Light-O-Rama Forums

Had my laptop stolen...

marcmiller04

Went to California earlier this year and our rental car was broken into and among the things taken was my laptop and a couple of external hard drives that contained ALL of my LOR stuff...

I'm super bummed because I have to start over, but at the same time I am kind of excited...  I just need to remember all the stuff I had planned from before now haha

So sorry to hear that happened to you.     I learned this lesson long ago.   So now I protect my sequencing efforts by never going to California! 

There are many free download sites to be found.   If you are looking for a gem that is hard to find you could say the type and number of controllers.  

• Haha 1

Daylight does not stop this. These are Pro's. The know how to spot Rental cars (You sticking around to prosecute is slim), this with CA leaning  on rental brands to remove identifying marks on the cars that used to make life easy for the clerks (but also for the crooks)..  In the trunk. 100% out of sight and don't put it there when you ARRIVE at your stop.  Spotters!

It’s to bad you waited until this late in the season but there is always a few that have similar events of misfortune.

Best you can do is ask for shared sequences that Intrest you.

Or start banging away in the keyboard. Either way it’s very late in the game.

Sequencing never stops. Went on Family vacations and still drag my sequencing laptop with me.

Best of luck.

JR

I zip and upload all my sequences into the cloud each year on Onedrive. It helped a lot this year as when my daughter and son-in-law decided to do it I could pull back down my old 32 channel sequences and retro-fit them to match their yard layout.

I also have them on the laptop zipped and on a USB stick zipped. Can one be over-careful?

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 10:45 PM, dibblejr said:

It’s to bad you waited until this late in the season but there is always a few that have similar events of misfortune.

Best you can do is ask for shared sequences that Intrest you.

Or start banging away in the keyboard. Either way it’s very late in the game.

Sequencing never stops. Went on Family vacations and still drag my sequencing laptop with me.

Best of luck.

JR

Honestly, I own a small remodel company and summer into Oct is my busiest season for anything and everything.  Most weeks are about 70 hours and with all that going on I really just hadn't thought about the fact that the sequencing was on the laptop until about a week ago.

I've been plugging away since then, got my preview re-drawn and re-downloaded all my music I had last year.  Slowly getting back to it...

Thanks for the input guys, not really sure why I posted, wasn't meant to be a pity thing, was more of a FML moment haha

Seriously, this thread is the thing of nightmares and I'm sorry for your loss. I wasn't being in any way condescending when I posted about backups, just think it is something we all need to be cognizant of as I know many of us on here have "years" of our life invested into programming our light shows. I have had these nightmares which is why I back-up so often (note to self, backup the 2019 show files again).

I would offer help, but I don't run S5 (yet). I'm planning on venturing into smart pixels for 2020, so I guess that is in my near future. I don't usually share my sequences because I'm not sure my home-grown programming style would work with anyone else's shows, lol. I think they would probably come across as a programmer who doesn't comment their code. 😂

Have you looked in the sharing sequence section to see if you can get some starter files so you aren't starting from scratch? I've never used one because I like to torture myself to be unique in my sequencing. I'm sure many members running S5 would be willing to assist you that way.

1 minute ago, MichRX7 said:

Seriously, this thread is the thing of nightmares and I'm sorry for your loss. I wasn't being in any way condescending when I posted about backups, just think it is something we all need to be cognizant of as I know many of us on here have "years" of our life invested into programming our light shows. I have had these nightmares which is why I back-up so often (note to self, backup the 2019 show files again).

I would offer help, but I don't run S5 (yet). I'm planning on venturing into smart pixels for 2020, so I guess that is in my near future. I don't usually share my sequences because I'm not sure my home-grown programming style would work with anyone else's shows, lol. I think they would probably come across as a programmer who doesn't comment their code. 😂

Have you looked in the sharing sequence section to see if you can get some starter files so you aren't starting from scratch? I've never used one because I like to torture myself to be unique in my sequencing. I'm sure many members running S5 would be willing to assist you that way.

FYI- you do not need S5 to run pixels. Im running S4 and have a plethora of pixels and use 13-14 networks. No problems

Unless I fall and hit my head or LOR fully shuts down the previous versions I don’t plan on running S5.

JR

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

FYI- you do not need S5 to run pixels. Im running S4 and have a plethora of pixels and use 13-14 networks. No problems

Unless I fall and hit my head or LOR fully shuts down the previous versions I don’t plan on running S5.

JR

Well, let it be known that I've already targeted you for all my questions on starting with pixels in 2020, so don't stop reading/replying to this forum. 😂

Do you run the S4 SuperStar Sequencer as well? From what I've read everyone swears S5 is better when you jump into pixels. I run the pro version of SE, but haven't purchased the SS add-on yet as it always confuses me how much $ I have to drop on that.

2 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

Well, let it be known that I've already targeted you for all my questions on starting with pixels in 2020, so don't stop reading/replying to this forum. 😂

Do you run the S4 SuperStar Sequencer as well? From what I've read everyone swears S5 is better when you jump into pixels. I run the pro version of SE, but haven't purchased the SS add-on yet as it always confuses me how much $ I have to drop on that.

No worries when you get there just ask as long as S4.

Yes I do run SS 60ccr However most can get by with less ccrs.

JR

On 10/9/2019 at 10:18 AM, PhilMassey said:

This is my LOR folder, a mapped network drive  L:\. It's also Dropboxed, so its automatically synced. Dropbox now has a rollback feature, so it's safe from ransomware.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3p2c7uf7imxp8h/files cap.jpg?dl=0

I hope this is true.  A few years ago I was hit by ransomware.  Dropbox was hit just like every other drive on my network.  No rollback.  Dropbox said to them it was me changing the files.  

My backup is now thumbdrive and I burn a dvd with all my data for the year.  Show, pictures, files, sequences etc.

I no longer trust the cloud. 

Sax

I back it all up on 2 different computers, and and 2 different external HD's.  4 copies in 4 different phsyical devices, and all 4 are never powered at the same time.  I don't trust the cloud. 

• The topic was locked