Light-O-Rama Forums

Scheduling A Show

JonathanG

New to this and am planning to purchase an starter system for Christmas.

Just a basic question - can the software/hardware be schedule to play a show at a specific time each evening (and the rest of the time all the lights are on)?

Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, JonathanG said:

Just a basic question - can the software/hardware be schedule to play a show at a specific time each evening (and the rest of the time all the lights are on)?

Thank you so much.

Depends on what license level you purchase.

If you can afford, go with Pro but if not try to get advanced. Show on Demand will not work in Basic. One day you will want to get more controllers and maybe even get your feet wet with RGB's. If that is at all a possibility Id jump into the Pro level (if you have the funds so the wife don't kill you)

JR

http://www.lightorama.com/help/index.html?feature_comparison.htm

Edited by dibblejr

9 hours ago, JonathanG said:

Thank you so much.

Jonathan

Yes the LOR controllers will start and stop your show at times/days you schedule. I use 9 controller's to control all our lights, even the lights not sequenced to a song, that way you don't have to be there to turn anything on. The controllers are connected to our laptop and the shows sequenced play a set show you have scheduled.

Keith

Yes you can schedule shows, but if you want the lights to remain on AFTER the show ends, you will also need to add that to the schedule.

Example: My Christmas Display runs from 5:30pm-11pm every evening.  From 11pm-Midnight I keep SOME, NOT ALL, lights on steady.  The overnight from Midnight to 6:00am I run a schedule that turns lights off and on.  The last two schedules use Animation Sequences, whereas the Light Show itself uses Musical Sequences.

The first show, the main one is called: 2019~Christmas Show.lss {5:30pm-11pm Sunday-Saturday}

2nd Show, Specific Lights I want in Steady is called: 2019~Steady Christmas Lights.lss {11pm-Midnight}

3rd Show is called: 2019~Overnight Lights:lss {Midnight-6:00am}

I have daytime music running all day from 6:00am-5:25pm, this is called: 2019~Off Hours Christmas Music.lss {6:00am-5:25pm}  And I use an FM Transmitter and outdoor speakers for this and the Musical Light Display.  The daytime off hours music is a lot of dummy single channel Musical sequence, 1 dummy sequence for each song.  Currently I have 203 Off Hours Musical Single channel sequences for Christmas tunes.

You also use 2 different programs to set this up, the Show Editor which you add your sequences to and the Show Scheduler where you add the {filename.lss} files to create each show and times to run each one.   S5 is a bit different, as you need playlist files in S5, but I don't know enough about that version to say how it is set up, but in S4 this is how it's done.

But like others have stated, I think you should go Pro {or at least Advanced} as these license levels offer more options to do things that can't or may not be available in lower license levels.  If you're ever going to get into Pixels, Pro would definitely be the way to go now and not have to worry about upgrading later.  many folks go with the lower license levels, then get into Pixels and then wonder why they can't get some things to work, this is why most of us will always recommend start with the PRO License and be done with it up front.  Believe me, it will save you a lot of grief and headaches later if you don't go with PRO and then add pixels to your display.

Edited by Orville

I do this from the Show Editor and the Scheduler. My "shows" run from 6pm-9pm Sun-Thurs and 6pm-11pm Sat-Sun. My wife likes to see all the lights on for a brief period so I create a "light on" animation sequence that is 5 minutes long. In the first few seconds I dim all the lights up and the last few seconds lights down. I then put this in the "Startup" tab of my show editor. Then I add all my songs in the order I want them in the "Musical" tab. Then I open the "Shutdown" tab and do the same "light on" animation sequence there. Then I go into show scheduler and tell it to start at 5:55pm each day and shutdown at 9 or 11 depending on day. Also Christmas Day and New Years I run it longer so I put it in there for those times. This way all my lights come on at 5:55pm (along with my wife's manger scene which is on a separate timer so I don't use a channel for it) and they run and during shutdown they stay full on for another 5 minutes at the end. Then on January 2nd, I put on all my winter clothing and start tearing things down unless it is brutal cold which I take down the boxes and bring them inside and take down the extension cords and lights when it isn't so brutally cold. 🤣