Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter group buy on EDM LCD ends 10/31/08

taybrynn

Thanks --- that's true, the EDM LCD does not have an input power meter.

EDM does provide a way to measure for dangerous input levels using a $1 LED. It also has a built in limiter and compressor ... so it would be very hard to overdrive the EDM, but it's still possible.

The big selling points for the EDM is reliability (2 year warranty), sound quality, price ($50-150 less) and top notch specs (that are actually published).

Here is a direct quote from the EDM web site, Features page.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A TRANSMITTER KIT WITH ALL THE "BELLS AND WHISTLES" THEN YOU ARE AT THE WRONG PLACE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR KITS DESIGNED FOR PERFORMANCE - NOT LOOKS, READ ON
[line]Ok folks, Batch#9 is now active.

edmlcdgroupbuyv080508.jpg

The folks on the waiting list were given the first change to place orders, but the good news is that there is still 2 remaining transmitters available in Batch#9.

This is a great time to get in on this deal.

PM me 4 the link -- http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/pm.php?send_to=taybrynn

Scott

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• tmadak

• garyfunk

• hbomb341

You are right. This unit is well worth every penny it costs. I would recommend it for all the reasons you stated. I wasn't aware of the limiter/compressor feature. Do you have any more information on the LED or the limiter/compressor features (or can you point me to where I can find more info.) Thanks Scott!

Tom

Thanks Tom.

Its really useful to hear from actual owners of both products like yourself.

Did you mean to say LED or LCD ? The older EDM model was called the LED (because it used an LED display, I guess) ... and the newest model is called the LCD (because it uses an LCD display, I guess).

Both are good. LCD has many improvements over the LED. The LED is still comparable to the Ramsey FM25B ... esp. the LED that sells for $136 model (w/ 10 or 100 power options) ... and is similarly easy to build.

Anyways, you may want to check out the EDM yahoo group for more details. That crowd is a pretty technical one and very helpful.

[align=center]Batch#9 is closed :cool:
10 of 10 orders confirmed ...
[/align]

taybrynn wrote:

EDM does provide a way to measure for dangerous input levels using a $1 LED. It also has a built in limiter and compressor ... so it would be very hard to overdrive the EDM, but it's still possible.

Hi Scott,

No, I was wondering where I can get some more information on the $1 LED for monitoring the input levels. Also, I'll do a search, but do you have the name of the yahoo group?

Tom

Tom,

I attached the line level tool pdf to this message.

Here is how you join the EDM yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/edmdesign/join

You may need to cut and paste it, as I can't figure out how
to create a hyperlink on this board for some reason.

This group is best for owners of the EDM LED or LCD ... as
its fairly technical and requires moderator approval to join.

For those just getting a transmitter and wondering:
Where are the instructions? or Where is the receipt?

There are no paper instructions in the kit. No invoice either ... that is all normal, not a mistake. This is posted in my original post.

This is the #1 complaint I get ... lack of printed instructions and manual. I have forwarded customer complaints to EDM, but they stand by their reasoning ... and have reasons for NOT including a printed manual ... its apparently related to a local 'green policy' and also to reduce shipping weight/costs.

As rbar already stated ... EDM mails you the instructions when you place your order ... but probably 30% of the time, you may not get it due to either ISP SPAM filtering, blacklisting (against SA in general) or your own SPAM filters.

So no worries ...

You should be able to download the .PDF instructions (and can then print it) from my post at 1:29pm here:
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum80/16823-3.html

The case comes with 2 screws on, and two off, in a plastic bag.

You take of the 2 back screws off to open it up to do the assembly. Later when you put it back together you would use all 4 screws.

Besides the simple soldering, be careful to make sure you insert the chip with the correct orientation. Essentially, the 'HALF MOON' side of the IC chip should be pointing AWAY FROM the two black frequency adjustment buttons (and away from the baby blue power adjustment). The half moon should be on the LCD display side, not clearly visible once the LCD is put back over the top of the IC chip.

Attaching your transmitter to the computer is normally done using a 1/8" male to dual-RCA male cable (mini headphone to L&R RCA jack cord). You can get those many places for $10 or less. The LEFT and RIGHT inputs are on the same side of the transmitter as the power plug. On the opposite side of the transmitter, is a single RCA jack and that is where you plug the antenna into. (i.e. test antenna or one you build yourself with RCA-connector or F-Conn to RCA adaptor).

