in the window. I keep doing this until I get to a channel that does not need to be deleted. Then move the mouse pointer to the next channel needing deleted. You have to watch out though because when you delete enough for the window to be scrolled to the bottom it will start moving up a channel instead of down.

Not sure it is the best way, but I think it is quicker than the way you describe above.

It would be nice to select a group of channels and move or copy them to another track.

The problem is, I already have existing tracks I want the new channels added to. Would the method above still apply?

-Tim

Paul Roberson wrote:

The problem is, I already have existing tracks I want the new channels added to. Would the method above still apply?

-Tim

I was just reading your post again. I don't think that method will work for you.

Is the timing the only thing different in your tracks?

If the timing if different in each track I think you can highlight the first row and copy timing. Then do a duplicate track that has the new channel added to it and then past the timing in it.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I was just reading your post again. I don't think that method will work for you.

Is the timing the only thing different in your tracks?

If the timing if different in each track I think you can highlight the first row and copy timing. Then do a duplicate track that has the new channel added to it and then past the timing in it.

Interesting thought -- thanks.

I'd still like a way to select multiple rows and say "copy/move to track" though :)

George -- I've not yet tried import/export with tracks yet. I remember hearing last year that there were some gotchas and I"m hoping it works for me...

-Tim

I just did a test and it works.

Open a track that does not have the new channels added and select the complete first row and copy timing. Then delete that track. Then do a duplicate track of the one that has the new channels added and name it the same as the one you deleted. Then copy timing to it.

Import can really mess you up if your channels are not in the exact same order. If all the channels you added are not mixed into your existing channels, and they are infact added on to the bottom. I think you can import sucessfully without messing up your programming. This is assuming that all your sequences had the channels in the exact same order.

The above idea will NOT work if the channels in the tracks are not in the same order!:shock::shock:

If the channels in each track are not in the same order I don't see any other way except for moving them one by one.

I think it would be cool to be able to copy tracks from one sequence to another. Not the whole channel configuration just single tracks.