Light-O-Rama Forums

Active X problem with S2

Bryan K

I am trying to use S2 on a 1 Gig machine running Windows ME with Media Player 9..... Since getting the LOR software I have had hurdle after hurdle.... It seems I move a few steps forward and I hit another road block that I have to solve before I can move any further.....

My problem now is when I go to save my sequence I get and Active X error..... I am told "Active X cannot create component"...... I have tried several directories that I KNOW are there, but still no luck...... It just will not save the sequence.... What is the problem now??? As I said I have hit road block after road block with this software since July.... Did all the upgrades, the MP3 conversions and now this.... I would really like to use this system this Christmas, but I am beginning to think that is not going to happen, am ready to just give up.....

Would really appreciate any help anyone can offer on de-bugging this......

Thanks.

I do have a machine running XP, but it is dedicated as a main or family computer.... So I cannot use that for shows..... This 1 Gig machine should work.... all aspects of the LOR software work fine and smooth, (so far), except for saving the sequences....

Bryan, that ActiveX error is almost ALWAYS due to a dependent DLLor OCX missing from your Windows system folder that LOR needs to run. I'll bet money that the error probably tells you it is a "429" ActiveX error?

Send an email to support and ask them if they have a list of files that LOR needs to run. Then see if those files are in the system folder. It's likely to be a short list of 5-10 files.

I can't speak for LOR's installation, but if it is like most, they will ship the dependent dlls and ocx files that are needed for the application, but those files often depend on other Microsoft shared files being in place. This can also be a problem on some brand new computers like certain models of Dell.

Frankly speaking, I would get away from Win ME as fast as I could run. It's riddled with holes and old. At least come up to XP level.

If you don't get a solution from support and can't bare to upgrade to XP, let me know. I will run the "Dependency Walker" tool on LOR to see what files it uses and the one's that its dependents use.

The reply from NgocHong on that link is the same thing I was referring to above. ActiveX errors are practically always due to missing dependencies. Those other suggestions in the link won't fix an "Active X" error. Different errors will come up if files are in the wrong folder or the file attributes are set incorrectly, etc.

You probably noticed that when he ran a slightly newer gamma version, the problem started occurring, but when he switched back to 1.6.1, the error came back. That tells you there is a new file in the gamma version that has a system dll or ocx dependency which is missing.

Well, I appreciate every one's input on my problem, and I have tried everything I could possibly think of..... Have wiped and re-installed the software, have wiped and re-installed my operating system and still no luck.... I just can't get over this Active X hurdle..... and yes Chad! That screen shot you sent me is exactly what I am seeing too.

I consider myself a little smarter then the average guy when it comes to this stuff, I am a Ham radio operator and a electronic tech, (broadcast), so I can figure my way out of most problems like this.... However I am NOT a software engineer, so when it comes to files missing this or that I am lost..... So when you all say I am missing files I am not sure if you mean my PC is missing files it should have, or if the light o ramma software was written without these files.....

As far as upgrading the PC to XP, as I said before the machine I had planned on using is an old 1 Ghz PC, so I am not sure if it is even worth spending the money on a new operating system, besides, as I also said, when I bought this stuff from LOR, I was under the impression it WOULD run under the Win 98/ME/2000 enviroment without problems, so I never planned on all the software glitches that I have run into over the last few months and weeks.... So as I said I had hoped to use this gear this year, but it isn't looking like that will happen, so maybe I'll try for next year and use 2009 to work all the bugs out of it..... Don't get me wrong... I like the equipment LOR provides, very well built and repairable if ever need be, but the software, in my opinion, seems buggy.

Again.... thanks for everyone's advice and time..... I will keep trying.

BRYAN ;)

Bryan,

I have to run out all day, but I saw this note. I'll reply later tonight by PM.

I think the glitch you are having is unusual, and I am quite certain it is due to one or two missing files that normally ship with the computer.

Not every computer manufacturer will ship the same core set nor the same versions of Microsoft shared DLL and that is likely the issue. No matter how many times you uninstall, regwipe, and reinstall LOR, I'll bet big money it will not solve the problem because you will still be missing the core dependency DLL file that should be located in the system32 folder and originally placed there by the computer vendor.

What I am trying to say (obviously not clearly) is that when software developers create programs, they almost always use some mixture of "pre-created" code by Microsoft or other 3rd party software tools vendors. Those tools do things like open dialogs, show messages, etc. There's no sense in re-enventing the wheel.

Not more than 3 weeks ago, a past client had this probelm with their software and it seemed to affect only about 2 % of the customers. Once I found the DLL they were missing, they put that dll into the installer of their software and then all was well on those computers.

I seem to remember that some people have had this problem with Microsoft's XML package (MSXML), despite the fact that we include it in our distribution (or at least we think we do...).

Could you please try manually installing MSXML version 4.0 SP2? You can find it on Microsoft's website, here:

The installer is listed on that page under "Files in This Download" as "msxml.msi".

Please let us know how it goes.

HI Everyone.....

I am happy to announce I think my delima may be solved..... Last night I went up to Microsoft's website and pulled all the updates and patches I could find for Windows ME.... Even though they no longer support the product, they still have all the updates from when they did.... Anyway, after doing all the updates the LOR software seems to be running fine now, and most importantly saving my sequences.... So whatever I needed must have been in one or more of those updates.....

That PC never goes online as I only keep it around for little side projects.... Like LOR for example, so maybe that is all I needed to do.... Hopefully it is up and running now without any further problems.....

Thanks to everyone again for your help... It really was appreciated...

Ah, that makes sense and does not surprise me. Getting those Microsoft system files is practically always the solution to an ActiveX problem.

Glad to see you are up and running.

• 2 months later...

wbe12345 wrote:

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM USING WINDOWS ME WITH LORII.

THE ANSWER IS "INTERNET EXPLORER 6 SERVICE PACK 1".

AFTER INSTALLING THIS THE ACTIVE X ERROR MESSAGE WILL BE NO MORE.

WALLY

Yup, that's because the MSIE SP1 installs newer versions of the shared DLLs that are used in the media player. Although installing the service pak resolved your issues, it is still likely that it won't resolve the issue for other LOR users with a similar problem because the service pak does not upgrade all media player files. It's still best to install the newer media player.

• 3 months later...

I also have same problem with Windows ME. Strange because I used LOR 11 all last season with no problems. I now go to do some updates on sequences and cannot save sequences and get active X failure. Trying to download updates with flash stick but it is not working. Will try it on line and see if it works. Glad I have some time for my frustrations.

My thanks for all the suggestions and the answer was the service pack 6 for ME which cured my Active X problem. It now saves sequences normally. I had to go on line to make the download as It could not be done with flash drive memory stick. I still find it interesting that I ran all last season with no problems and after 3 mo shutdown, the problem developed. Anybody have any theory on how or why! Almost like a timer kicked in and shut down part of the program. Sure nice to be up and running again. Now time to get back to reprogramming my sequences.

Water Bill

Yes Bill, lots of reason why this can happen.

The files used by the Media Player contain several Microsoft shared dlls. You symtoms could occur for any or reason below, or more reasons I forgot to mention.

1. An LOR update could not be requiring newer files than before.

2. Another application installed an older version of a shared file on your system, thus breaking the player. This happens more often than you might think... due to sloppy installers by some vendors.

3. A shared file got deleted or corrupted on the system.

4. Some application which was installed may have removed a shared dll by improperly interpretive the "shared dll use count" in the registry.

etc

etc

Richard

Thanks for informative update. It is great to have this forum to ask the questions but it is far better to have innovative people like yourself that take the time to answer the questions and post such good info. It is much appreciated and again my thanks.

Water Bill