Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX device loses DMX mode

don731

I have a Chauvet Scorpion three beam laser that I run on a separate DMX line from LOR.  It’s been rock solid for 2-3 years.  The DMX line then goes to another light.  The laser is now losing it’s DMX mode both prior to running a sequence and during a sequence.  Replugged the cables and high speed LOR dongle.  Perhaps a cable/dongle failure?  Or device related?  

Does the downstream light continue to work or not. 

It should help pinpoint the failure point. 

If it is working, rules out the dongle and cable's, points to the device. If they both fail then it's upstream of the laser, cable or dongle, or possibly PC or programming.

Downstream device is not working.  Figured next I would swap the two cables.  No change in the PC at all.  

We need to find out where the gremlin is hiding. Control Panel is running, yes? and you have tried rebooting the PC and restarting the software?

Take one cable to the dongle and try each device in turn.

If neither work try a different cable with each in turn.

If still dark, chances are it's not the cables or the devices. Changes the focus to the dongle or it's input cable

If the second device works, with either or both  cables  the chances are the first device has a problem. Try resetting all the settings and try it again.

Just a matter of working through all the combinations.

So I think I have a corrupted sequence.  I tried the normal boot process, laser connected to the laptop normally, and ran a couple of different sequences each with several DMX laser changes.  All worked perfectly.  

Hopefully you’ve figured it out, but be aware, that if the issue is somewhere in the DMX chain, it may not be at the malfunctioning unit. DMX can get funny when there is something wrong with a signal chain; sometimes the issue isn’t even near the fixture that is giving you grief. 

• This topic was locked, unlocked and locked