Light-O-Rama Forums

controler willnot light lights

Dan Ancona

I built a 16 channel the other day. LED blinks. Loaded the Software Suite, Loaded the USB. Hooked up the CAT5. Light goes steady. so far so good. Hardware will not recognize the controler. Set the dips to 01 - forced in the controler # on the hardware. Light is still solid. Go to Test, nothing. What am I doing wrong??

Guest wbottomley

On the board, they are two rotary dials. The one on the left should be on 0 and the one on the right 1.

Make sure the hardware utility can see all of your boards.

OOOPPPSSSS: I see you mentioned kit and dip switches.

Try the trouble shooting guide: http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CTB16D_UserGuide.pdf to see if your problem might be there.

I believe that is the problem, where the PC can not find the board. When I refresh, it always comes up not found. In the Hardware Utility, next to the refresh buuton, the book says to manually add the unit number, which I did. Still no go. set on 01. Left 0 / righ 1.

make sure you controler is connected.
in hardware. click on the left (setup comm port). click on auto configure.
on right side, make sure you change the max units to the lowest number.

Dan Ancona wrote:

I built a 16 channel the other day. LED blinks. Loaded the Software Suite, Loaded the USB. Hooked up the CAT5. Light goes steady. so far so good. Hardware will not recognize the controler. Set the dips to 01 - forced in the controler # on the hardware. Light is still solid. Go to Test, nothing. What am I doing wrong??

Check U1 for a folded under pin or bad solder joint. Check R1 solder joints and part number. Check solder joint on U2, pin 17 (lower left, 3rd in fron left) and pins adjacent to 17.

refering to U2, does it matter if the socket is installed backwards? I know for a fact that the IC is in correctly (dot to the right), not so sure of the socket...

mean time, I'll check the other items listed,

Thanks, John.

Dan Ancona wrote:

refering to U2, does it matter if the socket is installed backwards? I know for a fact that the IC is in correctly (dot to the right), not so sure of the socket...

mean time, I'll check the other items listed,

Socket does not matter, but dot should be on the left.

good news!!! I believe I'm up and running. seems the hardare utility could not find the controller. I entered the ID in the change button (on left side) and perfect!!

Thank you so uch for all the help. John and Dan you guys are great. Thanks also to all of the others that helped too!

Now, to learn how to set up a sequence.... Sure I will be entering a new thread on that !!!

thanks again,

Dan

I was thinking the same about down the road. I did set the rotary switch to 0 - 1 and the max number to 5. Since that didn't work I had to 'force' the number. Now, I'm really struggling on how the whole set up operates and until I get a feel for it, I'm just trial and error. Between software versions and hardware set ups, I have to admit, I'm a little lost. And I actually have a pretty good knack for this stuff. I want to download S2 (right?) prior to getting any sequencing completed. No music this year, only animation. Baby steps... I do plan on another 16 channel kit next week too. Might as well jump in with both feet. I'm going to try Jeff's idea and clear the address and try over again. At least I know I can get it to work. (Monday project - last weekend for boating!!) Thanks everyone. I need help and you all are ready to lend a voice.

Dan Ancona wrote:

good news!!! I believe I'm up and running. seems the hardare utility could not find the controller. I entered the ID in the change button (on left side) and perfect!!

I am assuming that you used the Kit Troubleshooting Guide to see that you could put the jumper on as if you had a non-deluxe kit. If after setting the address with the Hardware Utility the REFRESH button finds the controller, then communications are ok and the address switches have a problem.

I would remove the jumper, set the address switches to 01, set MAX UNITS in the HWU to 240 and click REFRESH. If the controller is found at some higher address, then the switches or associated components have a problem. The Troubleshooting guide tells you what to check in this case.