Light-O-Rama Forums

CCRII ribbons not in RGB color order?

lzimmerman

I bought pixels and controllers several months ago and just got around to testing them as I start to build new stuff for this year’s show. This will be the first year running pixels in the show, though I played around with them a bit last season. When I run the hardware utility on my new Pixie 2 controllers with 2 CCRII ribbons (purchased as a set), the colors are not right - I tell it to do red and the lights go blue or I ask for blue and I get green. 

To do some troubleshooting I got out a string of bullets pixels and connected them to one of the controller plugs and they behave as expected. I then got a second Pixie 2 out and connected it to the test network (just the two Pixies). The bullets connected to either controller behave as expected and the ribbons connected to either controller display the wrong colors. 

It seems like the RGB channels are not in the standard order on my ribbons, but that seems odd as I have never seen anyone mention that as a configuration item you need to set. I suppose I could go into the sequence editor and change the RGB channel mapping for every node on these strings, but that seems like a lot of work for something that should work “out of the box”.

Am I missing something?

There is no set standard for the RGB color order, the color order may be different from each manufacturer. You will need to go into the pixie setup and change the RGB color order so it matches your lights.

Pixie.JPG.4f7df7fdf45d003ac06a66aae5da4837.JPG

8 hours ago, lzimmerman said:

I bought pixels and controllers several months ago and just got around to testing them as I start to build new stuff for this year’s show. This will be the first year running pixels in the show, though I played around with them a bit last season. When I run the hardware utility on my new Pixie 2 controllers with 2 CCRII ribbons (purchased as a set), the colors are not right - I tell it to do red and the lights go blue or I ask for blue and I get green. 

To do some troubleshooting I got out a string of bullets pixels and connected them to one of the controller plugs and they behave as expected. I then got a second Pixie 2 out and connected it to the test network (just the two Pixies). The bullets connected to either controller behave as expected and the ribbons connected to either controller display the wrong colors. 

It seems like the RGB channels are not in the standard order on my ribbons, but that seems odd as I have never seen anyone mention that as a configuration item you need to set. I suppose I could go into the sequence editor and change the RGB channel mapping for every node on these strings, but that seems like a lot of work for something that should work “out of the box”.

Am I missing something?

To elaborate on what my friend Mr. P describes above which is what you need to do.

That screen can be found in the HU.

Open HU

Look down towards bottom of page in the center and click the tab as shown. You will have to test each color order until you see the color order is correct.

Another note- they do work out of the box however just as in everything else you have to read the manuals. It is all covered in that yellow book that was included in the boxes. If you set it up now with the pixels you have now and then go somewhere else and buy pixels chances are you will have mis matched colors. 

JR

Instead of going through each color order to find the correct order just test them. Turn on Red and if Blue comes on then the first color is B. Then turn on Green and if Red comes on then the second color is R. At this point you will know the order is BRG.

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Instead of going through each color order to find the correct order just test them. Turn on Red and if Blue comes on then the first color is B. Then turn on Green and if Red comes on then the second color is R. At this point you will know the order is BRG.

This thread reminded me that I need to change out my pixel nodes on my spider webb. When I put the nodes on I used old strings and used one of my pixie16's that I had different color order strings on my circles. LOL , just to dang lazy for a couple years to do it. There are a lot of zip ties. I imagine I will be reminded again next year.

JR

Thanks for the rapid and helpful responses. Seems like this would have come up before, but I did not see it addressed in the last couple years of posts. I do now see the paragraph on color order in the manual, but it is interesting that the couple page instruction sheet on connecting the pixels to the controller did not mention the need to set color order. Live and learn.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:40 AM, Mr. P said:

That's EXACTLY what I had to do last year (my first year with RGB pixels and the Pixie controller) AFTER I figured that I had one bad string (but that's another story).

This turned out to be slightly harder than it should have. Whoever at LoR set the controller for the lights it was supposed to be integrated with not only did not get that right, but they left a jumper on JP5 which told the controller to ignore any new settings sent by the hardware utility. Once I found that and removed it your suggestions worked great. Oh, the second Pixie2/CCR combo I ordered during the Summer Sale worked perfectly out of the box.

Now the problem is another Pixie2 that I ordered with (4) 50 pixel strings of square pixels. I got the Unit ID and the number of pixels per port set correctly using the Hardware Utility. However, multiple attempts to set the correct color order have not stuck, even though the hardware utility says it successfully sent the configuration change. I did notice that this controller is running v1.04 of the firmware and I think all the others are at 1.03. Any ideas?

Try downgrading the firmware. It doesn't take long. And you can always bump it back up if you need to. That was one of the other issues I had with my Pixie II from last year. After I figured out the bad string. And the right color sequence (it was BRG, NOT RGB). Otherwise, everything worked great.