Light-O-Rama Forums

New Props

MichRX7

On 10/11/2019 at 7:03 PM, dibblejr said:

It’s great to see some new members here that seemingly have energy.

Stay around a while.

All of you. We all start out like that but some drop out of the forums after the holidays or their requests for help are over.

JR

I'm still pretty new to this LOR stuff. Sometimes, I find it better to just sit back and learn from you and Orville, et. al., and listen. This will be my third year and I've added a few things every year, although I don't know how much more I can add, given my yard and storage limitations. Also, the roof peaks on my house are too high and I'm getting too old to get up on a ladder anymore. Having said that, I try to pop in during the "off season," to keep up with trends and pick up tips along the way. So far, I've only been doing LOR for Christmas, but after picking up a few ideas here I have a some ideas for Halloween next year.

JR, you have been instrumental in these forums and are far more generous with your time, expertise and patience (thanks for helping ME!) than just about anyone in any forum I've spent time on. They say it takes 10,000 hours to be an expert at something. My guess is you've got at least 5 or 10 times that much. I have a LOOOONG way to go.  I know you don't do S5 and I'm making the transition and have been trying to help others when I can. So maybe I'll catch up to you someday in that regard.

Thanks for your help and service!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tlogan said:

I'm still pretty new to this LOR stuff. Sometimes, I find it better to just sit back and learn from you and Orville, et. al., and listen. This will be my third year and I've added a few things every year, although I don't know how much more I can add, given my yard and storage limitations. 

There's always room for jell-o, I mean more props. Start stacking vertically. 😂

Show me a picture of your yard filled. I'll show you another spot for 16 more channels.

Edited by MichRX7
  • Haha 2

You're on! I'm already adding 16 more and a Pixie II this year, so it will have to wait until I get everything out there. You know, in a month or so.

Yippp heee  ,this is third year for me , this year added 32 more channels with kits I built from the sale, at 64 now.  In the spring I re lit five wire six foot snowflakes with new led rope  one run of pure white and one of blue so yes I did it twice they go up on the roof, Thank you Val at Christmas-LEDS.com.  I also added blue leds to four  four foot plastic snow flakes which were already in white ,so all that ate some channels. I also added four new wire trees  covered with c9's  which will go in the bamboo stand at the drive.   Two more wire trees for the front yard with multi/white  led's,which makes five in a row, three blue dimmable flood on the palm trees in the front and in front of the house.  To that I am adding four 7 1/2 fake trees to the front of the house  each tree will have three sets of led's ,multi /white/a solid color, more channels three for each tree.  Plus three star showers aimed high at the tops of the palm trees I found I can control them with LOR,just on/off.

We were at our walmart here in fort lauderdale they have all their stuff out. This year I found solid  ,blue , green and red net lights 150 lites led 4x6 for $12.96  I wanted a shopping cart full but the warden said no.  Guess I will have to take a chance on some being left for the 50 off sale  I need 35 sets.   Right now the living room is full and I am programming and just added the Hippo song to the existing song line up which I had to go thru and add the other channels to all the other songs.

Thanks to all for the help I have received from the learned group on the forums, there is always someone with the answer,you guys the best !!

Lite it up, play it loud, and makem smile !!!!!

David

PS:  I will be using the bubble machine again this year, the kids loved it ,especially me, hehehehehe!

Wait, what? Solid color net lights? At Walmart? I did NOT see that in my Walmart last weekend. Guess I need to stop in there again, but it looked like they had pretty much everything out. I don't know why they are so hard to find and so expensive when I find them online.

They didn't have a lot of each color ,that,s why I whined all the way home, maybe I will make a sneak attack.  My husband loves me ,he lets me buy all the led lites I can hide.  Yes nets are very expensive been looking all over and when I saw these I almost passed out , ok now I am getting my courage up , Walmart is open till 10 pm, it's on the way home.

Walmart update on solid color net lites, went back there last night , YES---blue,red,and green ,150   4x6  lite sets Holiday Time brand,   the shelf was full of each color. I bought three sets blue to try.   Plugged them into the controller I am working on and they looked great and dim very well.  Not bad for $12.96 a set. will be going back for more . They are also listed on the walmart web site ,several of the walmarts in fort lauderdale  are listed as having them in stock.  A lot of folks have said walmart lites have worked well for them so guess we will wait and see . 

David

19 hours ago, DLH lites said:

PS:  I will be using the bubble machine again this year, the kids loved it ,especially me, hehehehehe

I'm pretty sure WE are all the biggest kids in this hobby. :)

• Like 1

Maybe I need to swing by my local Walmart on the way home and check again. I would go at lunch but it's FINALLY raining here. We are down 5" since September 1st.

1 hour ago, DLH lites said:

Walmart update on solid color net lites, went back there last night , YES---blue,red,and green ,150   4x6  lite sets Holiday Time brand,   the shelf was full of each color. I bought three sets blue to try.   Plugged them into the controller I am working on and they looked great and dim very well.  Not bad for $12.96 a set. will be going back for more . They are also listed on the walmart web site ,several of the walmarts in fort lauderdale  are listed as having them in stock.  A lot of folks have said walmart lites have worked well for them so guess we will wait and see . 

