Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting Up a Matrix

scodavis

I am using Pixel Editor to set up an 83x18 matrix (I am revamping my existing "Tune-In" sign to bullet pixels).  I am trying to figure out what's going wrong with my prop setup.  I am using LOR version 4.3.34 and, at this time, I have no plans to upgrade to S5.

Capture2.jpg shows my current prop setup.  I haven't had the chance to type in the numbers for every single pixel yet - 1,494 is a lot of numbers to type in.

Capture1.jpg shows what I see on the pixel programming screen, instead of just one line for the prop itself.  Please note that I see this even if I change the prop to a width of 6 (which I have already typed the numbers in for).

I would welcome some suggestions into what I am doing wrong.  I am completely new to Pixel Editor but I followed the Pixel Editor Intro Video instructions when I created this prop.

Thank you!

capture1.jpg

capture2.jpg

Edited by scodavis
Added version information

I never did much with PE in S4, but I am running multiple matrices in S5, and it looks like you are making it far harder than you need to.  Let me fire up a computer with S4 and verify that you can do in S45 what I am doing in S5.

19 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I never did much with PE in S4, but I am running multiple matrices in S5, and it looks like you are making it far harder than you need to.  Let me fire up a computer with S4 and verify that you can do in S45 what I am doing in S5.

Thank you!

Using version 4.4.4 for the test, I was able to add a prop for a vertical matrix that has 83 strings of 18 pixels each.  I did it as a vertical matrix because looking at your screen capture, it appears that you are laying it out with the strings running vertically.  You DO  NOT need to use the "Custom" for that you were using.  If this does not make sends, PM me your phone number and I'll call you and walk you through it.  It was easy.

12 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Using version 4.4.4 for the test, I was able to add a prop for a vertical matrix that has 83 strings of 18 pixels each.  I did it as a vertical matrix because looking at your screen capture, it appears that you are laying it out with the strings running vertically.  You DO  NOT need to use the "Custom" for that you were using.  If this does not make sends, PM me your phone number and I'll call you and walk you through it.  It was easy.

Really appreciate you taking the time.  Any chance you can post a screen snip of the prop setup dialog so I can see what you did?

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Does this help?

I can see what you were able to do and I am able to replicate it, however, I foresee two problems:

(1) It still shows the "no matching channel" thing down below instead of showing the prop name.

(2) With that way that is laid out, it appears that channel number 1 is at the top of every single column.  The problem is, it won't be like that - column 1 will be laid out top to bottom, then column 2 will be laid out bottom to top, etc.  I'm only going to be using 15 strings of 100 bulbs (an 18 x 83 pixel grid is 1,494 lights), so I will be using all 100 in each string, doing a zigzag pattern, then doing the next string, etc.

I even tried upgrading to 4.4.4 which is the latest version - no change.

-Scott

Can't help on the no matching channel thing.  As for the layout, check out zig zag.  However, not sure if that will work right without each string being an even number of wired strings.  In other words, (for example) 100 count string broken up into five segments.

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Can't help on the no matching channel thing.  As for the layout, check out zig zag.  However, not sure if that will work right without each string being an even number of wired strings.  In other words, (for example) 100 count string broken up into five segments.

Yeah, that's why I was using the custom setting.  I'll probably just put in a ticket with LOR support.

7 minutes ago, scodavis said:

Yeah, that's why I was using the custom setting.  I'll probably just put in a ticket with LOR support.

What pixel controller are you using and can it start a string at something other than channel 1?

18 hours ago, scodavis said:

Right now I am basically prepping and experimenting; I haven't actually purchased anything yet.  My plan is to purchase and use one of these:

http://store.lightorama.com/12v16bupipaw3.html

If you are having a difficult time with software wait until you add a pixcon16.

Id suggest the much simpler pixie16 until you get your feet wet. Much easier to use and configure. If you ever feel the need to upgrade you can always add the pixcon to your arenol. I have only pixies and run only LOR networks.

JR

@scodavis, I did a custom matrix much like you did.  I've shared a screenshot below. Here's a few things I noticed you might change:

• You are making 1 prop. It should show up as a 1 or 2 line prop in your sequencing timeline; you're showing multiple lines with an error message. I'd suggest you scrap that and start over from scratch; something is clearly wrong there.
  • Please, please, please do not type in 1,494 numbers, you should be using a spreadsheet for this.  For a custom matrix, you should do all your "organizing" in excel or Google Sheets, and you can copy over your matrix numbers from Excel to LOR. That's what the copy/paste buttons are for!  With a spreadsheet program, you can type the first few numbers, select them, and drag...and excel will fill in all the numbers. This should take you seconds, not hours.
  • To create custom strings, you need to modify your numbering system.  A "hidden" feature of the custom layout window is that you can create a new "string" by bumping up the number by 1000.  "For RGB pixels, the number you enter is the pixel number. 1-999 are pixels on the first RGB string. 1001-1999 are pixels on the second RGB string, 2001-2999 are on the third RGB string, etc."  Later,  you can go back in and assign a Unit ID to each string or a DMX universe (Take a look at this LOR help file)
  • Your workflow should look like this:
    • Column 1 (down): 1, 2, 3, ....83
    • Column 2 (up): 84, 85, 86...99,100, 1001, 1002, 1003...1065,1066.
    • Column 3 (down): 1067,1068....1099, 1100, 2001, 2002, ... 

Using this approach, you can set a custom length for each string (which, yours all happen to be 100) and you can organize them in any zig-zag organization you want. By bumping the "string" numbers up by 1000 for each string (string 1 = 1-100, string 2 = 1001 - 1100, string 3=2001, etc.) you can control the number of strings you have.

Hope it helps.

prop.png