Light-O-Rama Forums

Snowy Halloween

PJD

Well, the weather isn't really cooperating tonight here in Northern Illinois. It has been snowing all day.  I took a few pictures of our Halloween setup as it will start coming down this weekend to make way for Christmas. Our Halloween show is usually smaller that Christmas since it's main purpose is to help get a head start for the bigger show.  How big Christmas is, ends up depending on the weather.  Hopefully today's snow isn't a foreshadowing of what is to come for November!  I took these at dusk so that the blow-ups (and the smoke) would still be visible.

We have 3 city lots, so our yard is 180' x 100'.  This year, we are only using 2 of those since we still have retaining wall construction on the 3rd.  The long street front makes it hard to photograph or video.  To really do it justice, I would probably need to video from multiple places and then edit it all together.

After the photos are links to a few video clips - these aren't full songs - just a taste of a couple of them.  These are just linked to Google Photos, so I hope they work OK.

M5Gxthx.jpg

zYZIeRJ.jpg

58a3v5j.jpg

j5jIoCo.jpg

jj4KYYo.jpg

25 seconds of The Addam's family: https://photos.app.goo.gl/c5TNLMaHV2qEuFsBA

23 more seconds: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bEAMAZvGWVYTcGMY6

30 seconds of Ghosttown (but you really can't hear it): https://photos.app.goo.gl/MZznaPWQAMsp6aKu5

25 more seconds (slightly better sound) for the pixel trees: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sp7aZ5r3oprkQ8HZ6

Ghosttown (My heart is a ghost town by Adam Lambert) is the only one that I have sequenced entirely myself.  My faces probably aren't up to JR's standard, but I'm fairly happy with them.  The pixel trees are my first experiements and are using the built in motion effects from S5.

PJD

I would have rather had snow, Then I could have shut it down. First time ever in AL central AL with temp 39 when it started and 33 when I shut it down 1.5 hours early. SItting in my golf cart freezing to keep people from running through the yard.

This weather is crazy. Last year we had shorts on at 80 as usual people dancing in the yard. Last year we gave out 400 treat bags and 100 for the children with allergies (teal pumpkin project)

I may have had 100 tonight. Lots of extra candy

JR

You were not alone.  7 inches of the wet heavy junk.  I am used to taking down Christmas in it, but this is a first ever for Halloween. 

Optimized_20191031_170757[1]__1572614366_69587.jpg

My mother-in-law lives in Door County, WI and they had 1.5 half inches. She grew up there on a farm and she says the saying is "snow on Halloween; mud on Christmas."

Here in Virginia we had high winds and tornado warnings and the rain started about 8:00 so we only got half the kids we usually get. Which normally is about 60.

Seems to have been pretty bad weather all around.  We had a total of 15 trick-or-treaters.  We don't usually get tons, a "good" year is usually around 35-40.  Our street isn't ideal since it isn't a usual square block where you can go all the way around.  One end is a 4-lane major road with no houses (though it does at least have sidewalks) and the other end curves around and becomes a different street.  Only the kids who live right nearby bother to come down our street.  Sometimes people who come to see the lights have kids who will hop out of the car and come trick-or-treat, but that isn't all the common.

After the counts we actually did better than my above guesstimation. We had 185 based on leftovers and since I don’t eat candy it’s pretty accurate. Still less than 1/2 of a normal year.

My show will run through Sunday and then I will take down the webb and Halloween singers and start setting up Christmas.

Thats great about having a lot of large props and RGB- easy to take up and the majority will be up Halloween through New Years.

This Halloween was scaled back a bit, medical and lack of energy were the culprits.

JR

3 hours ago, PJD said:

Seems to have been pretty bad weather all around.  We had a total of 15 trick-or-treaters.  We don't usually get tons, a "good" year is usually around 35-40.  Our street isn't ideal since it isn't a usual square block where you can go all the way around.  One end is a 4-lane major road with no houses (though it does at least have sidewalks) and the other end curves around and becomes a different street.  Only the kids who live right nearby bother to come down our street.  Sometimes people who come to see the lights have kids who will hop out of the car and come trick-or-treat, but that isn't all the common.

I think I forgot to mention great show!

It's a shame you don't get more kids. There's only 45 houses in my neighbor and it's basically one long court and two little courts land-locked behind townhouses. You have to know it's there. So the 60 we usually get are mostly form the townhouses that know it's there.