Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Play

bigbth

I have now 5 musical sequences and 5 voiceovers that I am preparing to put together for the show. I will be using the show director instead of the computer. My question relates to the interconnectivity of the individual sequences. When I play a sequence in the editor it starts at 0 sec and goes until the sound file ends regardless of the length of the sequence reported in the editor as the total time. Will it play that way in the show or do I need to shorten the time on each sequence to match the sound file more closely?

Is there anyway to trim time off the front end of a sequence? One of my sequences has a bit of a long dead space in the front that I think must be also in the .mp3 file. What would be the best method to remove that dead space and maintain the accuracy of the sequence?

Thanks,

Brian

Hey Brian,

Since the sequence and the audio file start simultaneously, I think the only way to get rid of the dead space at the beginning is to edit the audio file. Others please correct me if I am wrong.

If you use Audacity (freeware) it is fairly easy to edit the audio. Just trim off the dead air at the beginning and then use the "skew track" command in LOR to realign the sequence.

-d

Hey Derrick,

Where have you been? I've had all sorts of problems this week!!

I was hoping for a simple delete and it's good but the edit thing will work also. I use a different mp3 editor form Code-It that has some other features and comes with a recording equalizer. I hooked up Sandi's Yamaha Digital Sound processor to generator my station identifier. Way cool! It does really neat devil voice also. Probably not appropriate for Christmas but next Halloween....

What problems are there in sound levels of the audio? I now have 10 sound files that I am sure are not all at the same level but what level (vague I know) should they be at? Do you have a base line of some sort or just adjust during setup? Can you adjust the audio output during play?

What about the sequence vs. play length?

Brian

Quit my job last week. I've been spending this week slacking off and getting paid to not be there. I start the new job on Monday. I'll send you new contact info when I have it.

Audacity has a nice feature that will normalize an audio file. That, combined with being able to bring the whole output level up or down, enables you to get the sound levels where you want them. Check your editor. It probably has similar adjustments available. Once you have all the audio alike, you can adjust your broadcast level with the volume on your output device and/or the power output pots on your transmitter.

As for what is a good level; I adjust mine so that they sound good and strong (good bass) through my headphones without any distortion. I then hook up the transmitter and adjust it and the PC volume until it sounds good on a boombox I have in the office. I then take a drive and make certain I can pick it up on the car stereo a good distance away. Make sure you do the last step with the transmitter in it's final location for your show. It makes a huge difference where it is placed. With mine in the basement, it transmits down the block about 200 yards. With it upstairs in my office, I can pick up the signal anywhere in town (+/- 2 miles).

I don't think it matters if your sequence and audio files are different lengths in the end. Again, someone correct me if I am wrong. LOR will just start them both and move on to the next when both are finished.

Good Enough! There are a lot of side projects before I get to the field test. I'll look at Code It and see if it can balance everything for me. I also downloaded a new program, MP3Gain, which is supposed to balance lists of mp3s and it does it in a way that doesn't create distortion, so I've read.

Have a good couple of days off. I will be up your way looking over some equipement so let me know your contact info. I might drop in on you.......yes, it's a threat.......

Brian