Light-O-Rama Forums

help

Guest guest

OK i tried running my music sequence and it wont run, but if i run test mode it will do all that, i just cant get my seqence to run, what have i dont wrong or am i not doing?:happytree:

Josh,

The biggest mistake I've seen people make is forgetting to do the channel configuration in the LOR software when they create their first sequence. That's the fist thing I'd check. I'll keep watching this thread tonight so let me know...

Scott Hardin (Fellow Hoosier)
Columbus, IN

Josua,

If you have a music sequence completed and you can hear the music then there are a couple of things we should check.

When you run the hardware utility you can make the lights function - right?

If that's the case then double check to make sure you have the right controller number in your channel config inside the sequnce.

Also make sure you shut down all light o rama software except the sequence editor. It's possible that the hardware utility or control panel may have the com port locked open and be preventing you from running your sequence.

Scott

ok, did all that still nothing working, when you go to play a show in sequence editor should it control the lights? and i should mention that i only have 1 channel hooked up to the controller, does that effect it at all?

Joshua,

Just having the one channel connected won't be a problem (as long as you have that channel programmed to do something of course). One more thing to check for me. In the sequence editor click on the "Play" menu and make sure "control lights" is checked.

Scott

Nothing displayed in the grid would tell me that you don't actually have a sequnce made yet. Do me a favor. Someplace close to the start of the song click on one of the "grids" in the first channel and press the "n" key. The square should fill in with whatever color you've told the software the lights are (it's blue by default). This will tell the software that you want the channel to be "on" for the duration of that square. Skip one square to the right and then do the same thing on the next one. When you press play you should see the channel (lights) blink twice. If it does, there's your problem. You've got the timing laid out but haven't told the software what it should do with the lights.

Scott

Right. Glad you got it working. Play with those button just below the tool bar that are squares with different patterns in them. They all do something different. If you hold your mouse over them for a second without clicking a little box will appear and give you a quick description of what they do.

Have fun and don't stay up all night. Once you get going it can be addictive.:]

Scott Hardin
Columbus, IN

thank you for all your help, very addictive and very hard, i guess im gonna have to sit down and write down the timing on the songs to know where to start and stop stuff,well its 1:30 am i think i better go to bed.

once again thank you for your help..:happytree::tree:

Josh:

Write down the timing of the songs????? Use the tap function to do this. Tap out the music which will then mark the beat areas, you then come back and fill in the boxes with the effect.

OHH, thats what it;s for! so i just tap it out and fill it in, now is there a way to change the grid to bigger increments? sorry im very new at this and not quite sure how to use the program..:happytree:

Here is the way I do a song. Others do it their own way...

When I create a new Musical Sequence I do not use the tapper... I tell it to put a event every 1/50 of a second.

With that done I have a grid with an event every 1/50th of a second( On some songs I go with 1/20 of a second which is usually good enough)... Also when I create the sequence I create a couple of extra channels that will not be used for controllers. I use those channels to save beat marks. I name those channels something like Dummy1 and Dummy2....

Then I go to tools and run the tapper wizard. I just tap out the beat, I do not try to do anything with the melody. When done I save those "taps" as an "briefly on" event of about 1/10 second long. I save those in one of the dummy channels. I then run the tapper wizard a second time and save those taps in a second dummy channel. They will not be the same because I am human. I then go back and play the song screen by screen and watch the taps and line them up with the actual music. Some will be close enough and some will have to move. I move them by using the toggle tool. If I need to move it ahead a little I click on a few of the event in front if it to turn them on and click on the back of it to turn it off... That move the light flash ahead. This usually takes me about an hour for a 3 minute song. I never tap really fast I find it better to tap a little slowly...

Now when I am done I have the basic beat. Also the grid has a constant space between every event so there isn't an issue with cut and paste of things. If I have a section where something is happening in time with the music I can just cut and paste it to another place and it will be in time with the music (assuming that timing doesn't change)....

There are a number of other ways to do it. Some folks just set the grid to 1/10 second and turn things on manually. Even with a 1/10 second grid you can get things to look well in time with the music.

There will be enhancements next year to make this easier but a number of people have made some very nice sequences with the tools at hand today.

Dan,

Thank you so much, that makes alot of sense! i'll be playing with this all weekend long! Do you have any idea whene LOR II will be available and how much the upgrade will cost? also, whene i use the tap wizard can i set that to more than one channel and have other channels doing other things?.. Gosh this stuff is so much fun!!

thank you again