Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Faces - Incandescent to LED

DocBrown86

Years ago I made singing faces, and 7 foot tall out of incandescent rope lights. I am looking at remaking them but noticed that where I last got them (1000bulbs I believe) has moved on to LED. Now I'm not opposed to using LED rope lights, however they do state that they are not dimmable. This would be an issue for me.

So, have any of you used cuttable LED rope lights that can dim? Is there a chance that even though they say they are not dimmable, that they actually are? Is there a way around this problem?

1 hour ago, DocBrown86 said:

Years ago I made singing faces, and 7 foot tall out of incandescent rope lights. I am looking at remaking them but noticed that where I last got them (1000bulbs I believe) has moved on to LED. Now I'm not opposed to using LED rope lights, however they do state that they are not dimmable. This would be an issue for me.

So, have any of you used cuttable LED rope lights that can dim? Is there a chance that even though they say they are not dimmable, that they actually are? Is there a way around this problem?

noveltylights.com still has incandescent as well as LED rope lights.  Ican is cuttable at 18inches and the LED cuttable at 30inches.

Dimmable ,led rope ,go to Christmas LED's .com  Or speak to Val there great Gal. I just replaced all the rope on five six foot wire frame snowflakes ,with pure white and I added blue, both are dimmable . I used 3/8 and it is very flexable ,very easy to work with and they look WOW. You can get cut lengths or a roll 150'

Good Luck

David

23 minutes ago, DLH lites said:

Dimmable ,led rope ,go to Christmas LED's .com  Or speak to Val there great Gal. I just replaced all the rope on five six foot wire frame snowflakes ,with pure white and I added blue, both are dimmable . I used 3/8 and it is very flexable ,very easy to work with and they look WOW. You can get cut lengths or a roll 150'

Good Luck

David

Is it possible the website is different? 3/8” dimmable LED would be amazing, but it says the domain is for sale...

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on making these for the first time.  How difficult is it to cut these and add plugs at the end?  Is there somewhere I should look for instructions on this?

4 minutes ago, commwagg24 said:

I am working on making these for the first time.  How difficult is it to cut these and add plugs at the end?  Is there somewhere I should look for instructions on this?

I made my first set years ago. Piece of cake. Should be dashed lines at every available cutting point. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:15 PM, commwagg24 said:

Thanks Doc, and then what do you use to make the plug ends.  Is there something you prefer?

I just buy them. Since you have to somewhat force in the 2 prongs, you're better off that way. 

The LED rope light from the Christmas LED site ended up not being omni-directional. Basically they are pretty dim from the side, so that isn't going to work...

Went back to the site fro 3/8" incandescent, but they are sold out of every color!! 😫