Light-O-Rama Forums

Matrix size recommended for legibility

grouptcl

I am looking to create a matrix for my balcony and I am struggling with size/distance and legibility

I have a balcony ramp that has a size of 138 * 42

Street is about 30 feet away from the balcony
I wish to display some writing like : tune this station, welcome, happy holiday and some effects etc etc

I would like you guys reccomendations as far as distance between pixels and overall size.
What is my minimum qty of rows so that it is legible ?

Is it better 5 rows at 2 inches between pixels or say 5 rows @ 4 inches apart is more legible from a distance ?

Is the definition improved when packing more pixels in a smaller area ?

Can I use ribbons ?  or are pixels better and why ?

I know many questions....

Thanks in advance for your precious input

Maison.jpg

For text,  it is hard to form legible letters with just a few rows.      I would say the minimum is 8 rows if you find a font without descenders like on lowercase p j y q .    If you are ok with using all uppercase letters  PJYQ will look better.  

I have made matrix out of every pixel type and still use my first tiny ribbon matrix which is made of four ribbons, 10 x 20 pixels about 4 feet by 5 feet.   It was cool before LOR offered bullet pixels.   Now I really like the 12v square pixel, 800 to 1600 spaced 2 inches apart in both directions.      

Some people have great success with p10 or p5 panels for signs.

My sign here.

Edited by ItsMeBobO

My opinion would be to go with a P10 matrix.  If you are trying to make something like a long skinny ribbon, you could do something like one panel high by whatever width you have.  I would put the matrix on the outside face of the balcony railing and go as wide as the railing.  If you want a taller and shorter matrix, you could go with a different arrangement.  This is my 4W x 3H P10 matrix and below that is a 3W x 2H P5 matrix hanging from my ceiling for testing.

Matrix_panels_hanging_close-up.jpg

My 10mm pixel node tune to sign is 8x18

My other 2 are 50x24

Donr need a huge matrix for tune and words.

Images do not do well on the 8x18 so just colors and words.

Viewing distance. Is fine for either

JR

Understood that 2 inches is a good density ?

Thanks guys

As I am a newbie, what is a P10 panel and where does one find these ?

1 hour ago, grouptcl said:

As I am a newbie, what is a P10 panel and where does one find these ?

A P10 panel is a standard 160mm x 320mm display panel that has 16 pixels on one axis and 32 pixels on the other on 10mm spacing for a total of 512 pixels.  That spacing is obviously smaller than is possible with any available individual pixels.  One of the biggest advantage of the P10 panels is that they are inexpensive.  I think I paid something like US$11 each for the 12 panels shown in the upper matrix in my photo earlier.  The P10 matrix shown is 1,280mm wide by 480mm high with 6,144 pixels.  In this photo below, the camera was about 15 meters from the P10- matrix.

Front_of_House_2018-12-03.jpg

BTW, a P5 panel is the same size, but the pixels are on 5mm spacing, so you get 32 x 64 pixels per panel for 2,048 pixels per panel.  If you search the forum for P10, you will get LOTS of hits.

BTW, the P10 matrix was easily readable with my normal three lines of text up to 30 meters away.

Do you have a link to a supplier ? Or amazon product, I dont seem to find them at the 10-12 dollar mark ?

Seems to be indoor and outdoor Panels ?

What contoller are you guys using to drive such matrixes ?

There also seems to be a scan rate ? 1/4, 1/8 etc, what does that mean ?

Edited by grouptcl

Lots of sources for P5 and P10 panels.  I got mine from Ray Wu's store on Alibaba in China.  Did a quick search and found these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/866772137.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.2.6c8a2928iybK2u

Get the indoor panels (several reasons why) and build an enclosure.

As for controllers, there are a couple ways to drove them.  The most common is to use a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone running Falcon Player.  Set the FPP into Bridge mode and it gets treated as an e1.31 controller as far as LOR is concerned.

LOTS of data about that on this forum and others.  If you are serious about going with a P10 matrix, we can spend more time explaining stuff.

I am dead serious, I just need to find the right stuff and place an order in the next few days.

I am a newbie but starting somewhat strong ( weel maybe not by you guys standard lol)
1 got 2 * 16 channels AC
3 Pixie 8
1 pixie 16
3 CCII ribbons
8 RGB Floods

Close to 2 000 lights to start with not counting the matrix I want to setup

Lights, bulbs etc, want to be ready for Halloween  (62 days - 2 weeks so it 's up for a little while at least)

So yes, I am serious lol

Seriously infected the wife would say

PS why choose indoor panels if we are setting them up outside ?  Price point is better ?  or better control of weather in an enclosure ?

Edited by grouptcl

I am going to suggest that you call me on the phone as a lot of the FPP stuff can be handled far faster with an interactive phone call rather than back and forth forum posts.  I will PM you my number.