Light-O-Rama Forums

Converting to RGB, what to buy???

RGBNewbie

I've been using LOR for years with just regular lights. I have one RBG Christmas tree that just gives me lots of problems. BUT, I would like to convert the lights that outline my whole house to RGB. Right now I have 5 strands of red, green, blue, white and multi lights twisted together that I outline my whole house with. It not only takes up a lot of channels, it's cumbersome. I know I can replace that with RGB, I just don't know what to buy and need recommendations. 

I'm also concerned as I know they come in fairly short lengths that somehow have to be hooked together. I'm wondering how I turn corners or go around a small window (or larger window that the RGB string) etc. 

Would appreciate some advice or if you know of videos that explain such things. 

I use all RGB Bulbs from LOR on my eaves and gutters. They are spaced 6" apart (standard as they come from LOR). You can get them in sets of 2 strands of 100 bulbs with one controller for both strands. So that makes each strand about 50' long. Of course you have to get power and data cables to each controller but since you can place the controllers 100' apart to spread the two 50' lengths out - that's really not a big deal (at least I don't think so). I also have some of those 100-bulb strings wrapping some tree trunks in my yard. 6" spacing seems to be very easily visible from the street.

I also have 6 of the LOR 16X25 (6.5 foot tall) RGB Trees. I have never had any problems with them - perhaps if you reply with the issues you're having we might be able to help on that, too.

Edited by jamills706

Oh - as to how they hook together - the 100 bulb strands are actually 2 strands of 50 that screw together with a built in connector...and screw on to the controller the same way.

I believe, if you need to spread them out further you can attach an "extension cable" (available from LOR) to the controller as long as you don't make the first pixel any farther than 25' from the controller.

Ah thanks. That's good for the long runs, but what would you do to go around a window that say needs 15'?  Do you cut them and then that gets it's own power and data cable?

Here's a (bad) photo of my house...I have others somewhere. I outline the whole roofline, go across the gutter at the bottom of the roof, go across the top of the bricks mid-house and around the windows. I'm not sure how to get all those separate sections.

Christmas2005_31.jpg

That is a problem I have yet to adequately solve - certainly if you cut and spice the LOR pixels you wipe out the warranty. I guess your best bet is to run them in a continuous path (even though some may not be needed). then in the S5 Preview of the house, set up sections of the string of 100 to be each window while ignoring those you don't want to light. You'd have to be certain that you only sequenced to the specified groups so the others would stay unlit.

So, for example, you could take Unit ID 8 which contains 100 bulbs and set the first 29 as "Window 1" - using pixels 1-29; then set 30-37 as "Unused 1"; then 38-52 as "Window 2"; then 53-65 as "unused 2"; then 66-95 as "window 3"; and finally 96-100 as "unused 3".

Then you can sequence each window or all windows by addressing "Window 1," Window 2," and Window 3."

As long as you don't send signals to the "unused" pixels they will not light up during your sequence.

Perhaps someone else will offer some other suggestion, but that is how I have used pixels to cover different areas.

So if I get say 12 strings of the WS2811 pixels, and one of the pixel controllers, is that all I need? Do the lights come with the cord that goes from the pixels to the controller or do I have to buy that separately as well?

You cannot put more than 100 pixels on one output from the controller. Now you can get controllers that support 16 outputs (or 16 strands of 100 bulbs)...but the all have to come from the central located controller. In my case I've purchased the controllers that support only 2 outputs...so that I can scatter them all around. if your strands are all going to start within 25 set of the central controller then you can easily get just the one 16 output controller.

You can also buy the controllers with strands of 50 if having 100 connected to one output is too many bulbs.

This problem is one of the reasons I concentrate my pixels on the eaves/gutters and on props in the landscape. I do not outline any of my windows. I have thought about hanging a big snowflake on each window though - haven't made that happen yet - but it's a thought I've been contemplating!

BTW - there are several companies out there that produce sort of inexpensive coroplast cutouts with predrilled holes for pixels (bullets not bulbs) in the shape of stars, snowflakes, etc.

The one I have purchased from is Boscoyo - though other folks seem equally as pleased with some of the other companies - I just have no experience with them.

Oh, I see! But the 2 output controller is on sale  for $50. The 16 is only $90.  To run 12 strings, I'd need 3 of the 2 output controllers, so that would be $150. I'm still confused as to what type of power cord you need to run from the lights themselves to the controller, and do the lights come with that cord? Does it come in different lengths?

RGB Newbie 

(Another Pixel Newbie here) I tend to use 'RGB' for Dumb and 'Pixels' for smart/addressable

RGB is not very distance sensitive (just pay attention to wire sizes). OTOH Pixels have given me grief if I get things over 15" apart.

IMHO You can break a string into pieces for windows (props) that are under 15' of jumper cable between nodes (or the ) controller.

And, yes, the pixels can connect to the controller straight out of the box, as they come. Only need to buy extensions if you want to move the first pixel farther away from the controller (I believe there is like a 4' or 6' lead in wire on the first pixel - can't recall exactly).

the 2 output price INCLUDES the PSU

the 16 (8 or 4) do not have a PSU nor case  Oranges and Potatoes 😛 

And the controllers (if you get the prepackaged sets - which is what I always do) have their own built in power supplies....so they have a standard electrical plug and two (or more) outputs to the pixels. 

I wouldn't suggest buying them as pieces and parts, just get the packaged one - under the category Plug-N-Show Cosmic Color Packages (CCCII).

You can get them with strands of 50 or strands of 100; and as bulbs or bullet (pixels). They also make ribbon style - but I have felt the ribbons seemed more fragile.

Sorry, don't know what a PSU is.

It looks like on the controller it has an ethernet hub to plug the lights in? But the lights look like they have some kind of 3 prong plug???

As THeDucks mentioned - the 2-output units come all assembled and ready to go - the others do not.

I'm not one to fiddle about with assembling all those things to make sure they are waterproof, etc.....I just get the preassembled 1-outpu units ---- these work best for me since I have to spread the controllers out around the eaves and on various locations in the landscape.

The RJ-45 connect (you call ethernet connector) is where the data from the computer connects to drive the controller and subsequent pixels. the Pixels have a screw on connector that attaches to the controller's outputs. 

So you have a power cord, a data cable, and 2 outputs coming out of the waterproof box (which contains the power supply, and controller.

While I said computer - some folks also get the Showtime Director (or something similar) sold by LOR and use that to run their show rather than using their computer. In that case the entire show, with music and sequences is loaded on an SD card and that then drives the controllers rather than the computer. I have a small laptop devoted just to my light show but the first year I did use one of the showtime directors.

So those kits come with everything you need, and each one is 200 lights, so 4 strings of 50? 2 strings (100 bulbs) can be  hooked together for about 50' of lights, and each set of 2, plugs into one port on the controller. So you can't go 100', you have to go 50' in opposite directions from the center controller? 

Then the controller gets an ethernet cable that daisy chains into a LOR controller?