Light-O-Rama Forums

Communication Issues with Reg Network?

toddm1919

I have three networks for my display Reg, Aux A, and Aux B.  Things have been running fine for a week. Then last night I come home to find that none of my lights on my Reg network are on.  I start troubleshooting and find that the display on on the first controller on that net work, an LOR1602W, reads no connection.  I run a new network cable. No change.  I replace the controller, with the new cable and things are back to normal.  I wake up this morning and he light are out again.  I little while later, they’re on again...then off...then on.  The timing seems intermittent.

Curious, I check my security cameras and come to find that starting at 5:45 last night(when my show starts), the intermittent on/off was happening all the time.  Our “fix” lasted about 2.5 hour last night before it started again. The “blinking” happened more regularly at first then the lights were off from 10:00 til 1:00 am (When I turn all lights off for the night.) Then this morning they were off for a while before the on/off started again, then went back to off.

Would it be possible that another network cable between controllers is causing this type of issue?

This could well be a flakey RJ45 jack on the board, causing an intermittent issue. Any movement in the cord could cause it.

The number one cause of this kind of issue is lack of adequate strain relief on the cable. The jacks are relatively delicate. There have been many good cat 5 cables sent to the trash because of this. 

All my controllers LOR  and others have an RJ 45 dongle to protect the jacks.

Your USB port may be doing a power save.

In  Windows Device Manager:  for the Hub you are plugged into: Properties: Power management (a tab): remove the power save tic. You may need to do this for each level, if you use a nest (Hub plugged into a port)

Thanks for the replies.  I have a Pixie4 that I use the waterproof dongles on.  When I had time to inspect things today, I noticed that one of the rubber washers was not seated right.  When I opened the connection, there was water inside.  The female connector inside was dirty and looked like it a had some corrosion on it. I removed the dongle for now and plugged the network connection directly into the board.  (The connection on the cable looked fine).  Been running the show for 4+ hours now with no issues so far.   Hopefully that was the issue.  

Note to self...make sure the waterproof connections are waterproof when you connect them. 🤪 A little more time setting up will save you 3 hours of troubleshooting later.

Live and learn.😀

• The topic was locked