David

22 hours ago, DLH lites said:

PS:  I will be using the bubble machine again this year, the kids loved it ,especially me, hehehehehe!

If I put up a bubble machine the kids would be throwing soapy ice balls around the yard.

While on this new prop topic. I'm about to start building my Merry Christmas lettering using dumb rgb strips. Does anyone know how tight you can "bend" strips without damaging them? The "a" and "t" have me worried about damaging the strip in the cursive letters.

6 hours ago, MichRX7 said:

While on this new prop topic. I'm about to start building my Merry Christmas lettering using dumb rgb strips. Does anyone know how tight you can "bend" strips without damaging them? The "a" and "t" have me worried about damaging the strip in the cursive letters.

Strips are easily damaged, though last year my contractors 70’ ladder fell on 4 of my circles and they all survived.

The video showed it all. Why would anyone think they could free stand a 70’ ladder and then tilt it towards the house?

Had it not fell in my circles it would have taken the massive expensive window 50’ up.

JR

So, really wide and loopy letters this year since it is a late start and plan something better for next year, got it. Oh, and start earlier. Like March.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, tlogan said:

Maybe I need to swing by my local Walmart on the way home and check again. I would go at lunch but it's FINALLY raining here. We are down 5" since September 1st.

Stopped by my local WM last night on way home last night and they added and organized a TON of stuff since last weekend when we were there. So I DID pick up a couple of the LED net strings for $12.96.  And my WM only had white, blue and multi, so I picked up one of each. Maybe I'll check online for green and red and get them shipped.

6 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

So, really wide and loopy letters this year since it is a late start and plan something better for next year, got it. Oh, and start earlier. Like March.

Yeah, March. It's taking WAAAAY longer than it should to make my lamp posts (10 of them). Taking tomorrow off to at least get the rest of the parts cut out and maybe a coat of primer on them.

Made a lunchtime run to another WM and that one only had the white and multi LED net lights. I really wonder how that company makes any money. SOMEBODY has to make the decisions about which merchandise to ship to which stores. Who POSSIBLY thought it was good idea to NOT send RED and GREEN net lights, you know, AT CHRISTMAS TIME, that are advertised on the website as "in store only" and cannot be shipped?

OK, I guess they make their money because while I was in there I picked up a replacement wireframe animated deer. So still not a NEW prop, but well, I haven't been putting the broken one out, so it SEEMS like new.

OK, OK....and two GIANT candy bars for $2 each. I see the large candy bars in the grocery store that are about 1/3 or 1/4 the size for $1.98.  Maybe I'm not understanding something and it's why I'm not in that business. You know, like Milo Minderbinder in Catch 22 when he bought eggs for 7 cents a piece and sold them at a profit for 5 cents apiece.

47 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Made a lunchtime run to another WM and that one only had the white and multi LED net lights. I really wonder how that company makes any money. SOMEBODY has to make the decisions about which merchandise to ship to which stores. Who POSSIBLY thought it was good idea to NOT send RED and GREEN net lights, you know, AT CHRISTMAS TIME, that are advertised on the website as "in store only" and cannot be shipped?

OK, I guess they make their money because while I was in there I picked up a replacement wireframe animated deer. So still not a NEW prop, but well, I haven't been putting the broken one out, so it SEEMS like new.

OK, OK....and two GIANT candy bars for $2 each. I see the large candy bars in the grocery store that are about 1/3 or 1/4 the size for $1.98.  Maybe I'm not understanding something and it's why I'm not in that business. You know, like Milo Minderbinder in Catch 22 when he bought eggs for 7 cents a piece and sold them at a profit for 5 cents apiece.

Sometime when Walmart orders the lights they come in boxes that are mixed.

You should always check within the display boxes just in case.

I had an inside tip on that while looking for pink and purple. Needless to say I will never in my life run out of pink and purple light strings. Probably no other colors either.

I know for sure my Walmart at home inventory is larger than my Walmart inventory. Moving mostly to RGBs my children will be willed my extra lights.

JR

22 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Sometime when Walmart orders the lights they come in boxes that are mixed.

You should always check within the display boxes just in case.

I had an inside tip on that while looking for pink and purple. Needless to say I will never in my life run out of pink and purple light strings. Probably no other colors either.

I know for sure my Walmart at home inventory is larger than my Walmart inventory. Moving mostly to RGBs my children will be willed my extra lights.

JR

Yeah, I've noticed that. These are in display boxes that were just put out so no one had gone through them yet and none of the "workers" have put things back in the wrong display box. What's on the boxes and what's in them seemed to be in sync, at least the couple I went through. And for some reason, these are high on the shelf, so I'd have to pull them all down to go through. It's just frustrating. Guess I'm not that desperate.

Yet.

P.S. - I reckon my wife will just sell everything.

Edited by tlogan