Light-O-Rama Forums

CCPs Failing at an Alarming Rate

Boater227

I am doing a test run of a 16 strand Mega-Tree using Cosmic Color Pixels with a Pixie 16 controller.  I am finding that every few days, another pixel seems to fail with the result that all of the rest of the pixels down the line are not working.  The failed pixels seem to be pretty random in their position in the strands of 50, but always it's the pixels closest to the Pixie 16 that are still lit after the failure.

As you can imagine, this is a pretty disturbing and expensive problem.  

Has anybody seen this happen to them?

21 minutes ago, Boater227 said:

I am doing a test run of a 16 strand Mega-Tree using Cosmic Color Pixels with a Pixie 16 controller.  I am finding that every few days, another pixel seems to fail with the result that all of the rest of the pixels down the line are not working.  The failed pixels seem to be pretty random in their position in the strands of 50, but always it's the pixels closest to the Pixie 16 that are still lit after the failure.

As you can imagine, this is a pretty disturbing and expensive problem.  

Has anybody seen this happen to them?

Are they LOR CCR's?

How old are they. LOR has a great warranty. Last year I had a bunch go out as well, maybe a bad batch or something but all were replaced under warranty. (9 or 11 strands if I recall)

I did make them a video and included it with my HD ticket.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Is this all unmodified LOR pixels and connectors. If so, it may be time to create a help ticket.

If you made connections or other mods, you need to check your work, and possibly your power supply.

Yes, these are CCPs as delivered from LOR with the unmodified Pixie 16.  I measured the power supply voltage and it's just a hair over 12 volts, so that does not explain it.

These were ordered a few months ago.  You would think others would be having this problem if it were a bad batch, but who knows.

What is LOR warranty?

Many thanks.

9 minutes ago, Boater227 said:

Yes, these are CCPs as delivered from LOR with the unmodified Pixie 16.  I measured the power supply voltage and it's just a hair over 12 volts, so that does not explain it.

These were ordered a few months ago.  You would think others would be having this problem if it were a bad batch, but who knows.

What is LOR warranty?

Many thanks.

http://www1.lightorama.com/warranties/

http://store.lightorama.com/smrgpibuandr.html

http://store.lightorama.com/12v16rgbbupa.html

A hair over 12v would not make a difference.

Make them a video and open a HD ticket. They are pretty fast at replacing.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks JR.

One of the most problematic aspects of this issue is that they are failing over time, typically a few days apart.  Actually, when I originally got them, I tested them all and had to return one.

Now that I am doing a "burn in" I am seeing them failing slowly.  I'll work the warranty of course, but who knows whether they will keep failing after my burn in.

Never had an issue with CCRs!

• The topic was locked