Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR RGB colors

Holiday2NV

I am contemplating picking up some 10w dumb floods and some pixel bulbs (and corresponding controllers) to compliment my Halloween decorations, which are focused around a set of projected singing pumpkins (from TheSingingPumpkin.com). I’m wondering how well do the LOR products reproduce Halloween colors like orange and purple?

Secondly, what level of software would I need to get to run the video along with the “show”?

I honestly get good Halloween colors but you will have to do some tweaking to get the color you want. As far as license, you would need the Pro since you would be doing video and pixels.

2 hours ago, Holiday2NV said:

I am contemplating picking up some 10w dumb floods and some pixel bulbs (and corresponding controllers) to compliment my Halloween decorations, which are focused around a set of projected singing pumpkins (from TheSingingPumpkin.com). I’m wondering how well do the LOR products reproduce Halloween colors like orange and purple?

Secondly, what level of software would I need to get to run the video along with the “show”?

The Light-O-Rama Software will work nicely for both video and lighting together.  And as Mr. P stated, you'll need a Pro License to accomplish it.

Now as for Orange and Purple using RGB Lights, I have to say, they are fair, but far from perfect.  I get a fairly decent orange, but purple tends to look a little more pinkish than an actual purple AC powered L.E.D. strand, and orange AC atrands also do a better orange than their RGB Counterparts.  

I use purple and orange in my LOR RGB strands {Bullet Nodes and C7/9 type}, but I just can't get that exact color of a standard orange or purple L.E.D. AC powered strand.   And I've tried all kinds of combinations to get the perfect looking oranges and purples, but nothing can compare to dedicated orange or purple L.E.D.'s.  

Perhaps one day they'll be able to do so more accurately, but for now I settle for what I can get with the color shading and use of different intensities to get as close as I can to them.

For a general idea of flood colors on white walls, Take a look at the cell phone videos I took the other night. I have 8 floods across my house for Halloween and will have 8 more on the roof for Christmas . It's a bit hazy as it was a cell phone video but it shows the wall with the flood light colors. 

Or here's another from tonight https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=502895187219142&id=270932243748772

Edited by GriswoldStyle

Interesting that Orville has issues getting a good purple (no offense Orville!)...I am currently lighting my house in purple and green and I'm very happy with the purple that I get when I put the blue and red channels both at 100%. But, since I'm not trying to match the color of a strand of lights, it's probably much easier for me to be satisfied with the purple color I'm getting. I have video from our Halloween lights in the Halloween sub-forum if you want to see the color purple that I'm getting.

4 hours ago, Oliver Blatt said:

Interesting that Orville has issues getting a good purple (no offense Orville!)...I am currently lighting my house in purple and green and I'm very happy with the purple that I get when I put the blue and red channels both at 100%. But, since I'm not trying to match the color of a strand of lights, it's probably much easier for me to be satisfied with the purple color I'm getting. I have video from our Halloween lights in the Halloween sub-forum if you want to see the color purple that I'm getting.

Any color other that R or G or B depends a lot on how the lamp assembly (chip) is made.  Any diffusion helps blend the RGB mix better. Sitting at your PC and clicking 'Purple' ('Orange') is only a starting point if you are fussy.  You need to look at those lights under the typical show conditions (in a dark Garage) and adjust the blend to taste or add a diffusion to modes where you can see the LED chip.

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Any color other that R or G or B depends a lot on how the lamp assembly (chip) is made.  Any diffusion helps blend the RGB mix better. Sitting at your PC and clicking 'Purple' ('Orange') is only a starting point if you are fussy.  You need to look at those lights under the typical show conditions (in a dark Garage) and adjust the blend to taste or add a diffusion to modes where you can see the LED chip.

Exactly. I should have clarified that I never just click the color, but always look at the light performance to set R B B values. As a lighting designer I'm just used to doing this routinely, so I should have included this in my previous post! Absolutely +1 on not going by what your screen tells you, but how the light actually behaves in the intended environment!

My suggestion is to use the Hardware Utility to adjust the actual lights preferably mounted in the location where they will be used.  Tweek levels until you get the colors that you want.  Record the values.

Just for the record I do all my RGB testing in a dark room with the exception of the monitor, there are absolutely no other lights on where I run the sequence tests.  I also used the HU to get the parameters to make Purple and Orange, Orange does just a hair better than Purple, but to me the Purple does look more towards pink than purple.   And I've scrolled up and down the color bars to make all sorts of colors, some came out looking pretty great, others were mediocre and some were just not what I expected at all from some combinations.  And when I run a sequence I usually put in loop mode in the SE and turn off the monitor so I can see what's happening in a PITCH BLACK ROOM, no lights of any kind on, not even the monitor at this time of the testing stage.

I test in the HU, then I test again using the same settings in an RGB sequence in the SE.

However, I do notice that some of my RGB strands with the same exact settings are not always equal in color, I have some that look a little darker orange than others and some the purple is a little darker as well, but still looks too close to a pink to me.  These are 6 strands of Bullet Nodes {5v type} on 3 CCB100D Controllers.

So even if you use the exact same number on each strand for the same color, you can still end up with some minor, sometimes major color shift between these strands.    Would be nice if these could and would all stay uniform, but that's not the nature of these RGB lights.  So sometimes you have to re-tweak other strands to make them all look as uniform in color as possible.

• The topic was locked