Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16, Rays WS2811's and RGB settings

stevej_1

Hi all,

First time post, I have very little knowledge on pixels, last years display was all dumb RGB. I am now trying to get some pixels up and running. I have a few issues but the main one right now I would appreciate some help on is that I can not change the RGB setting to match the WS2811's (ray wu's). Currently Red is Green, Green is Red and Blue is Ok.

Followed a tutorial on how to configure the Pixie16 and test some lights however, whenever I change the RGB configuration from the drop down selection it will not save? and colours remain the same during test. I also have not been able to have the Pixie16 do a test run of my sequence. At this stage I would just like to get the correct RGB set up. I have assumed the WS2811's are 800mhz.

I have also noticed the hardware utility will not allow me to apply the twinkle or chase effects after 50 pixels.

The Pixie16 will be running 14 strings between 24 to 73 nodes on each string using Ray Wu's' WS2811's. The prop is MRERRY CHRISTMAS in Chroma Words from BOSCOYO.

Using latest firmware in Pixie16

Using S5 Pro

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Cheers,

Steve

11 hours ago, stevej_1 said:

Hi all,

First time post, I have very little knowledge on pixels, last years display was all dumb RGB. I am now trying to get some pixels up and running. I have a few issues but the main one right now I would appreciate some help on is that I can not change the RGB setting to match the WS2811's (ray wu's). Currently Red is Green, Green is Red and Blue is Ok.

Followed a tutorial on how to configure the Pixie16 and test some lights however, whenever I change the RGB configuration from the drop down selection it will not save? and colours remain the same during test. I also have not been able to have the Pixie16 do a test run of my sequence. At this stage I would just like to get the correct RGB set up. I have assumed the WS2811's are 800mhz.

I have also noticed the hardware utility will not allow me to apply the twinkle or chase effects after 50 pixels.

The Pixie16 will be running 14 strings between 24 to 73 nodes on each string using Ray Wu's' WS2811's. The prop is MRERRY CHRISTMAS in Chroma Words from BOSCOYO.

Using latest firmware in Pixie16

Using S5 Pro

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Cheers,

Steve

Please read my thread with video under the General Hardware section of the forum, its stickied at the top of the section. I discuss how to set up the pixie with S4 but I have assisted members using S5 and it also works there. Just a little different due to S5.

If you have additional questions please feel free to message me a good cell # and a preferred time to call (daily in case I am busy). I will text first to ensure you are available. 

If its only the color that you need help with, go to the Hardware Utility with only the pixie16 connected. After it finds the pixie16 drop down to the pixie config tab and the next screen will be a color order. You may have to test in HU back at the HU test screen.

There may be a factory jumper across two pins, I cant remember the pinout. The manual will show you the pin #. That may be your problem if the pixie is not accepting changes.

Ensure you have the correct watt PSU and pixels. 12v to 12v, 5v to 5v for whatever voltage your controller is . The pixie comes in either 5 or 12 volts.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks JR.

I followed the tutorial previously. It was a well written, easy to follow process btw so thankyou!

When I update the RGB to GRB that step looks OK as I receive - "Device has received option settings".

When I test it is still RGB, If I return to the drop down RGB is back as the default.

When I repat the above and click Update Unit I get - "Unit did not respond to the Option Settings, Retry Command"

This issue looks very familiar to this post however, I have 2 x new pixie16's and they are both behaving the same way, so chances it is a hardware fault in both is low but not impossible. I am also using Ray Wu lights.

I think you are right that it may be a jumper setting. The manual reads;

Jumper (JP5). These jumpers are used to force a configuration for the RGB IC, color order and pixels/string. If your board has a jumper, you can transfer the settings of this jumper into the configuration EEPROM by changing any parameter on the configuration page or by changing the unit ID. Once you have done this you can remove the jumper and the Hardware Utility will be able to change any parameter.

pixie 16 J5 jumper

The units arrived without a jumper installed. Is the highlighted the correct orientation on C47?

The manual explanation on J5 doesn't make perfect sense to me but I am thinking that putting the jumper pin in, connecting to the HU and trying again might help? I was able to change the unit ID by setting the dip switch to 0 and use the HU without a jumper pin but maybe I this is worth a try?

Thanks again

Steve

• Yes, put the extra jumper from the bag on to JP5. Go in and try to set the color order and see what happens. You should then be able to remove the jumper.
  • I will check back in the AM to see how it worked, if you got this in time to try it
  • JR
Edited by dibblejr

Hi JR,

Same result unfortunately.

I was thinking hardware faults and just realized this is the first time I have used this laptop with the USB485B. It's possible windows 10 has picked and installed a random driver. I am going to reinstall the driver from FTDI and let you know if works.

Cheers,

Steve

4 hours ago, stevej_1 said:

Hi JR,

Same result unfortunately.

