Light-O-Rama Forums

newbie with no output on 1-4 channels

phildo

Have you tried the Kit troubleshooting guide? It's pretty thorough...

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/Kit_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

A couple of thoughts:

• R15 is the resistor network "in charge of" Channels 1-4. Check its solder connections.
  • Are the opto's (the white chips) oriented properly? For Channels 1-4, they should be oriented with the dot facing down and the Fairchild logo (which looks a bit like a dot) facing up. If channels 5-8 work, just make sure they're oriented the same way as those.
  • Check, and reflow, all solder joints in the neighborhood of channels 1-4 and R15 (optos, spade lugs, resistors, triac.

Good luck!

-Tim

hey tim... thanks for your advice i checked out the link but everything there is right all my i c chips are the right direction i resoldered everything on the board and checked resistance values on r-15 thats good also i have continutity tone between r-15 and all my ic chips i really dont know what else to check but hey thanks for your time

phildo wrote:

hey tim... thanks for your advice i checked out the link but everything there is right all my i c chips are the right direction i resoldered everything on the board and checked resistance values on r-15 thats good also i have continutity tone between r-15 and all my ic chips i really dont know what else to check but hey thanks for your time

Can you take a picture of the component side of the board and post it here? Maybe someone can see what is wrong.

phildo wrote:

Also email support@lightorama.com. Dan can give you actual pin #'s to check to trace continuity all the way from the micro through the triac, if necessary.

Good luck!

-Tim

We received an email today about a problem like this so this may be the same kit. We responded to the email but this is a common problem that should be noted.

In the kit there are 5 - 8 pin network resistors . 4 of them are the same( 470ohm), the other one is a 4700ohm resistor. Those 4 are R15, R16, R18 and R19. Each of them feeds 4 consecutive channels. R15 handles channels 1 thru 4.

The other 8 pin network resistor is R1 (4,700ohm). It looks the same but has a slightly different part number. If you mix up R1 with one of the other 4 resistors then a bank of 4 channels will not work. The controller still works for the other channels because the unit does work (but not optimally) with one of the 470 ohm network resistors in position R1. However if you place the 4700 ohm resistor in one of the R15,16,18 or 19 then that group of 4 channels does not work.

It is most likely in this case that R1 and R15 are swapped.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

We received an email today about a problem like this so this may be the same kit. We responded to the email but this is a common problem that should be noted.

In the kit there are 5 - 8 pin network resistors . 4 of them are the same( 470ohm), the other one is a 4700ohm resistor. Those 4 are R15, R16, R18 and R19. Each of them feeds 4 consecutive channels. R15 handles channels 1 thru 4.

The other 8 pin network resistor is R1 (4,700ohm). It looks the same but has a slightly different part number. If you mix up R1 with one of the other 4 resistors then a bank of 4 channels will not work. The controller still works for the other channels because the unit does work (but not optimally) with one of the 470 ohm network resistors in position R1. However if you place the 4700 ohm resistor in one of the R15,16,18 or 19 then that group of 4 channels does not work.

It is most likely in this case that R1 and R15 are swapped.

Cool, good one to add to the troubleshooting document :D

-Tim

THANK YOU Dan that was my prob i didnt pay close enough attention to that number on it and i just thought that when i did a resistance check it was auto ranging on my meter so cool deal i appreciate the assistance ...and to everyone else thatnks for the support and all the quick responses to my problem

PROPS TO EVERYONE

thanks again

Phil