Another COMMON problem can be when people attach the transmitter to a powered output ... it should be attached to a line-out from the soundcard or the headphone jack on a laptop. Adjust the levels to achieve the best sound possible.

Also, running a 1/8" (headphone) extension cord is useful in getting the transmitter further away from the computer, monitor, printer, fax machine ... or other sources of potential RF interference that could degrade your sound quality input or transmission clarity.

So run the cable as far from potential interference as possible. That also makes putting the antenna a better location easier as well. So Ideally, find either a long 1/8 to dual-RCA cable (hard to find) ... or get both a 1/8 extension cable and the 1/8 to dual-RCA cable for a more optimal setup. I've seen 25' and 50' extension cords on ebay for $5 to $10 shipped.

An example would be this ebay combo, which is under $10 BTW
link to ebay cord and extension

You basically tune in to the station you want using the buttons that can be accessed through the enclosure. I just used a toothpick to adjust mine with. One button tunes "UP" while the other button tunes "DOWN". It remembers where you last left it between power up/down cycles.

The transmitter comes preset to 10 mW power and can only be adjusted with the lid OFF. Read the instructions on how to do that.

Let me know if you still need the instructions and I'll email to you (if you provide an email address).

Regards,
Scott

Attached files lineleveltoolfromEDM.pdf

I am creating a batch#10 "waiting list" for those who are seriously interested.

Please just PM me if your interested in what will be the last EDM transmitter group buy in 2008.

Folks on the waiting list we get a PM (from me) if/when batch#10 begins. They will have priority, since they will get the link earlier than the boards will.

You can specify whether you want me to PM you the sale link or email it to you. If you want me to email, please send me the email you want to me to send it to.

If, for some reason, EDM is unable to do a batch#10 this year ... then my apologies in advance. I think if we get enough folks interested, we could likely pull off one final group buy in 2008!

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott,

I signed up to the EDM group. Thanks for the information about the tool. I tried it and it works. Looks like some good information on the yahoo group site.

Tom

I will find out about batch#10 on Tuesday.

PM me if you want to get on the batch#10 waiting list.

The list has 7 folks already, some who missed out on #9 because it went so fast.

This will be the last EDM group buy in 2008.

Scott

The EDM LCD transmitter - group buy - Batch#10 has started.

This will be the final EDM LCD group buy of 2008.

Those on the waiting list have been notified.

PM me for the batch#10 sale link ASAP and I'll do my best to get it to you. I am on vacation right now, so that could be tricky for me to accomplish, but I will try.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/pm.php?send_to=taybrynn

EDM can close batch#10 anytime after the required 10 orders are received. They left open the possibility that more than 10 orders could be placed, so I encourage anyone looking for a great transmitter at a great price to consider this last group buy of the year from EDM.

EDM has assured me that folks placing orders now should receive their transmitters by Thanksgiving weekend, for their 2008 Christmas shows.

The transmitter is truly excellent, easy to assemble and comes with a 2 year warranty ... and features amazing quality, durability and sound.

Regards,
Scott

Yes, batch#9 has shipped. I don't think they have arrived in the US yet.

Batch#10 is at 10 orders ... PM me now before its too late.

Scott

taybrynn wrote:

[align=center]
BATCH # 8 - (10 of 10 confirmed orders) ...:]

Participants in Batch#8 - thanks!
[/align][align=center]

Steven

[/align]
I just received mine today.

I received mine and assembled it and it is just one faint gray line across the top of the LCD. EDM told me that the chip was in wrong or one of the legs was bent, I check both before even emailing them but I double check and still nothing. I have now sent them pictures of it and am waiting to hear back. I really hope the service is as good as I have heard on here.

FYI

Batch#10 is now closed.

We had over 10 orders ... thanks to all that participated! :D

This has been a win win, IMHO for EDM and Christmas Lighting Enthusiasts.

Thanks to EDM for doing these 10 batches for us in 2008 -- well over 120 transmitters sold and over $2000 saved for members in 2008.

Thanks to Terrypowerz for suggesting this in the first place. :)

Regards,
Scott / taybrynn