Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 questions channel layout

scottty2hotty

so i upgraded to S5 and im working on a few new sequences but you can not import your channel configuration. on the preview i get my channels from last year to come in but they are listed in Alphabetical order and not based on unit number. so now my mega tree is screwed up and other items because they go

mega tree1

mega tree10

mega tree 11

etc so when creating a new sequence or modifying its a PITA

how do you get the channel layout to the way S4 did it or at least not alphabetical

i tried reorganizing the list and preview and the saved. even exported the grid config but when i creat a new and import it does not change.

Almost ready to go back to S4

• 4 weeks later...

What happened to the channel configuration in S4? I upgraded to S5 and it's gone. Is it now part of the preview? 

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Way too late in the year to be switching to S5 now, the learning curve is too great.

I am sequencing in S-4, which I have been using for quite some time. If I can learn S-5 in time, will transfer. If not, will have all my S-4 sequences ready.

If you do convert, make sure your Visualizer and sequence config are correct and match exactly. It will make the upgrade a little smoother. Remember, once you convert your sequences to S5, they can't be converted back, so keep your backups of S4

If you open the Preview Design and click on the Channel Conflicts and Bulk Changes tab, there is an option to Add Leading Zero to Numbered Prop Names. You can automatically change the trree1 to tree01. This bulk change will also change tree2 to tree02 and so on through  tree9/tree09. This will order them correctly. 

6 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

If you do convert, make sure your Visualizer and sequence config are correct and match exactly. It will make the upgrade a little smoother. Remember, once you convert your sequences to S5, they can't be converted back, so keep your backups of S4

Thanks. Good info. 

I have always backed up. Usually in several places 🙂

17 minutes ago, tlogan said:

If you open the Preview Design and click on the Channel Conflicts and Bulk Changes tab, there is an option to Add Leading Zero to Numbered Prop Names. You can automatically change the trree1 to tree01. This bulk change will also change tree2 to tree02 and so on through  tree9/tree09. This will order them correctly. 

Good info, thanks!

Speaking of backing up, I import my S4 sequences and then Save As a name with a new extension like "-2019" added to the end of the name. This leaves a copy of the S4 sequences in place and is easy to go back and start over from the import if things get really messed up. I'm just speaking from experience here. But I DO have the S4 backed up elsewhere, too. 

Remember in S5, there are XML files in /commondata that need to be backed up. In particular, Preview.

• Like 2

Against all better judgement and advice from others, I switched from S4 to S5 between Halloween and Christmas shows last year.  It really had me stressed out for a while.  But once I figured out the preview and how you define props I feel it is way better than S4.  I literally just converted all my S4 Halloween sequences to S5 5.3.8; lots of repetitive editing actions in each sequence in part to better align with new props, but the show is up and running.  What also compounded my problem last year was that I was adding some pixel arches for the first time, which led me down different networks, network speeds, hardware version problems, and faulty network cables, all which had nothing to do with upgrading to S5.  You can see my post on all that elsewhere out here in the forums.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:57 AM, PhilMassey said:

Phil- based on this statement does that mean adding props/ controllers on the fly is gone with S5?

I add something spur of the moment every year , even before my LOR forum days.

So you have to make a preview.

Can you add to the preview like vis or do you have to build everything over again?

JR

Its a heck of a learning curve. I went from S2 to S5. Started using superstar and added in RGB arches and mini trees. Plugged it all in the other day and found out my first LOR controller that I bought in 2007 will not support the motion rows in all of my sequences. 

Greatly appreciate the folks around here that have helped me figure this stuff out!

14 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Phil- based on this statement does that mean adding props/ controllers on the fly is gone with S5?

I add something spur of the moment every year , even before my LOR forum days.

So you have to make a preview.

Can you add to the preview like vis or do you have to build everything over again?

JR

You can add to it.

I made one with all of the pops and groups that I knew I wanted, then made a copy of it and added in the new stuff I thought I wanted to add. 

2 hours ago, vipzach said:

You can add to it.

I made one with all of the pops and groups that I knew I wanted, then made a copy of it and added in the new stuff I thought I wanted to add. 

Not like I plan on ever moving to S5 was just curious.

For me my entire show runs on S4 with minor aches and pains now and then so if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I love the visualizer for what I use it for.

JR

Think of the Preview as the Visualizer and Channel Config rolled into one, JR.

One advantage is that when you change your config in th Preview, it updates all your sequences automatically, when you open them.

One downside, you can no longer play a show and view it in Preview, like you can in Visualizer. I do miss that.

13 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

One downside, you can no longer play a show and view it in Preview, like you can in Visualizer. I do miss that.

Phil, what do you mean by this?  I watch my show in Preview all the time to verify my effects are what I want them to be.

You used to be able to watch a SHOW. When you played a show on demand or scheduled show, it would play in Vis. Now you can only play the Sequencer, one at a time. 

One can no longer preview an entire show OR monitor a running show remotely.