I was thinking hardware faults and just realized this is the first time I have used this laptop with the USB485B. It's possible windows 10 has picked and installed a random driver. I am going to reinstall the driver from FTDI and let you know if works.

Cheers,

Steve

Is there a reason you are using a USB485B and not the RS485HS (Red adapter)?

The USB485 would only be used if you are wireless otherwise LOR recommends the RS485HS adapter.

You didn't mention that in your original post.

JR 

Hi JR,

Sorry for the slow reply.

OK so after re-installing the USB485B driver and re-testing I now have the correct RGB when performing a test from the HU. I am assuming the fact I can not test shimmer and twinkle above 50 pixels is due to constraints of the Pixie16, but this specific RGB issue now looks OK.

I am using the USB485B only to set up/configure the hardware on the laptop, not to run the show. I am hopeful my G3-MP3 can handle this? The problem now is that I have not been able to get either of the Pixie16's to work running a basic test show. I am checking and re-checking how I have set up these channels, I'm sure there is something I have done wrong/missing but can not see any issues at the moment. Even making a new preview and new sequence for just the Pixies is not working when I run the show from the G3.

To give an accurate picture of the hardware arrangement;

Last year I ran 3 x CMB 24D's and 2 x CTB16's on a Gen3 Mini Director. All dumb strip and some 240v lights. This didn't have any problems.

I am now trying to implement an additional 2 x Pixie16's and run the whole show (including above equipment) from a new G3-MP3 Director.

I have brought across sequences from S4 to S5, they look to be OK.

Cheers,

Steve

Part of the the problem is you are using a USB485B which is a slow speed adapter. You have added two Pixie 16 controllers which require a 500k network so you need a high speed adapter. Check out the network speeds and what each piece of equipment require on the LOR speed page:

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

Edited by Mr. P

Thanks Mr P.

I am learning as I go. Appreciate the link.

I am intending to use the G3-MP3 Director to run 3 x CMB's, 2 x Pixies and 2 x CTB's. 

If the USB485B may be problematic for connecting to and configuring the Pixies I will order the 485HS as soon as possible. It's just a bit cost restrictive when shipping to Australia for one component.

12 minutes ago, stevej_1 said:

Thanks Mr P.

I am learning as I go. Appreciate the link.

I am intending to use the G3-MP3 Director to run 3 x CMB's, 2 x Pixies and 2 x CTB's. 

If the USB485B may be problematic for connecting to and configuring the Pixies I will order the 485HS as soon as possible. It's just a bit cost restrictive when shipping to Australia for one component.

Totally understandable about shipping costs but if you are going to get into pixels then you will need a high speed adapter so you may as well order a couple and only pay the shipping once.

As Mr. P stated you need high speed adapters for your pixies. No way around it.

The other problem you may face will be lag. If you max out the pixies or the number of lights per network you will have major lag problems and or no lights at all somewhere down the line.

i believe the magic number is 2500 per network. The G3 MP3 only has 2 networks.   

Min order to get more that 50 rgb lights to light with the pixies you have to set it up in HU in the pixie config tab.

Also if S5 doesn’t give you the correct # of pixels option you need to set it up as a pixcon16 in S5. I don’t use S5 so cant help you there.

JR

Since you are starting into pixels you will soon max out the G3MP3 capabilities. So if you are planning on expanding in the future you should start looking for a cheapo computer to run your shows. The directors are great for smaller shows but pixels start eating up channel counts very quickly.

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Totally understandable about shipping costs but if you are going to get into pixels then you will need a high speed adapter so you may as well order a couple and only pay the shipping once.

Outstanding advice. And maybe LOR shipping could be talked into creating a 2 pack (only 1 PRODUCT  box), as the packaging is the predominant weight. . Have them Toss the CD and you just download the driver.

OMG, I just checked the USPS rate to ship down under: US$36 for a: Priority Mail International® Small Flat Rate Box (Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8") Maximum weight 4 pounds.  (I used to ship books down there in the 90's for $14)

LOR needs a smart S&R person that can maximize what they can stuff into the box (no extra cardboard. Nothing that can be downloaded and printed locally. REDUCE Weight and Volume) and still protect the fragile stuff.

Thanks again JR, Mr P and The Ducks for the advice/help in this thread.

I now have a few pixels running properly after a few tests and have a slightly better understanding of the basics.

For any newbies like myself, my two main mistakes were; 

Not realising in S5 the RGB dropdown tab in HU config will default back to "RGB" after exiting, running a test and going back into the config. It isn't actually changing the settings back to RGB. Clicking advanced will show the actual saved settings for all channels. I was selecting all of the other options when all I needed to do was select RGB! I had assumed I had already tested it in RGB.

Finally I was not setting the network correctly in the G3-MP3 by selecting basic instead of advanced when creating the SD card. Updated the firmware, created the show with the correct network setting and now she is working!

Kicking myself I didn't buy the G4 instead of the G3.. although not sure it was even out 6 months ago? 

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...