Light-O-Rama Forums

More Newbie Questions:

Lou Knudson

1.) Has anyone else purchased the sequences on CD from LOR ? I purchased both packages hoping to save some time. I haven't had time to install them or look into how to do it. They are for 16 or 32 channel systems and I am starting out with 48. I know it mentioned you can add channels, but didn't go into detail.

2.) Some members have very nice websites for their display. This is something else I would like to do. My internet provider has limited space for creating your own website and lists some software that can be used to create one. Just curious if most of you created you own or paid someone to set it up?

3.) How do you add " Offical Newbie" or "Official L-O-R User with XXX Channels" to the information you post.

Maybe there is such a thing as a dumb questions.

I'm still working on building a sub-panel to power my new L-O-R. All of you that have the count down in days until the lights go on are making me nervous. I usually do a Halloween display too, but it might not happen this year!

Lou :?

Definitely not dumb questions!

1) I've not purchased any of my sequences, but once you have a sequence file, you can change it at will. The pre-canned ones will be done 'generically' to try to look decent on as many displays as possible. You can customize them by adding new channels, changing the sequence, etc. How to do this involves essentially the same questions as "how do I sequence from scratch"... It's best to start by reading the docs to learn the sequence editor, and then scan the forum for people's timesaving tips on how to sequence. Sequencing is very time-consuming, but if you do it well your display will look awesome and it's well worth the time.

2) Most of us use a hosting provider separate from our internet provider. While I suspect some people pay to have their site designed, I think most of us build theirs from scratch (or from templates). I host my sites at 1&1, hosting options starting at $3.99/month: http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=9849093.

3) You're on your own for that one -- I'm not big on those things :D. Here on the LOR forums everyone's an "official LOR user" pretty much. On PC, though, I think it does give some great publicity (and business) to LOR. I'm not big on bragging about the number of channels I have in big letters at the bottom of every post, though... no offense intended to people who do that -- it's just not my style.

Anyway good luck!
-Tim

Lou Knudson wrote:

1.) Has anyone else purchased the sequences on CD from LOR ? I purchased both packages hoping to save some time. I haven't had time to install them or look into how to do it. They are for 16 or 32 channel systems and I am starting out with 48. I know it mentioned you can add channels, but didn't go into detail.

2.) Some members have very nice websites for their display. This is something else I would like to do. My internet provider has limited space for creating your own website and lists some software that can be used to create one. Just curious if most of you created you own or paid someone to set it up?

3.) How do you add " Offical Newbie" or "Official L-O-R User with XXX Channels" to the information you post.

Maybe there is such a thing as a dumb questions.

I'm still working on building a sub-panel to power my new L-O-R. All of you that have the count down in days until the lights go on are making me nervous. I usually do a Halloween display too, but it might not happen this year!

Lou :?

"2.) Some members have very nice websites for their display. This is something else I would like to do. My internet provider has limited space for creating your own website and lists some software that can be used to create one. Just curious if most of you created you own or paid someone to set it up?"

you can also use GEOCITIES from yahooooo

it is free http://www.geocities.com/koldechristmas/

http://geocities.yahoo.com/home/

Just started to make mine ,one thing you have to make a yahoo account
like mine is KOLDECHRISTMAS so the web page will be named that if that makes scene. Like if you make a account named Fred Hot, well your web page will be

http://www.geocities.com/Fredhot/

Good luck

Jeff

Love the "Rule of Thumb"!

Website development can chew up as much time as your display. I would stick with Geo, Yahoo, or the like as they are more "canned" and don't eat up valuable sequencing/fabrication time.

Brian

bigbth wrote:

Love the "Rule of Thumb"!

Website development can chew up as much time as your display. I would stick with Geo, Yahoo, or the like as they are more "canned" and don't eat up valuable sequencing/fabrication time.

Brian

Well, it's all about priorities. For me, I can't see spending thousands on a display over the years and 'advertising' it to the world on a free-hosted site with tons of annoying popups. For about $50 a year, you can have your own domain and a professional-looking site. Of course you have to build it yourself, but templates are available and it really isn't that hard...

But everyone's got their own priorities... I probably have more people "see" our display via the internet than in real life, since it's up 24/7/365 and available to the whole world, so I try to make it at least somewhat accessible (although I've been pretty negligent about things like getting current videos posted...)

-Tim