Light-O-Rama Forums

Directional spotlight

asl9622

I am looking for a spot light which is directional. By directional I really want it to shoot a visible beam vs flood light effect. It can be12v/rgb or ac plug. Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated!

20 minutes ago, asl9622 said:

I am looking for a spot light which is directional. By directional I really want it to shoot a visible beam vs flood light effect. It can be12v/rgb or ac plug. Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated!

The 'beam' ( between the light and the target) s not usually visible unless there is fog or smoke (aka dirty air).

How far does it need to travel? How wide is the spot (on the target) to be lit? Is plain White OK (your lamp spec was general and does offer  artistic variety :) )

Let's talk theater lighting for a moment. If you want a spotlight, something that would have a defined edge as opposed to something you'd see with a flood light (a diffused edge to the beam) you want what is known as an elipsoidal reflector spotlight. It gets its name from the shape of the reflector in the lighting fixture. The problem with these is that they are usually big, are power hungry, and are expensive. But, if you want to deal with a cheaper DMX controlled moving light, you may be able to get the effect you want for less money. The nice thing with one of these moving lights is that they usually include a color wheel, so you have a choice of colors to choose from. If you are using an ER, you just put a piece of colored plastic (a gel) in front of the light to get the color you are looking for. As always, more information is always helpful to find the kind of light fixture you are looking for!

Thank you for the replies! Below is a video of what I am kind of going for. I understand this motorized equipment is likely super expensive. I am just looking for a fixed option. White will work for me. 

26 minutes ago, asl9622 said:

Thank you for the replies! Below is a video of what I am kind of going for. I understand this motorized equipment is likely super expensive. I am just looking for a fixed option. White will work for me. 

What video (link please)?

That is a several hundred watt, high dollar moving head stage light. The weatherproof enclosures alone are at least multi  hundreds of  dollars.

2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

That is a several hundred watt, high dollar moving head stage light. The weatherproof enclosures alone are at least multi  hundreds of  dollars.

And I wish I could buy 4 or 8, lol

One less expensive option  if you don’t need to have it move would be to use a pin spot. These are usually used to light mirror balls. You’d have to check if they are dimmable or not. These won’t give you the hard edge, but they will give you a focused beam of light...much more focused than a flood type of light.

• Thanks 1

I searched Amazon. Most vendors seem to use Spot and Flood interchangeably.

Search Garden lighting for beam angle: I found one of 20deg

• Thanks 1