Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence editor and vista issue

musicman130

While I am editing my sequence I occasionally will watch my sequence from the beginning and see if I like how it looks. I am having issues since getting my new laptop with the sequence editor. The new laptop has Vista on it (yuck). Occasionally, the music will stop, but the sequence will continue and you can watch the animation continue as the sequence continues. Then the sequence will stop and the music will come back on and once it catches up to where the sequence is, everything will be back in sink and it will continue like nothing happened.

I am using .wav files and LOR2 v. 2.0.16 currently. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and how to fix or is this something I just have to live with and that it will work just fine while a show goes on.

Thanks,

Rob

Are there any other programs running at the same time? Are any of them taking up a significant amount of CPU? You can check by going to the Windows Task Manager, selecting the "Processes" tab, and sorting by the CPU column, from highest to lowest.

For a while, I thought it was because I had a browser window open and that's why. Well, today, I didn't have anything open except for LOR, and that annoying thing on the side of vista that has the clock and weather, and it acted up again. It was playing fine and then the music stopped and the show continued and then the show stopped and the music kept playing until it caught up and then everything was in sync again. This does not happen very much, and I don't understand what else could be going on. I always have at least 70% system idle, so I would hope that is not a problem. Also I have 3 gig of memory, so obviously that should not be a problem and if it is, then there is a serious memory leak somewhere.

Thanks again,

Rob

It was playing fine and then the music stopped and the show continued and then the show stopped and the music kept playing until it caught up and then everything was in sync again.

LOR doesn't directly control the music - it just tells Windows Media Player "start playing this song". And LOR also doesn't keep track of the current time in the song - rather, it just asks WMP what time it is.

So if the lights were going, that means WMP was telling LOR that the song was still playing (i.e. WMP kept telling LOR that the current time in the song was progressing). But the music was off, which WMP also controls.

Similarly, after that, the music played, but WMP was not telling LOR that the current time in the song was progressing.

It sounds to me like a problem with your computer. Perhaps a software problem - I would suggest making sure your computer is completely up to date with Windows Update, and also that you're using the latest version of Windows Media Player, your hardware drivers, and so forth.

I checked and it is all up to date, which I have to say if it wasn't I would really wonder since I just bought this thing about a month ago. Most of the time it works just fine, it's just those rare times when it doesn't. I thought maybe it was the sequence and thankfully, it isn't as it happens on different sequences, but only occasionally. I guess I'll just use it and see what goes on and if it starts to act up, restart the computer and see if that works. I'll just blame vista because it seems like a good thing to blame!

musicman130 wrote:

For a while, I thought it was because I had a browser window open and that's why. Well, today, I didn't have anything open except for LOR, and that annoying thing on the side of vista that has the clock and weather, and it acted up again. It was playing fine and then the music stopped and the show continued and then the show stopped and the music kept playing until it caught up and then everything was in sync again. This does not happen very much, and I don't understand what else could be going on. I always have at least 70% system idle, so I would hope that is not a problem. Also I have 3 gig of memory, so obviously that should not be a problem and if it is, then there is a serious memory leak somewhere.

Thanks again,

Rob

That thing on the side is called the sidebar and the clock and weather "Gadgets" you have are continually going out on the net to update their displays. You can try right clicking on it and Close it to see if there is any difference.