Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 board pigtail connections

metallus2000

51 minutes ago, Rockhammer53 said:

Pinout of the CCB 100 pigtail, aka dangle. Double click for full image. Hope that is helpful. Jim

CCB Pigtail3 pinout

Ah awesome, ty! I will try everyone's suggestions 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I know your question was solved but I am just curious......in the 1st picture you posted was that power supple a 12 volt power supple? If it was then I take it you switched it out to a 5 volt power supple.

19 hours ago, lightzilla said:

I know your question was solved but I am just curious......in the 1st picture you posted was that power supple a 12 volt power supple? If it was then I take it you switched it out to a 5 volt power supple.

I did not switch to 5v ps. Will the 5v bulbs burn out? My thought was to use the bulbs this year, and replace with 12v pixels next. I did run a sequence, and they seemed to run fin, no issues.

31 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

I did not switch to 5v ps. Will the 5v bulbs burn out? My thought was to use the bulbs this year, and replace with 12v pixels next. I did run a sequence, and they seemed to run fin, no issues.

Not good at all. I am suprised you did not see smoke already.

5V usually has a 5%  (+/- 1/4V) tolerance, 12V has a 10%

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Not good at all. I am suprised you did not see smoke already.

5V usually has a 5%  (+/- 1/4V) tolerance, 12V has a 10%

Only did two light strands, probably why it didn't. Off to get a 5v ps. Thanks. Just curious. Will the 5v ps run the pixie 16 controller board? If not, then I'll just move to pixels now.

17 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

Only did two light strands, probably why it didn't. Off to get a 5v ps. Thanks. Just curious. Will the 5v ps run the pixie 16 controller board? If not, then I'll just move to pixels now.

If you believe the Manual 😛, Yes.

If this was its dumb counterpart (CMB24) you would need a small 12V wall wort w/ a barrel plug

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

If this was its dumb counterpart (CMB24) you would need a small 12V wall wort w/ a barrel plug

AT least I'll have some nice effects this year. Maybe the Chief Financial Officer will approve the 12 v Pixels.

Thanks for saving the board :-)

7 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Yes, I built a guy a 5v however depending on your reason. 12v will get you more distance .

I have only 12v everything. I need the reach from controller to prop.

JR

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, I built a guy a 5v however depending on your reason. 12v will get you more distance .

I have only 12v everything. I need the reach from controller to prop.

JR

In order to jump start my RGB set-up, I purchased the 5v C-9 bulbs on clearance. I will use that set-up with the Pixie 16 5v system as a megatree. So no extensions on bulbs needed. Since I got the wrong power supply, I will use that 12v power supply with  another Pixie 16 controller that will run 12v lights, in an area where I need additional lights beyond the one string. I just have to figure out if I need two 12v power supply's, depending on how crazy I get. :-)

Lightorama Helpdesk recommended a 5v 80 amp power supply for the Pixie 16 controller, running 5v 50 count light strings.

Thanks everyone for the advice, not as easy thing to grasp from my 96 channel older set-up to the new technology. 

20 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

In order to jump start my RGB set-up, I purchased the 5v C-9 bulbs on clearance. I will use that set-up with the Pixie 16 5v system as a megatree. So no extensions on bulbs needed. Since I got the wrong power supply, I will use that 12v power supply with  another Pixie 16 controller that will run 12v lights, in an area where I need additional lights beyond the one string. I just have to figure out if I need two 12v power supply's, depending on how crazy I get. 🙂

Lightorama Helpdesk recommended a 5v 80 amp power supply for the Pixie 16 controller, running 5v 50 count light strings.

Thanks everyone for the advice, not as easy thing to grasp from my 96 channel older set-up to the new technology. 

Pixie 8 and 16 can run at 2 different voltages. 12V on 1 Bank and 5V on the other..

BTW, 40A supplies are easy to find. 1 per bank on the pixie 16

9 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Pixie 8 and 16 can run at 2 different voltages. 12V on 1 Bank and 5V on the other..

BTW, 40A supplies are easy to find. 1 per bank on the pixie 16

Good to know on separate voltages. 

I take it that two 40amp power supplies would be for 12v when you add additional lighting? Will one 5v power supply work for both banks, using 5v lighting?

1 hour ago, metallus2000 said:

I take it that two 40amp power supplies would be for 12v when you add additional lighting? Will one 5v power supply work for both banks, using 5v lighting?

I wouldn't do it though

1- to easy to create a problem by plugging in the wrong light strips/ strings

2- If you have different voltage lights, you need inventory for different voltages.

Much easier to stick with all the same volts and mfgs of lights.

JR

You do not have to use 2 power supplies.

I only used 2 on the first pixie16 I built for testing. That was because, I had them and I could not get a larger one in time for testing for LOR.

JR

41 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You do not have to use 2 power supplies.

I only used 2 on the first pixie16 I built for testing. That was because, I had them and I could not get a larger one in time for testing for LOR.

JR

Agree, not mixing voltages. And, I will use only one power supply. 

• 2 weeks later...

So everything works fine. Changed out the 12v ps for a 5v one. 

Have a follow up question on the 3 wire dongles. Colors are red, yellow, black. 

Where do the colors go?
Black =
Red= 
Yellow =

Data, ground, voltage.

EasyPlug3 / 3 Conductor / FEMALE Pigtail Only / Screw Together / Pre-Stripped Pigtail / Waterproof (18 AWG) / RGB Smart Pixels

Found it....

Edited by metallus2000

So everything works fine. Changed out the 12v ps for a 5v one. 

Have a follow up question on the 3 wire dongles. Colors are red, yellow, black. 

Where do the colors go?
Black =
Red= 
Yellow =

Data, ground, voltage.

EasyPlug3 / 3 Conductor / FEMALE Pigtail Only / Screw Together / Pre-Stripped Pigtail / Waterproof (18 AWG) / RGB Smart Pixels

Found it....

You don't use the clock pin on the Pixie. The others match  as labeled

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

You don't use the clock pin on the Pixie. The others match  as labeled

Yep, thank you.