Light-O-Rama Forums

Recording Show

Dave76

What is everyone using for making good quality recordings of their shows?  Any free softwares out that that allow the music to be added after the recording?  All I have is crappy audio quality from IPhone. 

Thanks!

Hi Dave,

I use a drone to record the video part. Last year I paid someone to do the editing and adding audio but I took the classes at this years Christmas Expo about drone video and editing. The instructor recommended Adobe Premier Pro for adding the audio and other editing. He also recommended shooting at least two views/angles and then editing to switch back and forth every so often so your viewer doesn't get bored with watching one view. He mentioned about the average persons attention span being a few seconds. So changing viewing angles keeps the viewer interested in your video and show.

Personal tip, since the video won't have audio make sure to note either digitally or on paper which files are for what song. :D

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Al

52 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

Hi Dave,

I use a drone to record the video part. Last year I paid someone to do the editing and adding audio but I took the classes at this years Christmas Expo about drone video and editing. The instructor recommended Adobe Premier Pro for adding the audio and other editing. He also recommended shooting at least two views/angles and then editing to switch back and forth every so often so your viewer doesn't get bored with watching one view. He mentioned about the average persons attention span being a few seconds. So changing viewing angles keeps the viewer interested in your video and show.

Personal tip, since the video won't have audio make sure to note either digitally or on paper which files are for what song. :D

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Al

Thanks Al!  Yeah I like the sea of different angles.  I’ll have to look into cost. I doubt Adobe Premier Pro is cheap. Typically it’s subscription based now. Was hoping for a freeware or a cheaper option like purchase to own 

1 hour ago, Dave76 said:

Thanks Al!  Yeah I like the sea of different angles.  I’ll have to look into cost. I doubt Adobe Premier Pro is cheap. Typically it’s subscription based now. Was hoping for a freeware or a cheaper option like purchase to own 

I have a drone DJI Phantom 4+ owner record my shows and I found it easier with the quality of the new iphones to simply use the iPhone videos and record as close to my handheld speaker. For me the Adobe Pro is a lot of valuable time and headache with as many songs I have in my seasons.

With the technology you would think someone would make a wireless audio recording device but the rotors would probably be a problem. He had  the whisper rotors and you can still hear them

JR

1 hour ago, Al Saunders said:

He also recommended shooting at least two views/angles and then editing to switch back and forth every so often so your viewer doesn't get bored with watching one view. He mentioned about the average persons attention span being a few seconds. So changing viewing angles keeps the viewer interested in your video and show.

+ about 1000

Take a look at this video (from 2014).  This was shot from 4 angles with two different cameras.  Then a friend of mine edited it together.  I don't know what software was used other than it was on a mac.  One of the cameras was a Go-Pro, and the other was a Canon DSLR.

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

+ about 1000

Take a look at this video (from 2014).  This was shot from 4 angles with two different cameras.  Then a friend of mine edited it together.  I don't know what software was used other than it was on a mac.  One of the cameras was a Go-Pro, and the other was a Canon DSLR.

Wow yes that looks great. Side track a moment, what software are you using to get those effects on your tree? There’s so much control I’m curious what the looks like! 👍

11 hours ago, Dave76 said:

What is everyone using for making good quality recordings of their shows?  Any free softwares out that that allow the music to be added after the recording?  All I have is crappy audio quality from IPhone. 

Thanks!

My eldest son videos & edits for me. He said he used a Canon F/2.8 16-35 usm ii camera to video. I give him Audacity audio files and he uses Final Cut Pro to lay it into the video.

(I truly have no idea what I just said - but doesn't he do a fine job!  😎)

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

My eldest son videos & edits for me. He said he used a Canon F/2.8 16-35 usm ii camera to video. I give him Audacity audio files and he uses Final Cut Pro to lay it into the video.

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Ha ha. Lucky.  

Final cut runs only on Mac it looks like. Bummer. Thanks for sharing 

• Thanks 1

Another option is a number of online video editing programs. I've always used Adobe Premiere, but got tired of waiting for rendering to happen. Just to try it, I subscribed to a service called wevideo.com. It's basically a dumbed down version of Premiere, but they take care of the rendering, and it's great for banging out quick videos that don't require lot's of complicated transitions. I think I spend $30 for the year to output 30 minutes of video. That may be an option to get your video editing done as well.

9 hours ago, Oliver Blatt said:

Another option is a number of online video editing programs. I've always used Adobe Premiere, but got tired of waiting for rendering to happen. Just to try it, I subscribed to a service called wevideo.com. It's basically a dumbed down version of Premiere, but they take care of the rendering, and it's great for banging out quick videos that don't require lot's of complicated transitions. I think I spend $30 for the year to output 30 minutes of video. That may be an option to get your video editing done as well.

Thanks!  I will be checking this one out!!!

