Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling individual bulbs on a string

cichieloji

New user pixcon16 - S5pro - Can one set up a port that would give the ability to sequence each individual bulb (node) separately..... If your a Stranger Things fan; I’m trying to replicate the alphabet wall and light individual bulbs in a certain order instead of the entire string of 50.

I don't use S5 or a pixcon 16, but I'd think as long as you're using smart pixels, that should be possible.  Not sure if dumb strings are capable of individual control as I've not used that type.  I know they can be controlled as one color at a time on the entire strand, just not sure if they're dumb, if each node, as a single color node can be done individually.

Edited by Orville

33 minutes ago, Orville said:

I don't use S5 or a pixcon 16, but I'd think as long as you're using smart pixels, that should be possible.  Not sure if dumb strings are capable of individual control as I've not used that type.  I know they can be controlled as one color at a time on the entire strand, just not sure if they're dumb, if each node, as a single color node can be done individually.

There is no decode logic in a dumb string. Just RGB lines with resistors at the LED to balance the light output of the colors.

No In or Out end. The wires/traces go straight thru

A Pixie /Pixcon can't run Dumb strings. No RGB Outs (really an sink to -)

Not seen the show but if I am understanding correctly from a google search, you want to illuminate each letter of the alphabet with one pixel, in varying colors.. Quite possible, and fairly simple to do. Without too much work you would be able to spell words one letter at a time like a ouija board

If, however, you are wanting to actually form letters with pixels you will need many more than 50 pixels for that, but it is possible.

Yes, I will play the audio from the scene in the background and spell the words out (like a ouija board). I'm painting letters on the wall. Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction using the sequencer where to start that set up. 

You will need to have your Pixcon correctly attached to your PC and working if you want to see the results in your lights. There are plenty of posts about properly setting one up. I don't use one, myself.  

You will need to add a string of 26 pixels to your preview in S5. When you create a new musical sequence with your audio as background and assign your new preview,  you will be able to see 26 rows corresponding to each pixel.

Change the label at the left side of the sequencer window, to correspond with your letters, to make life easier.

Apply any color you want to each channel in turn to highlight the desired letter at the proper time in the "song". Use the colour fade tool to select your colours.

This is a simple prop but you should learn a lot of basics while creating it.