Light-O-Rama Forums

Setup on a Tractor

tpavlak

Howdy all - we have a big Christmas tractor parade...200-300 tractors show up...all decked out with lights and what ever you can imagine for the season.

This year, we want to do something different and use a basic set up with 16 channel controller. I have 2 questions..

1 - Are there specific lights we should use instead of the old walmart strings....which will give more control?

2 - Speaking of control...how hard is it to build or sequence a show with the software? I'm an old computer guy so I dont think it'll be to hard but wanted to know. Do I build a show with a song after the lights are already hung? or hows that all work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom

Welcome aboard!  Sometimes I wish I only had one controller, but it's like chips, you can't eat just one!

Sounds like a fun project.  More detail is needed from you, but as Mr. P will say, keep it simple.

So you have one 16 channel controller.  Are you decorating one tractor?  How about power?  Is the controller stand alone and run with a card or will you need a computer/laptop to run it?

See what I mean?  LED lights are the lowest power draw and you can put together 9600 of them. 

I am sure you will be able to get a free sequence already done for 16 channels from many members on here.  Since your license is basic you can only run a few songs.

Let's see what others say...3, 2, 1 go

CMB24 and 12V Dumb RGB or simple 12V bulbs (I cut 10 bulb 120V strings up (each is 12V) or groups of 4 from 35 bulb strings) for all run from the vehicles electrical and are about as easy to sequence  as the AC (if you don't do fancy color changes)

As TheDucks mentioned, a CMB24D is the easiest way as it is a 12v system so it can run from the tractor batteries. Plus a CMB24D can store and run a sequence as a stand alone so you wouldn't need a computer or Director to run the show. Keeping it simple.

Edited by Mr. P

• 2 weeks later...

We plan on having a generator to plug the controller into...so power is not an issue...we'll also be pulling a trailer of some type with kids on it and MORE lights..I am going to get the starter kit...has controller, software and some cables.

So, I was thinking that for each channel...I could hook up 2 strands of lights, these lights would be located in different locations on the trailer//tractor.

So, do we have to have it all Mocked up...to test the lighting sequence to the music?

Do you have access to the S4 software visualizer?  That's where we setup and view our programmed sequences off season; without mock up. S5 is called preview, not visualizer.  I use S4.  Have you been playing with the basic software?  Have you tried sequencing a song or do you need already sequenced songs? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 12:36 PM, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

Do you have access to the S4 software visualizer?  That's where we setup and view our programmed sequences off season; without mock up. S5 is called preview, not visualizer.  I use S4.  Have you been playing with the basic software?  Have you tried sequencing a song or do you need already sequenced songs? 

I dont have a clue to what your talking about. I was hoping this was a straight forward deal...We get everything, plug it in...set up our lights then plug those in and then mock....meaning...I'd mock with the actual lights.

I have not tried any sequencing yet...

On 10/2/2019 at 1:52 PM, tpavlak said:

Howdy all - we have a big Christmas tractor parade...200-300 tractors show up...all decked out with lights and what ever you can imagine for the season.

This year, we want to do something different and use a basic set up with 16 channel controller. I have 2 questions..

1 - Are there specific lights we should use instead of the old walmart strings....which will give more control?

2 - Speaking of control...how hard is it to build or sequence a show with the software? I'm an old computer guy so I dont think it'll be to hard but wanted to know. Do I build a show with a song after the lights are already hung? or hows that all work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom

Actually from my experience while helping others on the phone, facetime etc. the "old computer guys" are the most difficult to understand sequencing and setting up the controllers.

If you get a smart RGB controller like the pixie16 pre assembled and your tractor is 12v you should be able to power it right from that. I am decorating my golf cart 12V gasoline and tested a pixie 4,8 and 16 with 12v nodes and all is well.

You will also need something to send the data to the controller. A mini director works fine as well as FM transmitter if you want sound. Unless you have a laptop and loud speakers.

An AC controller (led mini lights) you would need a generator and the type has been discussed and I don't recall the type.

I helped another member with a military 5 ton truck sequences and a guy with a nice boat display. Maybe they will read and chime in.

There are a lot of sequences shared for free to lessen some of the worry.

Best of luck.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Actually from my experience while helping others on the phone, facetime etc. the "old computer guys" are the most difficult to understand sequencing and setting up the controllers.

If you get a smart RGB controller like the pixie16 pre assembled and your tractor is 12v you should be able to power it right from that. I am decorating my golf cart 12V gasoline and tested a pixie 4,8 and 16 with 12v nodes and all is well.

You will also need something to send the data to the controller. A mini director works fine as well as FM transmitter if you want sound. Unless you have a laptop and loud speakers.

An AC controller (led mini lights) you would need a generator and the type has been discussed and I don't recall the type.

I helped another member with a military 5 ton truck sequences and a guy with a nice boat display. Maybe they will read and chime in.

There are a lot of sequences shared for free to lessen some of the worry.

Best of luck.

JR

So, am I ok then with the starter package I got? 16 ch, cables and software...seems like it was all i needed...besides sequencing....Now, you can teach an old dog new tricks...so I'd hope this old computer guy wiil be able to adjust lol

The starter package is AC controller, you would need that generator. If I recall DevMike was involved in the generator conversation.

I can’t recall but one of the packages comes with the mini director (uses an SD card to run the show) and fm transmitter.

You would not have control of color options.

The only color options would be which color you buy from Walmart or wherever and plug them in to the channels.

I know this next statement will be debatable but start out with S4 and after the holidays move to S5 if you feel the need.

More free sequences as well as forum help with S4.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I would  Go with Dumb RGB (CMB24 controller)  and 12V Bullets (just not strips, they are fragile), Bullets will mount near the same as those Walmart LEDS and you get to set each output to any of 256 colors.

The CMB24 connects direct to the 12V battery. No Inverter, No Generator.

BTW with the CMB24, you have 8 outputs, each output can drive ~ 100 bullets or 2 10W LOR floods