14 hours ago, Dave76 said:

Wow yes that looks great. Side track a moment, what software are you using to get those effects on your tree? There’s so much control I’m curious what the looks like! 👍

Thank you Dave.  Everything was sequenced using SuperStar.  The pixel tree portion was purchased from Brian Bruderer (the guy that writes SuperStar).

http://superstarlights.com/Sequences/Purchase.php

Edited by k6ccc

I downloaded and tried out a few this year to upload some of my videos. Of course I only recorded them on a single Sony 1080p consumer video camera, but the software worked great for editing in the original audio and lining it up so you don't get a lot of background noise which the simple mic picked up like crazy (plus it was a windy night when I recorded).

The one I finally settled on was free to try for personal use, but $30 for home use after a trial. If I had multiple video streams I could have easily added them together. Here is the link if you want to take a look:

NCH VideoPad Video Editor

I use a Sony Camcorder for my videos. For audio I have an old battery power am/ fm radio that I tie wrap to my tripod and tune to my radio station. I then take the audio out of the radio and go thru a Y cable. I then plug one end into my camcorder mic in and the other end I hook up to my headphones. I then do sample recordings to get the audio level I want going into the camcorder.  I then create a new play list of the songs I want to record. I then  set up a sound file that I put in between all of the songs in my play list. Right now I don't remember for sure how I did it, but I have about a minute in between each song. Then just before each song plays I get my audio file played and that queues me to start the camcorder recording. After that song is over, I can stay in the same location and keep recording that angle or I have about a minute to get to another location for a different angle. I actually have found mistakes in my programming during video recording because I wear the headphones thru the entire recording session and besides that it keeps my ears warm.

I then import all of the videos I have taken of 1 song into Adobe premier and put them all into the time line. I use 1 track as my master, then I start playing 2 tracks at a time until I get the audio synced between the 2 tracks, I then turn off the audio for track 2 and then do track 3 and so on till i get all of the tracks I have done, once I have all of the tracks synced up I then delete all of the audio tracks other than the master track. I then start Hacking away to show different views. I then add all of my transitions to my different angle views. Then I export it out in what ever format I want.

Here is a link to my video page. The first video ( the house on Christmas street)  has a lot of transitions in it and different angles. http://www.buscochristmas.com/Videos.html

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

I hired someone in the past to take drone footage of the display (wasn't cheap).    I decided to just buy a drone as part of my blinky budget for the year.  I used  DJI Phantom 4 and Corel Video Studio, not that I did much editing of the drone footage. I will do a little bit better job this year hopefully with multiple views etc.  4k video is a plus

12 hours ago, Wayne K said:

I use a Sony Camcorder for my videos. For audio I have an old battery power am/ fm radio that I tie wrap to my tripod and tune to my radio station. I then take the audio out of the radio and go thru a Y cable. I then plug one end into my camcorder mic in and the other end I hook up to my headphones. I then do sample recordings to get the audio level I want going into the camcorder.  I then create a new play list of the songs I want to record. I then  set up a sound file that I put in between all of the songs in my play list. Right now I don't remember for sure how I did it, but I have about a minute in between each song. Then just before each song plays I get my audio file played and that queues me to start the camcorder recording. After that song is over, I can stay in the same location and keep recording that angle or I have about a minute to get to another location for a different angle. I actually have found mistakes in my programming during video recording because I wear the headphones thru the entire recording session and besides that it keeps my ears warm.

I then import all of the videos I have taken of 1 song into Adobe premier and put them all into the time line. I use 1 track as my master, then I start playing 2 tracks at a time until I get the audio synced between the 2 tracks, I then turn off the audio for track 2 and then do track 3 and so on till i get all of the tracks I have done, once I have all of the tracks synced up I then delete all of the audio tracks other than the master track. I then start Hacking away to show different views. I then add all of my transitions to my different angle views. Then I export it out in what ever format I want.

Here is a link to my video page. The first video ( the house on Christmas street)  has a lot of transitions in it and different angles. http://www.buscochristmas.com/Videos.html

Wayne

Wow thanks Wayne! Will

be checking this out!

On 9/26/2019 at 6:17 AM, Dave76 said:

All I have is crappy audio quality from IPhone. 

Thanks!

I also use my iPhone to record.  It does Okay, but not as well as some videos I have seen.  A trick I learned was to make sure to lock the focus/exposure.   For sound, since you have the original recording in digital form, it is relatively easy to overlay it.  I say relatively easy because you have to line it up with what you recorded.  The start isn't always the best place, I like to find a very obvious transition point and make sure it matches, then before and after will line up too.   

7 hours ago, Dave76 said:

Fantastic recording. I’ll take a look at the Corel software. Do you really like it and is it user friendly?

From what I recall it was pretty user friendly.  I didn't get into it too much.  Its been 9 months since I've touched it.  Pretty sure you can download a free trial and give it a try

• 2 weeks later...

A good cheaper alternative to Premiere Pro is Adobe Premiere Elements.  The cost is $99, and you can get a nice product.  Not as robust as Pro, but user friendly and easy to learn.

10 hours ago, cytruden said:

A good cheaper alternative to Premiere Pro is Adobe Premiere Elements.  The cost is $99, and you can get a nice product.  Not as robust as Pro, but user friendly and easy to learn.

Awesome thanks.  Will look into it.  I don't need anything super special.  I hope the $99 is to own and not a subscription.